DTD: The hits just keep on coming...

71jason

Original Poster
According to Screamscape, Starbillas (on the corner by the new balloon) has marked the store down 40% and has a lease about to expire. May follow Virgin on the way out. Also has a rumor that the McDonalds may be closing. :shrug:

That's gonna be one long Cupid Shuffle to distract guests from all those empty buildings.

GothMickey

According to Screamscape, Starbillas (on the corner by the new balloon) has marked the store down 40% and has a lease about to expire. May follow Virgin on the way out. Also has a rumor that the McDonalds may be closing. :shrug:

That's gonna be one long Cupid Shuffle to distract guests from all those empty buildings.

Didn't a store similar to this in Disneyland's DTD clsoe recently too?? I never did understand how a store sych as Starbillas stayed in business. I enjoyed walkng through there but the prices for things, IMO, was way too expensive. With these closings, I'd like to think there is a plan, but, we all know Disney doesn't have one.

jakeman

....All this and they still wont open the Adventurers Club. I guess they dont want to make money after all:rolleyes:
This doesn't really have anything to do with the Adventure's Club other than being in the same area.

It's strange around here that physical proximity indicates a correlation of events.

This is a decision that could come from the company that owns Starbilla's and have nothing to do with the current state of DTD.

NMBC1993

This doesn't really have anything to do with the Adventure's Club other than being in the same area.

It's strange around here that physical proximity indicates a correlation of events.

This is a decision that could come from the company that owns Starbilla's and have nothing to do with the current state of DTD.

I'm just saying that with all these places closing, DTD is going to be in some serious trouble. If they can't get and companies to come in to fill the already empty buildings, how can they get them to fill places like Virgin? They could just Re-open AC until they do get back on their feet but we all know that won't happen. They'd rather close all of DTD then do that:animwink:

jakeman

I'm just saying that with all these places closing, they are going to be in some serious trouble. If they can't get and companies to come in to fill the already empty buildings, how can they get them to fill places like Virgin? They could just Re-open AC until they do get back on their feet but we all know that won't happen. They'd rather close all of DTD then do that:animwink:
How is that going to solve the macro problem of DTD as a whole?

While it would definately garner the good will of the fan base, it won't replace the revenue lost by Virgin and the potential revenue lost by Starbilla's.

I fully support the reopening of the Adventure's Club, but to assume what is, in essence, a dinner show that people have annual passes for is not the silver bullet to cure DTD woe's.

DisneyMusician2

Why would McDonald's close?? That rumor makes no sense.

Well, Disney has been cutting ties with McDonald's in many ways, and perhaps they don't feel the foot traffic is enough to keep the place open.

It may also be an owner simply folding a store, they all are independently franchised.

NMBC1993

How is that going to solve the macro problem of DTD as a whole?

While it would definately garner the good will of the fan base, it won't replace the revenue lost by Virgin and the potential revenue lost by Starbilla's.

I fully support the reopening of the Adventure's Club, but to assume what is, in essence, a dinner show that people have annual passes for is not the silver bullet to cure DTD woe's.

Yes I do agree that it wouldn't fix all the problems that DTD has. But it is better then having 10 empty buildings just collecting dust mean while guest are renting out taxis to go over to Citywalk.

Why would McDonald's close?? That rumor makes no sense.

If anything they might just close it for a short time to make it into a McCafe like the one next to AllStars.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Didn't a store similar to this in Disneyland's DTD clsoe recently too?? I never did understand how a store sych as Starbillas stayed in business. I enjoyed walkng through there but the prices for things, IMO, was way too expensive. With these closings, I'd like to think there is a plan, but, we all know Disney doesn't have one.
I tend to agree. I would always visit Starbillas when I was in DTD but I never once purchased a thing from that store.

PhotoDave219

Well, Disney has been cutting ties with McDonald's in many ways, and perhaps they don't feel the foot traffic is enough to keep the place open.

It may also be an owner simply folding a store, they all are independently franchised.

Actually McDonalds Corporation runs many of their own stores. Not all are franchised.

wdwmemories

I agree that Starbillas is a cool store - I've walked in a few times. I think the fact that they have a huge frame with signatures of every US President (maybe minus Obama) is amazing!
But I also agree that I've never purchased anything, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone purchase anything.
I had to see another DTD shop close, but maybe there is a better fit for this spot.

CaptainMichael

Wouldn't it be something if Cirque didn't renew its contract?

TDO sure has gotten into a pickle with DTD.

The lesson to be learned here is to not be too reliant on 3rd Party Vendors that ultimately, you cannot control...

wilsonhanks

They could always import the vendors from Old Town!!! 85 flavors of popcorn would sell like crazy in DTD!!! And imagine the sky coaster, they could have people flying over Lake Buena Vista just like Hathaway Brown!!!! :) :animwink:

jt04

The lesson to be learned here is to not be too reliant on 3rd Party Vendors that ultimately, you cannot control...

I agree with you about third party vendors to an extent. Although others have and continue to do well in DTD. Disney has the ability to develop it's own properties. And even if Cirque left, Disney would then potentially have the theater for it's broadway productions so many here have expressed the desire to see. And since those shows can be rotated it will always be fresh.

Wouldn't mind seeing HoB leave so that facility could be converted into the PatF restaurant while still offering sophisticated New Orleans flavored entertainment. :)

As for McD's, let's just hope the rumor is true. Nothing against them but it just doesn't "fit" with where DTD is heading.

wdwfan100

I agree totally. Control your own destiny. Even if it takes a little more work.

RiversideBunny

There are some trips to WDW where we don't go to DTD.
The restaurants in the parks and the resorts provide eating and Mouse Gear and other shops provided good shopping, so no need to go to DTD.
We tend to spend more time on the bus going to and from DTD than we do looking around there.

I think DTD will have to have unique things to attract WDW visitors or else it will be a place where people go if they don't have park tickets or time on a quick Orlando visit to really see the parks.

IHMO.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom