Dumbo and Peter Pan rides set for removal?

PiratesMansion

Exactly. After what happened with Splash I'm just preparing myself for other potential changes.
IF they ever change Peter Pan, it would probably be limited only to the scenes with the Indian characters, as that is the reason the film has proven controversial.

Since the offensive content from Dumbo is not depicted on the ride, I imagine it will never be changed.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
IF they ever change Peter Pan, it would probably be limited only to the scenes with the Indian characters, as that is the reason the film has proven controversial.

Since the offensive content from Dumbo is not depicted on the ride, I imagine it will never be changed.
Do they still hand out the "magic feather" to kids like they used to? It was a black crow plastic feather, I remember them doing this when I was a kid in the 90s and you'd return it when the ride was done.

PiratesMansion

Do they still hand out the "magic feather" to kids like they used to? It was a black crow plastic feather, I remember them doing this when I was a kid in the 90s and you'd return it when the ride was done.
I don't know for certain, but I've never heard of them doing this and it seems like the sort of easy cut Disney likes to make.

Sharon&Susan

I could see modern Disney retheming Dumbo (very far) down the line. Not because of anything having to do with racism, but tying it more to whatever hot, new animated IP that Disney has by the time.

I don't see them ever removing Peter Pan. At least in my life time.

Communicora

Premium Member
I could see modern Disney retheming Dumbo (very far) down the line. Not because of anything having to do with racism, but tying it more to whatever hot, new animated IP that Disney has by the time.

I don't see them ever removing Peter Pan. At least in my life time.
I don't see any possible way they would get rid of Dumbo. It's an iconic ride they use in a lot of marketing.

As for Peter Pan, it seems logical to reimagine the part of the ride with the Native Americans. I don't see Disney abandoning the ride because of one small element.

el_super

I don't see any possible way they would get rid of Dumbo. It's an iconic ride they use in a lot of marketing.

As for Peter Pan, it seems logical to reimagine the part of the ride with the Native Americans. I don't see Disney abandoning the ride because of one small element.

All of this is true for the near term, but as @Sharon&Susan is pointing out, will that be the case in the far distant future? Disney putting the disclaimer and delisting it for children on Disney+, means that it won't be readily available for children today to watch. That could impact relevancy in the future. In a couple generations, park guests may be largely unaware of who or what a DUMBO is.

Is the Dumbo experience of a flat spinner ride so nostalgic and iconic that it could stay in the park, without the connection to the movie? I'm leaning toward thinking NO at this point.

PiratesMansion

All of this is true for the near term, but as @Sharon&Susan is pointing out, will that be the case in the far distant future? Disney putting the disclaimer and delisting it for children on Disney+, means that it won't be readily available for children today to watch. That could impact relevancy in the future. In a couple generations, park guests may be largely unaware of who or what a DUMBO is.

Is the Dumbo experience of a flat spinner ride so nostalgic and iconic that it could stay in the park, without the connection to the movie? I'm leaning toward thinking NO at this point.
A reminder that plenty of people walk into Disneyland having no idea what IASW, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, etc. are and still manage to enjoy them just the same.

Dumbo is a park icon and will remain a park icon whether or not anyone cares about the actual film (because these parks, when done well, have value far beyond which IPs or flavor of the decades they feature at any given moment). There's a reason it's one of only a few rides that's in every single castle park (and I would imagine it's not entirely just the "cuz it's cheap" reasons that keeps bringing copies of WDW's Pooh into the world) and it shows up in pretty much every park commercial.

I mean, let's be honest. How many people that walk into the parks that don't have children have watched any of the movies that are the basis for the dark rides in Fantasyland recently? Probably very few. Yet they still enjoy the attractions. How many have seen Roger Rabbit recently?

And really, what incentive do they have to remove it or change it? They're not going to fit something more elaborate there. It's iconic. There's no point in replacing the Dumbos with, I don't know, flying carpets. For what benefit? For whose?

Sometimes I agree with you, and then sometimes you say things like this and I wonder if you've ever actually been to the parks at all. I'm not pretending that Dumbo's high art, but when you just are so cavalier about throwing out things like Dumbo, Pirates, and Mansion because they're not flavor of the moment...maybe you should be going to some other theme park.

Darkbeer1

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom