Drowning at Disney Resort Pool

Iakona

Original Poster
<FONT color=black>May 6, <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< font O:p<>
<O:p< font O:p<>

Nancy Heizer, 58, of Colorado Springs, was pronounced dead Thursday night after another guest noticed her floating motionless in a swimming pool at the Coronado Springs Resort, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

Guests, including a registered nurse from Maine, tried to resuscitate the victim. Cathryn Paolucci, the nurse, used an Automated External Defibrillator provided by Disney employees but was unable to restart the woman's heart, records show.

Heizer arrived Sunday for a weeklong stay to attend a conference of the U.S. Figure Skating Association, records show. Heizer worked for the skating association.

Henry Pierson Curtis, Kelly Griffith, Gary Taylor, April Hunt, Claudia Zequeira and Pedro Ruz Gutierrez of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

<CITE>Copyright © 2006</CITE>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:PlaceType w:st=
<font color=" /><st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pColorado< st1:State ST1:p<><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><ST1:p< O:p< p show.<O:p< records heart, woman?s the restart to unable was but employees Disney by provided Defibrillator External Automated an used nurse, Paolucci, Cathryn victim. resuscitate ST1:ptried><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><FONT color=black><O:p< O:p< p><CITE><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>,</CITE><O:p< O:p< p></O:p<>
</O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></ST1:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></ST1:pColorado<></st1:State></O:p<></O:p<>

steviej

that is so horrible. It looks bad for disney being that someone just died on mission space not too long ago. But obviously it's worse for that woman's family and friends. R.I.P. Nancy Heizer

Micca

So sad. I know it brings bad pub to WDW, but when you have 100,000+ people on property any given day, all sorts of life events are bound to happen.

Mad Stitch

My condolences to the family. Where were the lifeguard(s)? I can’t believe something like this happened with the strict training program the lifeguards are put through. I have a feeling we do not have the full story.

peter11435

Mad Stitch said:
My condolences to the family. Where were the lifeguard(s)? I can’t believe something like this happened with the strict training program the lifeguards are put through. I have a feeling we do not have the full story.
The article said it happened Thursday night. I would bet that the incident took place during the night after the pool was closed. Thus there were no life guards on duty.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Mad Stitch said:
Lifeguards are not on duty 24/7.

jmvd20

Mad Stitch said:

My sympathies are with the persons family and friends, this is not an easy time for them.

As to your post, the fact of the matter is people have a tendancy to not live forever. While this is very unfortunate it is a fact of life that we all must deal with. Things happen in this world that are tragic and sad. But why must someone always be at fault when such instances occurr? Why do we always have to blame someone or something when these things happen?

MickeyTigg

hakunamatata said:
This is tragic.

I am sure it will spur some "Are Disneys pools safe?" discussions.

Tragic indeed.

If we follow the logic from the anti-M:S discussions, we should be seeing a big push for replacing the pools with wading pools because Disney pools are way too dangerous.

:lookaroun

jmvd20

TiggerRPh said:
Tragic indeed.

If we follow the logic from the anti-M:S discussions, we should be seeing a big push for replacing the pools with wading pools because Disney pools are way too dangerous.

:lookaroun

Eliminating the pools would be the best way to go, you can still drown in a wading pool :hammer:

;)

Kadee

That is such horrible news.

If you really think about it, it's probably not that more things are happening at WDW now, it's that the media has gotten so big and on top of things, that just about everything is reported. Twenty years ago, we didn't have so many ways of getting the news (no internet, not nearly as many news channels, etc). There may be a few more incidences than 20-40 years ago because of the increased numbers, but I think most of it has to do with more things are being reported.

Ivan72

peter11435 said:
The article said it happened Thursday night. I would bet that the incident took place during the night after the pool was closed. Thus there were no life guards on duty.

As I recall only the main pools are guarded at moderate resorts. Or as you mentioned, it could have been after hours. At AKL the guards announce at 10:00 pm that they are going off duty and the pool will be unguarded. But it's still open, albeit with no water slide.

Bottom line is that it's very sad. But with the sheer numbers of people on WDW property, just by percentages life happens and with it tragedies on occasion as well.

tigsmom

hakunamatata said:
Lifeguards are not on duty 24/7.

And even if they were they may not have been able to help. I see no report of an autopsy, she may have had a massive stroke or heart attack, dove in and broke her neck, etc.

Just because it happened on WDW properety does not make it WDW's fault.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom