Duffy meet and greet in Walt Disney World's Epcot will end October 3rd this fall

asianway

Hate to be one of those hostile people but you gotta chill. Anything that has something that goes by the name of "Gelatoni...Really?!?" was destined to fail. And btw, this is the best line in your entire tirade..."I had ZERO interest in either teddy bears or Disney before I came under Duffy's powerful thrall of uncompromising quality, timeless craftsmanship and endless charm." You are awesome.
Not all my words-the top 2/3 is a Japanese poster. Mine are the last 3 paragraphs about how TDO doesn't have a clue about how to monetize Duffy

brb1006

Original Poster
The Duffy hatred is all kinds of laughable.

It's not like he was roaming the park dragging you to his meet and greet and then forcing you to get a picture.

Nor has his presence been the only thing preventing some major new attraction being built.

These people better never go to Tokyo DisneySEA. He's everywhere

I agree, I remember hearing about Duffy way before he was heard in the US when he showed up at Disneyland and WDW. This was back in 2009 or 2008 when I was learning about Tokyo Disney Resort.

Cmdr_Crimson

I agree, I remember hearing about Duffy way before he was heard in the US when he showed up at Disneyland and WDW. This was back in 2009 or 2008 when I was learning about Tokyo Disney Resort.

Before he had a name he was just called The Disney Bear. The first book was Released in 2005 called The Story of The Disney Bear: A Day in the Magic Kingdom..

And here's what the original version looked like...
IMG_1288.jpg

Found on Google Images

Duffy is the second incarnation of the original Disney Bear with a Different story and Design..
61af3KWJ5FL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I'm sure this has been said but the reason many people dislike Duffy is when you are basically told "YOU WILL LIKE THIS." Figment is the one true "mascot" of Epcot. Figment if anybody should have had the themed costumes around World Showcase. But some ignorant Disney high up exec came back from Japan and thought "Hmm.. Those Japanese love Duffy. They spend a ton on it. Japan is much smaller than the United States. Can you imagine how much we'll sell in the U.S?"

Duffy was popular in Japan for a few reasons but I would say partly because it was created for them. And that's cool.

But to me, I don't like something forced on me just because some MBAer thinks it'll sell a ton of merchandise. You can't force something like that on guests. Phenomenons are usually natural.

Now, I don't fault anyone who liked the bear (maybe I do haha), but that's why he bugs so many. Now give me a Figment with lederhosen !

The Duffy hatred is all kinds of laughable.

It's not like he was roaming the park dragging you to his meet and greet and then forcing you to get a picture.

Nor has his presence been the only thing preventing some major new attraction being built.

That would sure make an awesome horror movie though. Duffy just want to play. RAWR!

French Quarter

Duffy was popular in Japan for a few reasons but I would say partly because it was created for them. And that's cool.

That's not entirely true. Yes, the Disney Bear was renamed Duffy when the park in Tokyo opened and was first introduced there. However, the Disney Bear made his first appearance back in 2002 when Once Upon a Toy opened in DTD.

Nastory4

I had no idea Duffy was so unliked! I thought it was a fun M&G always very interactive. Last time he saw my Hogwarts shirts and we did spellwork and he floated away (aka ballerina twirled away) when we did Wingardium Leviosa.
Nor have I. However, I can do with out him as well.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
That's not entirely true. Yes, the Disney Bear was renamed Duffy when the park in Tokyo opened and was first introduced there. However, the Disney Bear made his first appearance back in 2002 when Once Upon a Toy opened in DTD.
He was "reimagined" I guess I should say with a backstory and such.

brb1006

Original Poster

I'm sure this has been said but the reason many people dislike Duffy is when you are basically told "YOU WILL LIKE THIS." Figment is the one true "mascot" of Epcot. Figment if anybody should have had the themed costumes around World Showcase. But some ignorant Disney high up exec came back from Japan and thought "Hmm.. Those Japanese love Duffy. They spend a ton on it. Japan is much smaller than the United States. Can you imagine how much we'll sell in the U.S?"

But to me, I don't like something forced on me just because some MBAer thinks it'll sell a ton of merchandise. You can't force something like that on guests. Phenomenons are usually natural.

Now, I don't fault anyone who liked the bear (maybe I do haha), but that's why he bugs so many. Now give me a Figment with lederhosen !
Why do I get the feeling that alot of Japanese tourists that are mostly familiar to Tokyo Disney Resort will be leaving alot of complaints to the WDW cast members about why they stopped the Duffy meet and greets. They will pretty much stick to Tokyo Disney Resort after that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom