Dumbo and Peter Pan rides set for removal?

mickEblu

I don't think the Peter Pan ride as a whole will be removed, but they can easily remove the Indians from the ride and replace them with something not offensive from the movie. Although if the ride is removed, I won't be too sad. It had a good run. Times change.

Bob Iger actually likes Peter Pan, as he indicated in his "Ride of a Lifetime" book. So I don't think he'll treat it the way he treated Song of the South.

Thread bump of the year. But it’s only February.

TP2000

Thread bump of the year. But it’s only February.

It needed it.

I think at some point the HR committee tasked with removing "problematic" (their word, not mine) rides and attractions from the parks butts up against actual financial costs and dwindling budgets and factual operational needs.

TDA can't afford to lose the ride capacity from Peter Pan and Dumbo, even though they're just low-capacity C and B Ticket attractions. While they may be low capacity, they're very popular, and TDA can't just close them. But Burbank doesn't want to spend the money on replacing them with new rides not based on "problematic" stories and themes.

So they're stuck, for now. And reduced to writing contrived and virtue signaling backstories for log ride queues about "employee-owned cooperatives". Because words are much cheaper than actual attractions.

So for now, it's all just words and minor tweaks or over-hyped virtue signaling.

They don't want to put their money where their mouth is. They're hoping the cheap words will do for now.

Brer Panther

Can't they just go in and get rid of the Indians? Maybe replace 'em with... I dunno, one of the animals from the "Following the Leader" segment of the movie?

Brer Oswald

I don't think the Peter Pan ride as a whole will be removed, but they can easily remove the Indians from the ride and replace them with something not offensive from the movie. Although if the ride is removed, I won't be too sad. It had a good run. Times change.

Bob Iger actually likes Peter Pan, as he indicated in his "Ride of a Lifetime" book. So I don't think he'll treat it the way he treated Song of the South.
Oh this explains everything. Lol.

Rich T

No. They remade Dumbo to make it acceptable and are remaking Peter Pan.

If only they could remake Song of the South and just focus on the cartoon...
Unfortunately, a big chunk of the animated portion is the most offensive scene in the entire film (the entire tar sequence), which is, unfortunately, also the sequence that uses the How Do You Do song.

PiratesMansion

It would take about 5 minutes to remove the Indians from Peter Pan. The entire “scene” could practically fit in a breadbox.
To the point that they probably wouldn't even need to actually close the ride to swap it out. It's tiny. They could probably do it overnight.

So there goes any "concern" that PPF couldn't "afford" to deal with the "inevitable huge downtime" that would come from such a change.

It'll happen eventually. Not worth other people getting hysterical over, but people gonna people I suppose.

Rich T

To the point that they probably wouldn't even need to actually close the ride to swap it out. It's tiny. They could probably do it overnight.

So there goes any "concern" that PPF couldn't "afford" to deal with the "inevitable huge downtime" that would come from such a change.

It'll happen eventually. Not worth other people getting hysterical over, but people gonna people I suppose.
If they do it quickly and quietly, nobody except hardcore DL fans would even notice.

They should replace it with a digital projection of Tinker Bell zipping past from left to right, and you turn to follow.

Minthorne

Just a few mini shrubs in boxes on wheels to block the view.

Brer Oswald

Unfortunately, a big chunk of the animated portion is the most offensive scene in the entire film (the entire tar sequence), which is, unfortunately, also the sequence that uses the How Do You Do song.
Not trying to excuse it, but the context for that is that the original story predates the slur. SotS doesn’t, so it wasn’t very forward thinking of them to use tar instead of another sticky substance (like sap, or in the case of Splash, honey). But it’s not surprising they didn’t really care to change it given the decade the movie came out.

Brer Oswald

They’re probably waiting for an opportunity in which they can “benefit” from removing it. Disney is the only company that gets as much good publicity from “removing” something as they do from actually building something.

CaptinEO

Original Poster

Seems like they are building new Peter Pan attractions in Paris too if I recall, so must be on the safe list.

PiratesMansion

Seems like they are building new Peter Pan attractions in Paris too if I recall, so must be on the safe list.
They are building a new Peter Pan attraction for Tokyo DisneySea; I don't believe there are any plans for additional PP content in Paris, though I'm sure the WDS expansions are somewhat in flux since none of GE is going to be ported over.
Did the Indians make it into the Shanghai version? Can’t remember
Yes, albeit just barely and more implied than seen; when you fly over the Neverland diorama there is a circle of teepees. That appears to their only appearance on that version of the ride. I thought I remembered a Tiger Lily figurine as well, but it turns out I was thinking of the regular Disneyland version and not Shanghai's.

Incidentally, right where you would see the Indians in the DL version (when you move from one side of the ship and turn towards the other), the Shanghai version has a waterfall and some bushes. It's not inconceivable to me that they might just put something similarly inconsequential there when they inevitably change the scene in California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom