Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

Goofyernmost

Are you saying that without the “Walt”, non-fans would confuse the Florida resort with Disneyland?
Yup, they've done it quite often even with the word Walt in it. There are many tails of people buying tickets and making reservations for the wrong side of the continent. Hell there is still a bunch that don't know that Epcot is part of WDW.

LittleBuford

Yup, they've done it quite often even with the word Walt in it. There are many tails of people buying tickets and making reservations for the wrong side of the continent. Hell there is still a bunch that don't know that Epcot is part of WDW.
All of which shows that the presence of “Walt” has done nothing to stop the confusion. I doubt taking it away would make much difference.

(To be clear, I’m not arguing in favour of changing the name.)

Goofyernmost

All of which shows that the presence of “Walt” has done nothing to stop the confusion. I doubt taking it away would make much difference.

(To be clear, I’m not arguing in favour of changing the name.)
It did clarify which one was which though and there is still a lot of confusion with Walt in the name, image what might happen without it. I'm not talking about thousands of people, just a few but dropping it wouldn't help that situation.

MagicHappens1971

I feel like this conversation should be opened and closed, as many others have already posted in here “Walt Disney World is a tribute to the life and philosophy of Walter Elias Disney….” I feel like the most likely scenario is that Disney may be allowing “Walt” to be dropped in communications and maybe even in more casual conversation. For example anytime someone doing some type of marketing video says Disney world, they say Walt Disney World (it’s proper name). When the general public says Disney World or just Disney. Time will tell

Cmdr_Crimson

Did everyone forget that there is this in Paris using his first name?
e66d62cc9192d18d7e7fd99b0bf99882--studio-logo-disney-films.jpg

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

I don't think the current state of WDW embodies what would have been Walt's vision, independent of the obvious EPCOT differences.
I think even if the true EPCOT vision was never had ( reality set in re: many aspects of the original EPCOT concept), but he was around and developed all that land into the existing 4 park (or 5 or 6) as a much easier commercial venture, they would be far superior to what is offered now in way of value. At least I'm pretty confident there wouldn't be a charge for parking, LOL. So, the name change is no big deal to me.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There’s a reason the term “Walties” exists within the company. Hint, it’s not a term of endearment.
I imagine TWDC will commission Pink Floyd to write the sequel to their epic rock opera, and call it The Walt.

They'll be reusing at least one of the songs with slightly altered lyrics: "Tear Down The Walt."

Californian Elitist

Which is why IMO is not a smart idea putting a statue of him in a place that isn't what he invisioned...There better be a small plaque at the bottom stating "Where's My City?"
maxresdefault.jpg
I agree. This statue is weird, given his dream never came to fruition. What exactly is he looking at?

WDW seems to have a habit of disingenuously attaching itself to Walt Disney, almost in a similar fashion to the way DL is actually attached to Walt Disney, instead of embracing its own history.

Case in point…this shirt… What?

65E42E4C-244F-445C-9EE7-19495CFB3587.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom