DVC Point-Borrowing Restrictions

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
🤔

I assume bookings made with holding points can’t be pushed to later dates? So people would have to cancel and pounts put back into holding?

That might work.
Anything in holding would expire at the end of the contract year no matter what…which would be a deal killer for most members looking to book anything with slight uncertainty

CaptainAmerica

I think they should have waived the holding rules just to get last minute travelers and clear the points
I expect they'll come up with some new schemes to clear points beyond just "make BLT owners knife-fight in the parking lot to book at 11 months." Once COVID is good and truly behind us, I think we'll see some additional member cruises and other non-resort ways to spend points that the membership will probably gobble up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I expect they'll come up with some new schemes to clear points beyond just "make BLT owners knife-fight in the parking lot to book at 11 months." Once COVID is good and truly behind us, I think we'll see some additional member cruises and other non-resort ways to spend points that the membership will probably gobble up.
And that’s really unfortunate…
…cause bay lake sucks 🤪

CaptainAmerica

No it doesn’t. We happen to like it. Can’t beat the location. And once it gets it’s refurb and the Murphy beds it’ll be perfect.
I don't like the location, honestly. Super convenient to Magic Kingdom and miserably inconvenient to everything else. If you visit the four parks roughly equally, you'd spend less time on transit staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge than Bay Lake Tower.

(But I think @Sirwalterraleigh was teasing. Just don't ask me how I feel about the Beach Club.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No it doesn’t. We happen to like it. Can’t beat the location. And once it gets it’s refurb and the Murphy beds it’ll be perfect.
Now that you guys have separated from the EU…I’m gonna call our trade rep and get a fresh deal to export senses of humor to you guys 👍🏻
I don't like the location, honestly. Super convenient to Magic Kingdom and miserably inconvenient to everything else. If you visit the four parks roughly equally, you'd spend less time on transit staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge than Bay Lake Tower.

(But I think @Sirwalterraleigh was teasing. Just don't ask me how I feel about the Beach Club.)
It’s not perfect…far from it. But of course some will value it much more than I

but I was joking to a large extent

and beach club is the best…and it’s a fairly easy argument to win.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Limiting borrowing means fewer points in the system *now*, but more points in the system next year. DVC availability was wide open earlier this year when travel was still slow. It would have made sense if Disney allowed borrowing back when demand was low. As it stands, they're trapping the points in higher-demand 2022 instead of allowing them to be pulled forward into lower-demand 2020 and 2021.
This is what I was trying to say. Thanks Cap!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If there was a way to prevent the system being abused they could allow more borrowing for stays within the next 60-90 days. To use up availability and points. That would have worked a year ago.

The problem is that people would do that and then modify to dates in the future. So it would take an extra check in the process. And any potential changes to the DVC IT systems need to be prioritised against potential changes to the Disney IT systems.
Unfortunately, people absolutely abuse the system. My DW saw on a FB group that someone bragged about walking a reservation for 8 months. 8 friggin months to get the dates he wanted. Talk about abuse. They really need to somehow curb this egregious behavior.

CaptainAmerica

Unfortunately, people absolutely abuse the system. My DW saw on a FB group that someone bragged about walking a reservation for 8 months. 8 friggin months to get the dates he wanted. Talk about abuse. They really need to somehow curb this egregious behavior.
That's not abuse.

CaptainAmerica

Walking is a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself.

The problem is Disney's unwillingness to make the dramatic changes to the points charts that are necessary to balance demand. Within a given resort, points costs should be reallocated so that demand is *equal* across dates and room types. A value studio in October should be just as easy/difficult to book at 11 months as a one bedroom savanna view in March. When one of those units is routinely available one month ahead of time and the other requires walking, it means one of them is too cheap and the other is too expensive.

In general, Fall is way too cheap and late winter/early Spring are way too expensive (in points). Premium view categories are also too expensive, with the exception of AKV Club level, which is too cheap.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Walking a reservation is no more abuse than having a faster internet connection than someone else when you go to book at 8am on the morning of 11 months out.
Umm, you did read where i said he WALKED the reservation for EIGHT MONTHS. He changed the reservation over 200 times. Yes, that is abuse of the system. If he had walked it for a week, well, not something we would ever do, but at least it's not as bad as 8 months.

I think DVC should limit reservation changes to only 5 times. That is more than enough to cover everything except the crazy walking of a reservation - that understand this - you are taking those dates at that resort from someone else because you are selfish.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Walking is a symptom of a problem, not the problem itself.

The problem is Disney's unwillingness to make the dramatic changes to the points charts that are necessary to balance demand. Within a given resort, points costs should be reallocated so that demand is *equal* across dates and room types. A value studio in October should be just as easy/difficult to book at 11 months as a one bedroom savanna view in March. When one of those units is routinely available one month ahead of time and the other requires walking, it means one of them is too cheap and the other is too expensive.
He's not booking a home resort reservation. He's booking at a resort that he is only allowed to book at 7 months for an especially busy time of year. Doing that, he is taking those dates from a person who OWNS at that resort, and can now no longer book those dates. That is total abuse of the system.

CaptainAmerica

He's not booking a home resort reservation. He's booking at a resort that he is only allowed to book at 7 months for an especially busy time of year. Doing that, he is taking those dates from a person who OWNS at that resort, and can now no longer book those dates. That is total abuse of the system.
Those owners had a 4 month head start. And again, walking is a *temporary* hold. They can't book those days while he has them in his walk, but they can book them a week later when he's walked through.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No. You're not.

Walking a reservation through a given date takes that date out of available inventory *temporarily.*
How can you possibly think that? Once he is done walking, he is permanently taking those dates from one other person that should have been allowed to book those dates long before HE was allowed to book them. Abuse.

striker1064

Hardly. Walking a non-home reservation is extremely risky, especially for 8 months. That means an owner could have come in at any time +4 months and blocked his walk, and he would have wasted all that time for nothing.

That's not abuse. Someone having too much free time on their hands is hardly abuse. And it would have been extremely easy to stop it. The fact that he was able to walk a non-home resort for 8 months tells me it isn't as difficult of a reservation as he seemed to think it was.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Hardly. Walking a non-home reservation is extremely risky, especially for 8 months. That means an owner could have come in at any time +4 months and blocked his walk, and he would have wasted all that time for nothing.

That's not abuse. Someone having too much free time on their hands is hardly abuse. And it would have been extremely easy to stop it. The fact that he was able to walk a non-home resort for 8 months tells me it isn't as difficult of a reservation as he seemed to think it was.
Yeah, I see your point on that one. So he was really only blocking out another non-home resort person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom