DVC Point-Borrowing Restrictions

Jdn0018

Original Poster
Does anyone have inside info on when the 50% borrowing restriction may be lifted? I have a contract with 270 shared with family members. We are pretty detailed in points-planning and this restriction after the closure has made my points a mess!

nickys

Premium Member
I doubt it will be before at least next summer, so for stays from Easter 20023 onwards.

DVC are still extending points for some international guests, currently until Easter 2022. However that date was intended to give members 6 months to use them, from Oct 2021 to April 2022. Since borders aren’t yet open, they may extend them further. (Note they didn’t actually extend the, they gave them developer points to use).

And there are still millions of extra points around. Hopefully at some point the restriction will be lifted. It makes sense to have maximum flexibility for future sales. But for now I think they’re here to stay at least another year, maybe 18 months.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Will someone please explain why DVC put in place the 50% borrowing limit?

For me, thinking about it logically, it would seem advantageous for DVC to let those willing and able to travel to use their points now. That way, when those unwilling/unable finally become willing and/or able there are less overall points needed to be used. In other words, there are fewer members trying for a finite number of reservations.

SteveAZee

For me, thinking about it logically, it would seem advantageous for DVC to let those willing and able to travel to use their points now. That way, when those unwilling/unable finally become willing and/or able there are less overall points needed to be used. In other words, there are fewer members trying for a finite number of reservations.
I suppose it's to allow more people who have points banked, but couldn't use them, to have available spots to reserve.

nickys

Premium Member
They wanted to allow more people to be able to book, so restricted how many points people could borrow.

When they “extended” the validity of points that would have otherwise expire, DVC actually gifted people developer points from Riviera. They could only do that at the end of a member’s use year, which meant that when the resorts re-opened, some members still didn’t have those developer points to use. DVC wanted them to have a fair chance when they did receive them, which was as late ast the end of September for some, but the points could only be used until I think the end of November 2020.

And as a result of that decision to “extend” points that would otherwise have expired, there were millions of extra points in the system, along with regular points that people had banked. That will take some time to either be used or naturally expire.

At some point things will have to revert to normal, and if members cannot book when they want to travel then they’ll either lose their points or have to trade them.

SteveAZee

They wanted to allow more people to be able to book, so restricted how many points people could borrow.

When they “extended” the validity of points that would have otherwise expire, DVC actually gifted people developer points from Riviera. They could only do that at the end of a member’s use year, which meant that when the resorts re-opened, some members still didn’t have those developer points to use. DVC wanted them to have a fair chance when they did receive them, which was as late ast the end of September for some, but the points could only be used until I think the end of November 2020.

And as a result of that decision to “extend” points that would otherwise have expired, there were millions of extra points in the system, along with regular points that people had banked. That will take some time to either be used or naturally expire.

At some point things will have to revert to normal, and if members cannot book when they want to travel then they’ll either lose their points or have to trade them.
That's pretty convoluted. I owned DVC back in the 90's and early 2000's and am in the process of buying back in. (UY to start this December). Not planning a trip until 2023... I hope things have calmed down by then. Any predictions?

nickys

Premium Member
Well the short version is that there wee an extra 3 months worth of WDW points added into the system, and a years worth of points from VGC.

By restricting borrowing they hope that as many members as possible can use their points.

SteveAZee

Well the short version is that there wee an extra 3 months worth of WDW points added into the system, and a years worth of points from VGC.

By restricting borrowing they hope that as many members as possible can use their points.
Yes, this makes sense to me too.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Ok, but, how am I suppose to use my points if I can not borrow???

I understand, sort of, but, I also don't understand. It seems these restrictions should be put in place once the borders open and more members are trying to use their points.

nickys

Premium Member

I understand, sort of, but, I also don't understand. It seems these restrictions should be put in place once the borders open and more members are trying to use their points.
Limiting borrowing means fewer points in the system.

Everyone whose points were expiring during the closure were given an extension. If people could borrow fully then there would have been even more points in the system. As I said, they wanted as many people as possible to be able to book. Better to have 100 members use 100 points each than have 50 members using 200 points each. Spread the pain, as it were.

You can still bank points as normal, so the idea was presumably for people to use ther banked points and some current ones, and then bank the rest to use in the next use year.

Some international members were given a points extension until next Easter. That date was based on the assumption they would have 6 months to use them, from next month, so who knows what will happen. Of course they didn’t make that decision until after having told many of us there was nothing they could do. ☹️

But these international points are really a drop in the ocean of extra points floating around. You can’t add 25% extra points into the system and expect things to be back to normal in a year. The problem would still exist even with no international points in the mix.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

Everyone whose points were expiring during the closure were given an extension. If people could borrow fully then there would have been even more points in the system. As I said, they wanted as many people as possible to be able to book. Better to have 100 members use 100 points each than have 50 members using 200 points each. Spread the pain, as it were.

You can still bank points as normal, so the idea was presumably for people to use ther banked points and some current ones, and then bank the rest to use in the next use year.

Some international members were given a points extension until next Easter. That date was based on the assumption they would have 6 months to use them, from next month, so who knows what will happen. Of course they didn’t make that decision until after having told many of us there was nothing they could do. ☹️

But these international points are really a drop in the ocean of extra points floating around. You can’t add 25% extra points into the system and expect things to be back to normal in a year. The problem would still exist even with no international points in the mix.
Thank you. It is a bit clearer now.

striker1064

This is unrelated to the current restriction, but it's worth noting our contracts clearly state DVC can limit or suspend banking and borrowing at any time. While it is nice to have the added flexibility that borrowing brings, it's always better to buy a slightly higher number of points than you think you need just because of this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

For the system to work…the vast majority of points have to be used in their native use year…that’s how they can “sell” each room so many times over…

DVC is a mathematic equation…a year shutdown/lower use would never allow them to resume as always once the demand is back up…and I have a feeling demand still isn’t there yet.

at this rate…minimum 2023 before it shakes out…like 24

to your point…it would make sense to let people “burn” points…but you can’t have a policy for those either able or willing to blow the quarantine rules and just load up. If things die down (no pun)…then a huge push could freeze the whole system.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is unrelated to the current restriction, but it's worth noting our contracts clearly state DVC can limit or suspend banking and borrowing at any time. While it is nice to have the added flexibility that borrowing brings, it's always better to buy a slightly higher number of points than you think you need just because of this.
…now at a cool $200 a point 😎

CaptainAmerica

Limiting borrowing means fewer points in the system *now*, but more points in the system next year. DVC availability was wide open earlier this year when travel was still slow. It would have made sense if Disney allowed borrowing back when demand was low. As it stands, they're trapping the points in higher-demand 2022 instead of allowing them to be pulled forward into lower-demand 2020 and 2021.

nickys

Premium Member
Limiting borrowing means fewer points in the system *now*, but more points in the system next year. DVC availability was wide open earlier this year when travel was still slow. It would have made sense if Disney allowed borrowing back when demand was low. As it stands, they're trapping the points in higher-demand 2022 instead of allowing them to be pulled forward into lower-demand 2020 and 2021.
If there was a way to prevent the system being abused they could allow more borrowing for stays within the next 60-90 days. To use up availability and points. That would have worked a year ago.

The problem is that people would do that and then modify to dates in the future. So it would take an extra check in the process. And any potential changes to the DVC IT systems need to be prioritised against potential changes to the Disney IT systems.

CaptainAmerica

If there was a way to prevent the system being abused they could allow more borrowing for stays within the next 60-90 days. To use up availability and points. That would have worked a year ago.

The problem is that people would do that and then modify to dates in the future. So it would take an extra check in the process. And any potential changes to the DVC IT systems need to be prioritised against potential changes to the Disney IT systems.
They could have made it available for 30 day reservations subject to the holding rules.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. The reckoning is coming…but since they really don’t want DVC there (passes) anymore either…maybe they’ll just go away?

Agree…they just kicked the can down the road
They could have made it available for 30 day reservations subject to the holding rules.
I think they should have waived the holding rules just to get last minute travelers and clear the points

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom