Dueling Dumbo Design Problems?

jmick71

i saw this when it first opened... did not say anything whoops LOL
when i went on it only seemed like 3 or 4 of the dumbos had these scrapes. did not feel them scraping while i was on. also when i went last week, the "second" dumbo AKA the "old one" did not have these scrapes so it does seem like they fixed the problem on the Second dumbo

Ignohippo

But wouldn't sealing a hollow leg require grafting some kind of skin over the whole, which would in turn scrape the concrete again?

Without knowing the tolerances involved, all this is just speculation on my part.

Nah, it's fiberglass, so it's just a mater of some mesh, resin and sanding. No big deal at all and I'm sure with all of the fiberglass vehicles around WDW, the maintenance staff are probably pros at it.

Pixiedustmaker

I'm surprised they didn't shut the Dumbo down as the issue potentially goes beyond a little scrapped fiberglass.

In warmer weather, stuff expands, and I would assume that the ride would have to have a couple of inches leeway, to deal with the expansion of the metal in the ride. So, as somebody said, is this a design issue or a construction issue. It could be one, or the either, or both. Somebody in design could have switched some number for the maximum width of the dumbo or something like that. The mistake isn't fractions of inches, but inches, that's kinda concerning. I'd figure that because the fiberglass shell of the Dumbo doesn't support most/any of the weight of the riders, a small cracked area isn't that bad, I doubt this relatively small amount of friction would damage the motor, but the effect on the tiles could potentially loosen them up.

The issue is what caused the problem, what if some of "nuts and bolts" connecting the Dumbos was improperly installed, and the Dumbos are slipping ever so slightly outwards with centrifugal force, (like how riders get pushed up against one side of the Dumbo).

This would be scary as potentially you're looking at an increased risk of catastrophic failure during operation. Dumbo ain't a toy, even though it looks nice, remember that the ride (or former ride) in Disneyland with the most fatalities was the relatively harmless looking People Mover.

If you like construction shows, then you'll probably get the reference when I say that the "Holmes on Homes" or "Holmes Inspection" guy should be called in to look at Dumbo. In typical Holmes fashion he'd look at it and find a multide of things wrong, and then head into the interactive queue and call up the owner and tell them that its worse than he thought and that the whole thing needs to be removed. His crew would take a crowbar to the McPlay area while he made comments like, "Who the heck does this? I bet they didn't pull any permits."

Pixiedustmaker

Nah, it's fiberglass, so it's just a mater of some mesh, resin and sanding. No big deal at all and I'm sure with all of the fiberglass vehicles around WDW, the maintenance staff are probably pros at it.

I would guess that first they need to move the Dumbos back a couple of inches, or more likely expand the "hole". Metal contracts and expands, and who knows what might happen in the future, they got to have a couple inches of clearance.

alissafalco

I think a lot of people are making it much more complicated than what it really is. Some sanding, patching, and painting is all it needs.

Scuttle

OH my god...a spinner. That's what Dumbo basically is, a spinner. And the Disney ride designers screw it up. What the EFF? How...? I mean, screwing up a giant, never-before-attempted AA like the Yeti is one thing, but a spinner!!!! And one they've built before! How the heck did they mess THAT up?

This is what happens when you continuously go with the cheapest bids from contractors. You get what you pay for. Maybe one day TDO will figure this out.

vinnya1726

Let's see-
A fence around Casey Junior. Scraped Dumbos. An "interactive" McPlay area...Bad luck (or design) comes in threes. We should be good to go for the rest of the Fantasyland expansion.
Maybe the Imagineers assigned to this project just have problems with the most basic of attractions but are geniuses in designing complicated attractions.

We can only hope.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm surprised they didn't shut the Dumbo down as the issue potentially goes beyond a little scrapped fiberglass.

In warmer weather, stuff expands, and I would assume that the ride would have to have a couple of inches leeway, to deal with the expansion of the metal in the ride. So, as somebody said, is this a design issue or a construction issue. It could be one, or the either, or both. Somebody in design could have switched some number for the maximum width of the dumbo or something like that. The mistake isn't fractions of inches, but inches, that's kinda concerning. I'd figure that because the fiberglass shell of the Dumbo doesn't support most/any of the weight of the riders, a small cracked area isn't that bad, I doubt this relatively small amount of friction would damage the motor, but the effect on the tiles could potentially loosen them up.

The issue is what caused the problem, what if some of "nuts and bolts" connecting the Dumbos was improperly installed, and the Dumbos are slipping ever so slightly outwards with centrifugal force, (like how riders get pushed up against one side of the Dumbo).

This would be scary as potentially you're looking at an increased risk of catastrophic failure during operation. Dumbo ain't a toy, even though it looks nice, remember that the ride (or former ride) in Disneyland with the most fatalities was the relatively harmless looking People Mover.

If you like construction shows, then you'll probably get the reference when I say that the "Holmes on Homes" or "Holmes Inspection" guy should be called in to look at Dumbo. In typical Holmes fashion he'd look at it and find a multide of things wrong, and then head into the interactive queue and call up the owner and tell them that its worse than he thought and that the whole thing needs to be removed. His crew would take a crowbar to the McPlay area while he made comments like, "Who the heck does this? I bet they didn't pull any permits."

Presumably when the scapping first happened the ride was shut down and inspected to determine the root cause and it was determined that leaving it running was not a safety concern. Also, as was shown in one of the pictures posted here a series of tiles was removed from one spot on the pit, that may have been enough to prevent further issues until a permenant fix can be done.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Let's see-
A fence around Casey Junior. Scraped Dumbos. An "interactive" McPlay area...Bad luck (or design) comes in threes. We should be good to go for the rest of the Fantasyland expansion.
Maybe the Imagineers assigned to this project just have problems with the most basic of attractions but are geniuses in designing complicated attractions.

I'll give you one and two, but three is just a matter of opinion. I don't see anything wrong with the design of the Dumbo queue.

rioriz

Well just give it a kiss, neosporin, and band aid...always worked for me!!

It would be wise to read the other threads first before making a new one about the same topic we have been debating ad nauseum...

flynnibus

Premium Member
In warmer weather, stuff expands, and I would assume that the ride would have to have a couple of inches leeway, to deal with the expansion of the metal in the ride

The arms in this type of scenario would never expand 'inches'. You're talking like fractions of an inch tops in these kinds of distances and materials.

Goofy6294

Re-paint a pained expression on the face of the elephants, show some blood on the scrapes and color the water in the fountain red - now we have the zombie apocalypse version of Dumbo!

MAF

Let's see-

Disneyland is looking better and better everyday...

EpcotFanForever

lK8Vv.jpg

Fixed...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom