DVC has changed the resell rules

tjkraz

Someone post on another site what might be a hidden problem for DVC. They are changing the rules so they can sell more directly from DVC. If this is the case the market that they are trying to win over is those that are looking at DVC vs. resell. So if the new rules drive the price down even a few dollars a point and the buyer does not plan to use points outside the DVC resorts; it might drive more sells to the resell market.

Just one more angle in this to consider.

Basic economic theory will apply. For a moment, let's pretend that this decision backfires on DVC. Resale prices fall in the short term and--as you describe--more people turn to resale.

Greater demand for resales will ultimately drive prices back up.

Unless sellers panic, I really don't think prices will fall much at all. Over the past 10 days I've read quite a few doom-and-gloom scenarios. Some people have gone so far as to imply that DVC resales will soon be like other timeshares where you can buy one eBay for $250 plus closing costs.

But take a step back for a moment. Walt Disney World and Disneyland are premier vacation destinations. The market for DVC may be limited at $110+ per point, but even people who regularly stay at the Value resorts would be lined up around the block to buy resales at $10-20 per point. And ultimately the market will keep prices far higher than that.

The bottom is simply not going to fall out of DVC because people WANT to visit the resorts. People are willing to pay far more than $250 plus closing costs for those ownership rights.

Will this decision backfire on DVC? Personally I doubt it. Using the Internet as a barometer has proven to be flawed in the past. In recent years websites and forums have created a tempest in a teapot over things like valet parking and point reallocations. If you just read the web discussions about such moves, you'd think members were ready to lead a revolt.

Nevertheless, member satisfaction surveys have continued to show exceptional results for DVC. Market Metrix is the only independent evaluator I'm aware of, and they have DVC ranked above 90% in terms of member satisfaction. DVC is the leader in the timeshare industry.

A few random members may claim to be losing faith in DVC. They may lose some add-on sales to those individuals. But I still suspect this policy change will result in a positive net gain in direct sales. It may not be a dramatic increase, but even 2-3% adds to the bottom line without really costing DVC anything.

celticfan

My guess is that the resale market might see a small up tick for the next few weeks as people try to get points before the March deadline. After that the resale market will probably drop to some degree, but not in a significant way.

Even without the benefits that will not be allowed to resale contracts after the March date, the DVC product still has a significant value to people who enjoy Disney, and the DVC resorts.

In the end it might benefit not only DVC, by selling more direct contracts, but also the DVC members who only use their points at DVC resorts, by reducing slightly the cost of resale points. If this is what happens, then this change is not a big deal and only effects a small portion of people. If they continue to make changes than I guess we will have to see what effect those changes have on the value of DVC contracts

Phonedave

Interestingly enough, I just got a call from my DVC agent (well a message on my machine)

According to her, BLT is selling faster than expected, and should be gone my spring.

Who knows, maybe people are buying direct.

-dave

toolsnspools

Exactly.

DVC has a wait list of people who want to buy at certain resorts. They have a good handle on the demand.

IF they have people lined up to buy at $110 a point, they know what their associated costs are with buying a point, holding it, and selling it. Lets say that costs them $4 a point.

If they have buyer lined up at $110 a point, they are going to ROFR - from the bottom up, anything that comes in below $106.

-dave

Nice point Dave. From this perspective, DVC wins even more from a rebound in the economy if resale prices continue to stay low, or even drop some. The margin they collect by buying RORF and then selling the points to the waiting list will increase. It's a delicate balance though. If the gap gets too big, not many informed buyers will pay the difference to be able to stay at the non-DVC Disney resorts after buying.

kapeman

Nevertheless, member satisfaction surveys have continued to show exceptional results for DVC. Market Metrix is the only independent evaluator I'm aware of, and they have DVC ranked above 90% in terms of member satisfaction. DVC is the leader in the timeshare industry.

/QUOTE]

True, but the numbers are currently trending downward. Around an 8% drop in extremely satisfied in two years, if I recall correctly.

Phonedave

OR....

She might be a salesperson. :lookaroun

It was not a hard sell, more of a Disney sell. :)

I had told her a while back that I might be looking to add on some points.

She called me up and basicly said that she checked her files, knew I had mentioned adding on and if I was thinking of BLT, it would be gone by spring and since my use year is Feburary, If I bought now, I would end up with 2010 points and 2011, but if I waited a month, I would just get 2011 points.

She spent most of the answering machine time talking about her phone number, times she could be reached, etc etc. and about 30 seconds on the actual pitch.

I think she is one of the NYC based sales agents. She mentioned somthing about "All the snow we are having". My original agent left DVC a year or so ago.

-dave

tjkraz

True, but the numbers are currently trending downward. Around an 8% drop in extremely satisfied in two years, if I recall correctly.

Is that from DVC's own survey results?

Market Metrix acutally has them doing quite well. According to their surveys, DVC's 2Q 2010 member satisfaction rating was its highest in the last 4 years. Each of the last 5 quarters have rated above the "program to date" (lifetime) average.

http://www.marketmetrix.com/mmhibrowser/?brandID=40

There probably has been some drop-off over the last year or two but the major issues which come to mind are things that are largely out of DVC's control--things like loss of valet parking (pulled by vendor) and reallocations (legal requirement).

PirateFrank

For once, I get to say...

<ahem>

I SAW THIS ONE COMING AND CALLED IT! :fork:

And I'm also very willing to bet that these aren't the only changes coming. This is the first change to see how strong a reaction DVC receives. A "toe in the water", if you will. If and when they determine the negative reaction to be at an acceptible level, get ready for more.

Death by a thousands cuts.

OK...what else is coming then?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
As I stated earlier, I wrote DVC about my concerns. Well I just got a call from DVC to tell me not to worry about this. They said they had done this to protect the members. I informed them that I felt they had done it to help DVC profits. I also said that I felt that there was more rule changes coming. They made no comment on that either way. Would have been nice for them to say that they planned no additional changes at this time. The DVC person I talked with was very nice and tried to make me feel better. He stated that he was going to forward my concerns to the management staff.

celticfan

I just checked some of the listings at the Time Share Store and there seems to be more "Sale Pending" listings than I recall seeing in a long time. Seems like the change in benefits for the points in March is causing more activity.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the March date

Blueliner

I just checked some of the listings at the Time Share Store and there seems to be more "Sale Pending" listings than I recall seeing in a long time. Seems like the change in benefits for the points in March is causing more activity.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the March date

Happily, we are one of those sales pending. After several years of research and hand-wringing, and in part because of the upcoming changes, we finally took the plunge and entered into a resale contract at BWV last week. It is being submitted to Disney for ROFR today. Hopefully, we'll make it through.

wdwfan100

Happily, we are one of those sales pending. After several years of research and hand-wringing, and in part because of the upcoming changes, we finally took the plunge and entered into a resale contract at BWV last week. It is being submitted to Disney for ROFR today. Hopefully, we'll make it through.

I hope you get past ROFR. I remember that being a very nerve racking wait for us. Good luck!

disbest

The rules Disney develops are put in place to protect their own interest. It is obvious they are having issues competing with the resale market. They are making it less attractive to purchase from the resale market and more attractive purchasing directly from DVC. DVC owners who are listing on the resale market will have to discount their DVC in order to attract potential buyers since the benefits are reduced significantly. This could potentially hurt the DVC market in general. This policy could discourage potential buyers knowing that it will be difficult to sell their DVC or recover most of their investment if they have a life changing event or change their vacation plans.

Another thought is Disney might be planning on raising the price of the new DVC's. This policy would make them more competitive in the resale market as their price increases.

In either case they should inform buyers of this policy change before a purchase is made. It would only be fair and allow the buyer to make an informed decision.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Another thought is Disney might be planning on raising the price of the new DVC's. This policy would make them more competitive in the resale market as their price increases.

This is already happening. BLT went up $10.00 per point Devember 1, 2010 from $120 to $130 a point. DVC has just told everyone that the price is going up again on March 7, 2011 to $140 per point. There will be a time after March 7 that existing members can still purchase at $130.

Maybe the rule changes are not so Disney can sell more inventory, but just be able to charge more for existing inventory.

Disneykidder

Even if the prices of resales go down, whiich I doubt will be significant, Disney still has the right to refuse the sale and if it is too low it may not happen. On another thread someone said they just bought an additional 100 pts at BWV. The price was $82 per point and it was refused...it was accepted at $85. It was only $3 more per point, but Disney still had that right and made a few bucks on it. So we shall see. But, yeah, so many great resales say sale pending on them...it is slim pickings now.

toolsnspools

I got my call from DVC yesterday. It was basically a "tough luck, but we'll let management know" call. The CM had clearly been dealing with a good number of these calls. He seemed almost glad to have a candid conversation with me because I wasn't yelling his ear off. The point I was arguing to him was, I'm not happy about DVC taking value away from resales, regardless of the reason, and if they need to bolster sales, they can easily do that by adding in more perks on the top end. He seemed to agree with me, and without letting on any details, he alluded to more changes of the perk nature that would be on their way. I'm not sure I like the idea of different classes of contracts, but adding perks is definitely better than taking away benefits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom