Rumor Dropping the "Walt" from "Walt Disney World"

donaldtoo

People abbreviate official names all the time. For instance, if traveling abroad and a citizen of The United States of America is asked where they’re from, they’ll probably respond “America”, or “The USA”.
Doesn’t mean the official name needs to be changed, in my estimation.
Plus, maybe it’s a sentimental thing, but, WDW fans are still buyin’ up tons of merch with “Walt” included…!!!!! :hilarious:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Mixing up Disneyland and Walt Disney World, and which is located where, is already incredibly common among the general public.
Well, not just the general public.

A few years ago, I had to call to straighten out my and my friend's annual pass renewal (for WDW) because the website allowed me to do something which it shouldn't have (according to them). Anyways... I kept getting transferred and wound up talking to the AP staff at DL!

So... even the customer reps get confused.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And hey, why aren't they *adding* "Walt" to Disneyland in Anaheim?!?!!1!!

Such disrespect to Walt to not refer to Disneyland as Walt Disneyland!! Whoever decided to leave "Walt" off of Disneyland's name should be fired because they have no sense of Walt's importance and no sense of history.

This is, in fact, MY LAST STRAW!!! I'm never going to Disneyland again, or, as seemingly only I proudly call it: Walt Disneyland!11!!!

Joel

I don't believe this is happening either, but I think some people are making a big mistake in acting like largely symbolic meaning is the same as no meaning at all. I, too, usually refer to it as Disney World (or just Disney) in casual speech, so a name change wouldn't affect me much in a practical way. But it would be extremely telling as to how little respect the current powers-that-be have for the man who is the reason that place and their jobs even exist.

Yes, Disneyland doesn't have the name Walt in it. Congratulations, you're all so clever and funny. But Walt Disney World was named that, by his own brother, to honor him for as long as it existed. If such a name change were to ever happen, it would have to be done with the specific intention to disrespect both men and everyone who loved them. Any other reason ("brand unification", lol) would be a lame non-excuse that only blatant shills would accept.

wdw1071

I kind of feel this will be a non-issue. I don’t think the name will officially change and all that may come out of it is merchandise with the words Disney World or some type of marketing campaign with just Disney World. As someone mentioned, the name of the website has been disneyworld.com forever and Disney themselves have embraced the term Disney World in the past. Remember that the Ocala area radio station back in the 90s contained the song with the words, “I’m going to Disney World”

LittleBuford

There’s a reason the term “Walties” exists within the company.
Do you believe there’s a contingent within the company who feels strongly enough to act “with the specific intention to disrespect both [Walt and Roy Disney] and everyone who loved them”? That’s describing a level of ideological zeal that seems pretty far-fetched to me.

Joel

Do you believe there’s a contingent within the company who feels strongly enough to act “with the specific intention to disrespect both [Walt and Roy Disney] and everyone who loved them”? That’s describing a level of ideological zeal that seems pretty far-fetched to me.
I believe we are well past the point of any level of ideological zeal being too far-fetched. Speaking about society in general, not TWDC specifically.

Again, I don't think this is likely at all. I just don't think there's a PR guru in the world that would be able to spin this as the NBD some act like it would be.

LittleBuford

I believe we are well past the point of any level of ideological zeal being too far-fetched. Speaking about society in general, not TWDC specifically.

Again, I don't think this is likely at all. I just don't think there's a PR guru in the world that would be able to spin this as the NBD some act like it would be.
There’s a whole lot of grey between treating it as no big deal and attributing it to the animus of an anti-Walt cabal.

tanc

Will Wallet Disney World still accept these if the name is changed?

050615_disney-dollars-feat-5.png

Californian Elitist

Ouch. I did a pickup order at Chipotle and felt like a fool driving to the wrong location yesterday, and that was only an extra ten minutes!
Yeah, that kind of mistake is just wild. It takes lack of attention to another level. I believe the DLR was able to accommodate the family and convert their WDW package to a DLR one, though.

I don’t think I have to say this here, but folks, PLEASE make sure you’re traveling to the right state and/or country when visiting Disney parks around the world

Animaniac93-98

It helps that the other parks have the nearby city in their names: Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong Disneyland etc

Disneyland in California is just...Disneyland. And since "Disney Land" (and "Disney World") is also just a part of our every day vocabulary, I'm not surprised people still mix them up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom