DVC Point-Borrowing Restrictions

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The teacher times were my personal example, not that of the general DVC ownership.

While looking at the pool in aggregate it does seem elastic, I wonder how many members as an individual are inelastic. Remember, we are booking reservations on an individual level. I'm sure there are a good number of people who can shift vacation times. But there are also a good number that cannot make big shifts. Kids and school, permitted work vacations, syncing vacations with spouses, etc. That is part of what was a 'qualifier' for DVC, if you can plan your vacation 11 or 7 months out. People who can do that tend to have less flexible vacation schedules.

While you may be able to shift some demand from one period to an other using points, I believe there is a large portion of the population that cannot make that shift.

Now, when you are talking about room sizes and point differences, that is a different story. There are many people out there who budgeted for a studio in their contracts. With studio and 1BR usually sleeping the same number of people, many people went for the studio. I think a lot of sales were also made with the point that you could afford a studio with a small points contract.

I myself prefer a 1BR, even if it just my wife and myself. If we go as a family we get a 2BR. I think the last time we had a studio was because it was all I could get. I would love to see 1BR come down in points, but then availability would tank as well.

I recall there being some sort of rule about shifting points between units as well. I don't think that it was it could not be done, but something about a limit. I'll have to see if I can find it.
No…the school times have predominance for more than just teachers.

I’m a “pull them” kinda guy…but there seems to be more blowback to that in recent years. The “traditional”
Weeks are stressed more and I bet that translates heavily to DVC

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I myself prefer a 1BR, even if it just my wife and myself. If we go as a family we get a 2BR. I think the last time we had a studio was because it was all I could get. I would love to see 1BR come down in points, but then availability would tank as well.

I recall there being some sort of rule about shifting points between units as well. I don't think that it was it could not be done, but something about a limit. I'll have to see if I can find it.
We also prefer a 1 bedroom for just the 2 of us. The only rule I remember about shifting points is that they have to add up to the total points available for that resort, which cannot change. I do think a lot of the 1 bedrooms are "overpriced". We were looking for next October with the kids at SSR (standard room), and a 1 bedroom was 247 points, but a 2 bedroom was only 305. Seems they are definitely pushing for the 2 bedroom in that case, but if the 1 bedroom was less, they might still have a studio left, if it's a lock-off.

Phonedave

We also prefer a 1 bedroom for just the 2 of us. The only rule I remember about shifting points is that they have to add up to the total points available for that resort, which cannot change. I do think a lot of the 1 bedrooms are "overpriced". We were looking for next October with the kids at SSR (standard room), and a 1 bedroom was 247 points, but a 2 bedroom was only 305. Seems they are definitely pushing for the 2 bedroom in that case, but if the 1 bedroom was less, they might still have a studio left, if it's a lock-off.

I did a little looking and I think what I was thinking of is the max a room can be. In the offering statement it says (paraphrased)

Each Club Member will always be able to reserve one day in a studio for 18 points, one day in a one bedroom for 36 points, one day in a 2 BR for 46 and one day in a grand villa for 122 and one day in a cabin for 115 points

Also, any single change of more than 20% requires the approval of 60% of the membership

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I did a little looking and I think what I was thinking of is the max a room can be. In the offering statement it says (paraphrased)

Each Club Member will always be able to reserve one day in a studio for 18 points, one day in a one bedroom for 36 points, one day in a 2 BR for 46 and one day in a grand villa for 122 and one day in a cabin for 115 points

Also, any single change of more than 20% requires the approval of 60% of the membership
Ah yes. I had forgotten that each type of room at each resort also has a maximum number of points allowed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom