DVC Kitchen Use

DVC Mike

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what's stocked in the kitchens as a rule? We're at BLT next weekend in a 1 bedroom villa and were thinking of making breakfast.

Thanks!

Full kitchen includes: coffeemaker, dinnerware, glassware, flatware, pots and pans, microwave, toaster, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and more.

Phonedave

Can anyone give me a rough idea of what's stocked in the kitchens as a rule? We're at BLT next weekend in a 1 bedroom villa and were thinking of making breakfast.

Thanks!

A little more detail - off the top of my head.

Microwave
Full Size Refrigerator
Stove (electric)
Oven (electric)
Dishwasher
Toaster
Coffee Maker
Blender (I think)
Tea Kettle
Service for 6 or 8 - I cant remember - which consists of
- drinking/water glasses
- rocks glasses
- juice glasses
- plates
- bowls
Silverware for 8 (Again, may be 6)
- forks
- knives
- spoons
There are a smattering of serving utensils
- large spoon
- spatula
- tongs (spring loaded ones, cooking tongs, not salad tongs)
There are 2 or 3 mixing bowls
There is a colander
The pots and pan consist of I think 2 sauce pans, a larger pot, and a skillet
There is a cookie sheet (not a full sized baking sheet)
There are knives - I think one serrated one not

I may have missed one or two things, but I think thats about it.

You get a scrubby sponge, one load of dishwasher soap, a tiny bottle of dish detergent and I think 2 dish towels. Oh yeah, and a dish drainer rack under the sink

Oh, and the pots and pans are in the bottom drawer of the stove - thats where they hide them :)

-dave

elli

amenities in villas

can anyone make sense of only supplying paper and plastic in the studios. The only thing we do for ourselves is to make coffee or tea, and having to go to the shop on check-in to buy china really annoys me!!

Phonedave

can anyone make sense of only supplying paper and plastic in the studios. The only thing we do for ourselves is to make coffee or tea, and having to go to the shop on check-in to buy china really annoys me!!

Some - in not all - Studios have china now

I know I had it in an ALK Jambo house studio three weeks ago.

It was originaly taken out because the cleaning staff had no way to properly sanitize the glassware.

In a 1BR + they use the dishwasher.

In a "normal" hotel the glasses are taken away, sanitized, wrapped in plastic "for your protection" and re-stocked.

The DVC studios did not have a process in place to insure the glasses were washed correctly.

From what I understand, the installed (or are in the process of installing) dishwashers for the cleaning staff to use, so now they can clean the glasses and reuse them.

-dave

dvcnut39

Just like everyone else, we only use the fridge and the microwave, but when we go to Disney's Vero Beach, we cook almost every meal in our rooms.

OurDailyGruel

Prior to considering DVC, I was agonizing over how the basic dining plan would affect diet. Even though it was possible to get an "entire" half a chicken from Wolfgang Puck Express or Sunshine Seasons :lol: I kept thinking how much better it would be if I could have that single entree as a family meal with a bowl of rice and a vegetable soup. Now that I am seriously considering DVC, I know that I want to bring a rice cooker. I can make morning rice porridge or savory noodle soup with leftover meat and vegetables for breakfast instead of something sweet and cakey.

Has anyone ever brought back food in a container from counter service? Would that be too ghetto of me? :lol:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
My wife brings half of every meal we eat back to our DVC room and has it for another meal sometime during the visit. If we eat lunch out she will have "leftovers for dinner". If we eat dinner out, she will have the leftovers for lunch the next day. We also keep other food in the room for supplementing the left overs.

jim1051

breakfasts and snacks( and cocktails). We usually get DDP for lunches and a nice dinner. We have a drink before heading out for dinner so we are not spending $ 10 per at the restaurant.

slappy magoo

Prior to considering DVC, I was agonizing over how the basic dining plan would affect diet. Even though it was possible to get an "entire" half a chicken from Wolfgang Puck Express or Sunshine Seasons :lol: I kept thinking how much better it would be if I could have that single entree as a family meal with a bowl of rice and a vegetable soup. Now that I am seriously considering DVC, I know that I want to bring a rice cooker. I can make morning rice porridge or savory noodle soup with leftover meat and vegetables for breakfast instead of something sweet and cakey.

Has anyone ever brought back food in a container from counter service? Would that be too ghetto of me? :lol:

I wouldn't say it's ghetto, especially at the prices you pay for a meal at WDW. What I would say is that, depending on the food and how long it was in a container before you can bring it back to your room, it may be unsafe. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with the timing but the usual "safe" rule of thumb is: After an entree is finished cooking, it should be consumed or refrigerated within 2 hours, and once refrigerated, it should be fully reheated and finished, or discarded, after 2 days.

Some people might feel that's TOO conservative, but when you think about how hot it can get in Florida - hot enough to let food start the "spoiling" process faster, but not hot enough to kill food borne bacteria - the question becomes, do you want to risk getting some sort of stomach virus during a WDW trip in order to save a couple of bucks on a meal?

Also, I'm sure some types of meals or leftovers might be safer than others. I've no way of knowing for sure, but I'd think foods that are all starch and fruits and vegetables - with no meat or dairy on or in them - will keep longer out of refrigeration better than something that either once had a pulse or was derived from something that once had a pulse.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
We've prepared our own food and used the dining plan. Two quick and easy meals. 1) Spaghetti and meatballs (we use frozen meatballs). 2) Ham. It's almost always pre-cooked so it just needs to be warmed. Some salad in a bag, Idahoans, etc. and you're set.

For lunch we freeze water bottles the night before. Put them in the back pack in the morning. Then sandwiches on top of the bottles, some fruit, salty snacks, etc. and we're set.

Just got back from staying at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. This was the first time we used the kitchen to it's full capacity. We were trying to stay with our new eating habits during this trip and it worked. I only gained one pound during the trip and I think that was leg muscle. I've lost 30 lbs since January and wanted to stay the course.

toolsnspools

We like using the kitchen for the "easy" meals. Breakfast is a given. Were a cereal and toast family so keeping that in the room is a must. We also get sandwich stuff and chips for those afternoons when we head back to the resort for a swim. Having a couple frozen pizzas can be a cheap dinner, and free up a DDP sit-down meal for doubling up at a dinner show or signature dining.

plutospal

We usually go to a grocery store on our first day and load up on breakfast and lunch foods. Most of our visits are at the BWV, so it is a short walk back to the room for lunch if we are at Epcot or the Studios. This saves so much money, and to us is well worth it. We will cook dinner only one or two nights at the most, since we do enjoy eating out for dinner. We also will have plenty of drinks and snacks available. I love having a full kitchen!!:)

reptar77

We use the studio kitchen for breakfast and snacks only.
Oh and coffee. I found not having a stove top and a small frig prohibits much more than that.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Mostly used for morning for us. Toasting a bagle or english muffin for me, and pots of coffe for the wife.

Although, since we are driving this year, I may bring along a bottle or two of wine for a nice nightcap every evening. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom