DVC Problems?: Chicago/NYC Sales Office to Close

Status
Not open for further replies.

JWG

You don't know how many times we've tried too. We had thought about buying into DVC for a good 4 year stretch from 2008-2011. We peobably would have bought in 08 if our financial sitution was right and weren't also looking to buy a house, and every year after the prices would go up and it was that much easier to say no.

I would suggest the resale market if you're really interested in DVC and don't want to pay retail rates. I think the highest resale price I've seen (for Bay Lake Tower) was $97 and most are closer to $91-$95. Then they drop significantly for other properties.

as a DVC member, there are only a few perks like saving on an annual pass and such, but we never can get the free dining plan or reduced park tickets(unless it's an annual pass).

You can get free dining as long as you agree to the same terms of any public vacationer. Purchase a room at rack rate during the promotion. It's not really "free" dining given room discounts can sometimes be a better value than "free" dining. Plus, we don't do the dining plan because we just don't eat that much. While it may save us over purchasing equal items - our normal habits are not to get a dessert at all, much less everyone get their own, and so we can save by just eating normal.

But I do agree, DVC has to be a very hard sell at their retail rates away from the parks. Especially since Disney doesn't institute the same incentives to tour (i.e. no 3 day 2 night free vacations to Disney for stopping in). Why would I want to give up 90 minutes to 2 hours for a sales pitch with no return on my time?

captainkidd

Is that a promise there will be no more DVC themed threads from you?

No.

Unless of course the forum wishes to change the name of the forum to Disney Vacation Club - Positive Comments Only. Jeez, if you don't like what I'm saying, ignore the comments.

midwest_mice

But I do agree, DVC has to be a very hard sell at their retail rates away from the parks. Especially since Disney doesn't institute the same incentives to tour (i.e. no 3 day 2 night free vacations to Disney for stopping in). Why would I want to give up 90 minutes to 2 hours for a sales pitch with no return on my time?[/quote]

The only incentive recently for visiting the DVC center at Saratoga Springs was free ice cream and I believe 4 free Fast Passes per person. We took those and rode Toy Story Mania 3 of the times and Rockn Roller Coaster!
All you do is insert a card into the machine and it spits out Fast Passes for the current time frame

Bolt

I wouldn't look into too much. Most of the sales pitches can be done online now, with interactive videos and domestic customer support for when questions arise. BLT is only a few years old and it's proof in the pudding that sales were not all too slow for that.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I wouldn't look into too much. Most of the sales pitches can be done online now, with interactive videos and domestic customer support for when questions arise. BLT is only a few years old and it's proof in the pudding that sales were not all too slow for that.

That, plus they've found ways to increase the DVC sales pitches, with the cruise ships, where the audience may be even more receptive. I don't see closing the two remote locations to be that big of a deal....

devoy1701

The only incentive recently for visiting the DVC center at Saratoga Springs was free ice cream and I believe 4 free Fast Passes per person. We took those and rode Toy Story Mania 3 of the times and Rockn Roller Coaster!
All you do is insert a card into the machine and it spits out Fast Passes for the current time frame

Sounds like they've really gone cheap-o lately. Both times we did tours of the DVC Visitor's Center while staying at Deluxe Resorts, we were offered $100 Gift Cards for our time...and both times they ended up giving us $100 each. Last time we toured as late 2010. But so far, it's Devoy1701's family: $400, DVC: $0.

captainkidd

Sounds like they've really gone cheap-o lately. Both times we did tours of the DVC Visitor's Center while staying at Deluxe Resorts, we were offered $100 Gift Cards for our time...and both times they ended up giving us $100 each. Last time we toured as late 2010. But so far, it's Devoy1701's family: $400, DVC: $0.

We always tell them we've done the tour many times and don't need to do it again. They promise us if we do it, they'll give us these gift cards. Last 2 times, they haven't. I don't say anything because my intent wasn't to get the cards, but they shouldn't put you in a situation where you should ask. Kind of uncomfortable.

jakeman

No.

Unless of course the forum wishes to change the name of the forum to Disney Vacation Club - Positive Comments Only. Jeez, if you don't like what I'm saying, ignore the comments.
It either works or it doesn't. It's a personal decision based on your vacation style and finances. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with it being positive or negative, as you've been told over and over and over again.
I did the tour twice before purchasing and got the gift cards only the first time. That was back in 2004.

We always tell them we've done the tour many times and don't need to do it again. They promise us if we do it, they'll give us these gift cards. Last 2 times, they haven't. I don't say anything because my intent wasn't to get the cards, but they shouldn't put you in a situation where you should ask. Kind of uncomfortable.
You guys do realize that they track how many times that you've taken the tour right? Also if the tour was solicited or unsolicited. I'm sure that factors in to if you receive the gift cards.

However, if you are saying that they promised you gift cards and failed to deliver them, I would hope that you spoke with management about that as that is obviously a coercive tactic to get you in the door and should not be tolerated.

devoy1701

It either works or it doesn't. It's a personal decision based on your vacation style and finances. Nothing more, nothing less. It has nothing to do with it being positive or negative, as you've been told over and over and over again.
I did the tour twice before purchasing and got the gift cards only the first time. That was back in 2004.

You guys do realize that they track how many times that you've taken the tour right? Also if the tour was solicited or unsolicited. I'm sure that factors in to if you receive the gift cards.

However, if you are saying that they promised you gift cards and failed to deliver them, I would hope that you spoke with management about that as that is obviously a coercive tactic to get you in the door and should not be tolerated.

DVC has as much info on us as the IRS does. They even knew when/where my wife graduated and that she had done so since our last visit (weird). They must record the meetings and add notes to our files.

Must everything you say be such a condescending tone?

jakeman

DVC has as much info on us as the IRS does. They even knew when/where my wife graduated and that she had done so since our last visit (weird). They must record the meetings and add notes to our files.
Or your sales rep...wait for it...took down notes with a pen and paper. Occam's Razor.

Must everything you say be such a condescending tone?
Must everything you say be about Disney being cheap?

captainkidd

No, I didn't say anything. Obviously, they keep track of how many times you go. I just didn't want to get the guy who set open house up to get in any trouble. Not sure what he could or couldn't see on his screen. And besides, I wasn't taking the tour to get the gift cards. I had some legitimate questions I wanted to talk to a sales rep about. Plus, I only agreed to go if we could see Bay Lake Tower.

captainkidd

Um, that's pretty much what I said. However, like any other purchase that I make that will cost oh, at least $100K, I like to do all my homework and take everything into consideration.

Why do you feel the need to be so rude about it?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I do not know what everyone is talking about. Acording to DVCNews.com, Sales for the first six months of 2012 where down by only 0.9% vs last year. It also said that this does not include sales at Aulani. With those sales DVC would be ahead of last year. June was a slow month for sales, only 192,088 points sold by DVC; again not including Aulani. Even if discounted to $110 per point, this would account for $21,129,680 coming mostly from AK sales. We all know that AK has been a hard location to sell. Wait till GF opens for sales and see what happens. I purchased in 2002 well below a $100 a point. I to would have a hard time purchasing at $160, but there is always the resell market.

captainkidd

I do not know what everyone is talking about. Acording to DVCNews.com, Sales for the first six months of 2012 where down by only 0.9% vs last year. It also said that this does not include sales at Aulani. With those sales DVC would be ahead of last year. June was a slow month for sales, only 192,088 points sold by DVC; again not including Aulani. Even if discounted to $110 per point, this would account for $21,129,680 coming mostly from AK sales. We all know that AK has been a hard location to sell. Wait till GF opens for sales and see what happens. I purchased in 2002 well below a $100 a point. I to would have a hard time purchasing at $160, but there is always the resell market.

I'll admit, I'm going to be very tempted by GF. However, my guess is, by opening, it will be upwards of $200 per point. My guess is Disney is assuming DVC sales there will be based on the same clientele they're already selling regular rooms to. Although, we have stayed there twice, and we're far from wealthy. To quote Ward Cleaver, "No Beaver, we're not rich. We're what you'd call, comfortable."

Actually, I'm not even sure we're comfortable.:(

devoy1701

I'll admit, I'm going to be very tempted by GF. However, my guess is, by opening, it will be upwards of $200 per point. My guess is Disney is assuming DVC sales there will be based on the same clientele they're already selling regular rooms to. Although, we have stayed there twice, and we're far from wealthy. To quote Ward Cleaver, "No Beaver, we're not rich. We're what you'd call, comfortable."

Actually, I'm not even sure we're comfortable.:(

What does the breakeven become when points are $160-$200 per point? Even if I'm staying a 7-8 nights a year on property at Deluxe Resorts for an average of $225-$250 a night, I don't know if I would ever break even.

I for one am glad i didn't buy in now that we've gotten through our WDW Withdraws. 18 months since we've been to WDW and there are so many cool places we're now planning vacations for...Disneyland, Eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise, California National Parks, Alaska, Banff National Park. I would be kicking myself now if we would have bought 3 years ago...

captainkidd

What does the breakeven become when points are $160-$200 per point? Even if I'm staying a 7-8 nights a year on property at Deluxe Resorts for an average of $225-$250 a night, I don't know if I would ever break even.

At that price point, I honestly can't fathom a break even point. Even if there was, it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't be paying those prices through DVC or regular hotel rooms on a regular basis. It's absurd.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Captainkidd you are missing my point. Everyone is saying sales are down, when they are not. Any bussiness doing $21M in sales in a bad month is not going under. Right now BLT is high priced because few points left to sale and DVC wants to push sales at AK. It is working, AK sold 148,139 points in June vs. 15,687 at BLT.

Talking about GF, I do not think that GF will be priced more that $160 and you will be able to get this discounted. WIll just have to wait and see.

I do not support DVC on everything, and if you want me to say something bad about DVC bring up two levels of membership, those buying direct and those buying resell. No maybe better off not bring that up again.

captainkidd

Oh, I didn't realize they were charging more on BLT because of the points left. I just figured they were selling it at that price point because of the location demand.

How do you get the price discounted? I've always been told "the price is what it is."

DisneyDebRob

"
I for one am glad i didn't buy in now that we've gotten through our WDW Withdraws. 18 months since we've been to WDW and there are so many cool places we're now planning vacations for...Disneyland, Eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise, California National Parks, Alaska, Banff National Park. I would be kicking myself now if we would have bought 3 years ago..."

Captain, you can do all of these things with your DVC points plus more. I'm sure you know that. Wife and I bought in back in 2004 and have been enjoying Disney and places around the world on the points. Honestly, not sure how we could afford some of the trips today of we didn't jump in back then. Guess it just works for us very well!

captainkidd

"
I for one am glad i didn't buy in now that we've gotten through our WDW Withdraws. 18 months since we've been to WDW and there are so many cool places we're now planning vacations for...Disneyland, Eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise, California National Parks, Alaska, Banff National Park. I would be kicking myself now if we would have bought 3 years ago..."

Captain, you can do all of these things with your DVC points plus more. I'm sure you know that. Wife and I bought in back in 2004 and have been enjoying Disney and places around the world on the points. Honestly, not sure how we could afford some of the trips today of we didn't jump in back then. Guess it just works for us very well!

That wasn't my quote.

However, I will respond. You can do those things with DVC, but it's ridonkulously expensive. The Disney Cruise is a joke with DVC points. Not sure about other trips, but the cruise is a big laugher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom