Dumbo update on Disneyworld.com

NewfieFan

Original Poster
There's an operational update on the Disney World website. It has Dumbo closing from Jan. 09 - Feb. 17. Does that mean that the new Double Dumbo (or at least one side of it) will open on the 18th?

runskimom

"Dumbo the Flying Elephant - Closed For Refurbishment [ Monday, January 09 - Friday, February 17 ]"

Looks like FLE progress to me!:sohappy:

InsiderImagine

I believe it will not be opening that soon.

Probably the beginning of March so they have time to install, train and ensure every runs smoothly.

March 2012 we will start to see Storybook Circus and new angles of the rest of FLE from Dumbo.

InsiderImagine

It will only take that short time to remove that ride, however, installing the ride, inspecting it, training cast members to work on the new attraction is going to take some time.

I think everyone should expect early March opening.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It will only take that short time to remove that ride, however, installing the ride, inspecting it, training cast members to work on the new attraction is going to take some time.

But Disney has already said that the existing Dumbo won't be installed along with the new one into "later in the year". If the new one is going to open with parts of Storybook Circuis in late Feb/early March, why close the existing one before that?

NewfieFan

Original Poster
I believe it will not be opening that soon.

Probably the beginning of March so they have time to install, train and ensure every runs smoothly.

March 2012 we will start to see Storybook Circus and new angles of the rest of FLE from Dumbo.

So what's with the Feb. 17th date!?! If a Dumbo (any Dumbo, new, old, one, or two) is not ready to be operational until sometime in March why would Disneyworld.com post an end date of Feb. 17th??? :shrug:

TomHendricks

I'm glad I just got to ride Dumbo in its old location with my son, before they are closing it down. While I appreciate the Dueling Dumbo's, I for one will miss the old location. I know the new location will probably grow on me, there was just something about where it is/was.

NewfieFan

Original Poster
I'm glad I just got to ride Dumbo in its old location with my son, before they are closing it down. While I appreciate the Dueling Dumbo's, I for one will miss the old location. I know the new location will probably grow on me, there was just something about where it is/was.

I know what you mean! I got to ride it once while Wishes was going off and that was a pretty cool experience! I'm sure it won't be the same tucked away in the old TT. But I'm still looking forward to all the new stuff opening up...!

ob1thx1138

Why would they give a re-opening date? Is it a short refurb in prep for the big move?

Myabe that is not the reopening date. Perhaps that is the date the work process goes from refurb to closed.

Imagine they schedule some time in for general clean up of the area and prepe work which they code as refurb. Then once that is over the moving work will comence.

TomHendricks

We actually did that in our previous trip to this last one. In fact we talked about doing it again for this trip. However we couldn't coordinate getting to Dumbo before the fireworks went off. We were in Tomorrowland when they started. So we watched the fireworks then rode Dumbo a short time after. Should say this was during MNSSHP. It was great, wait time was 10 minutes and we got on even quicker.

I know what you mean! I got to ride it once while Wishes was going off and that was a pretty cool experience! I'm sure it won't be the same tucked away in the old TT. But I'm still looking forward to all the new stuff opening up...!

wdw71fan

Jan date = original dumbo closes

Feb Date = new dumbo A-side opens

July/August = old dumbo B-side opens (after extensive backstage refurb on ride system)

that is all.

CaptainShortty

Not important... This really is next to common knowledge from a construction schedule stand point...

You don't have to believe me.. I'm just trying to add what I know to the conversation...

:wave:

Not a problem. :wave: Just curious where you found it as I didn't know if it was posted on a website somewhere or you have ins in the project somewhere since being a CM I have access to the CM website and saw no notice or update on there. I have no reason not to trust you so I will. Just my curiosity. =)

Tom

Beta Return
Not a problem. :wave: Just curious where you found it as I didn't know if it was posted on a website somewhere or you have ins in the project somewhere since being a CM I have access to the CM website and saw no notice or update on there. I have no reason not to trust you so I will. Just my curiosity. =)

His information is pretty accurate.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
His information is pretty accurate.

Even though its the slow season, I don't understand why they would close the old Dumbo in January when the new one is going to be open in February? Why not just wait the extra month so the park is never without one operating Dumbo?

Dan

NewfieFan

Original Poster
Even though its the slow season, I don't understand why they would close the old Dumbo in January when the new one is going to be open in February? Why not just wait the extra month so the park is never without one operating Dumbo?

Dan

I wondered that as well! I thought they would be able to do this process without Dumbo being closed at all (or at least only a few days in between one closing and the other one opening). The only thing I can figure is that the "old" Dumbo has to close now in order to meet some sort of construction deadline for the opening of the "double" Dumbo!?! :shrug:

Tom

Beta Return
I wondered that as well! I thought they would be able to do this process without Dumbo being closed at all (or at least only a few days in between one closing and the other one opening). The only thing I can figure is that the "old" Dumbo has to close now in order to meet some sort of construction deadline for the opening of the "double" Dumbo!?! :shrug:

Right.

Old Dumbo will be taken apart, sent back to Central Shops to get a complete overhaul, preventative maintenance, and probably a new paint job.

Then it will match the new spinner, and elephants (which look amazing, by the way), and be ready for DumboX2.

IlikeDW

Dan

I wonder if they want to place some of the larger/heavier pieces of the old dumbo in the new area before they open so they do not need to bring in a crane and possibly close it temporarily once it is open?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom