Drones may be used in Disney Parks in the future.

Bandini

Disney is restricted airspace under (if I remember correctly) 3000 feet, meaning anyone without approval (aka anybody who isn't Disney) who does fly in that airspace can probably be charged, or at least fined.

EDIT: Other than the threat of legal repercussions, there's only 2 ways I've heard of, either net guns (no, I'm not joking) or eagles trained to take down drones (again, no, not joking)

Well that would be really interesting. Do these Eagles have the ability to discern between a Disney Drone and a Non Disney Drone?

Also, does anyone including Disney have the ability to identify a drone's owner?

Pam Hates Penguins

And wasn't this concept art for the Disneyland Forever firework show during the Tangled scene? Those floating circles are supposed to be the floating lanterns?
MW-CS243_disney_MG_20140822134306[1].jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The weight of the sUA flown under this Waiver must not exceed 10 lbs and the ground speed of the sUA must not exceed 6 nautical miles per hour (7 miles per hour).

Whew. At least we'll be able to outrun them when they go haywire or achieve sentience.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is restricted airspace under (if I remember correctly) 3000 feet, meaning anyone without approval (aka anybody who isn't Disney) who does fly in that airspace can probably be charged, or at least fined.

Disney has to get approval, too, but approval can always be sought and be given with the right reason and jumping through the regulatory hoops. One assumes that Disney would get what ever approvals they ask for presuming they won't attack themselves.

And yeah, it's 3000 ft. high and a 3.48 mile radius from castle spire. (Which only includes a small northern section of Epcot. The rest of Epcot, and all of HS, AK, and DS are not included.

No%20Fly%20Zone_zpsga3supwc.jpg

LukeS7

Well that would be really interesting. Do these Eagles have the ability to discern between a Disney Drone and a Non Disney Drone?

Also, does anyone including Disney have the ability to identify a drone's owner?
By federal regulation, all drones must be registered with the FAA, so theoretically, yes, they'd be able to identify them using the serial number. That's only if the owner actually followed regulations though (which if they're flying it irresponsibly, they probably aren't)

Bandini

By federal regulation, all drones must be registered with the FAA, so theoretically, yes, they'd be able to identify them using the serial number. That's only if the owner actually followed regulations though (which if they're flying it irresponsibly, they probably aren't)
Thanks for the clarification.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not at all. Fireworks displays are very toxic and cause significant air, water and noise pollution. It's incumbent upon TWDC to reduce or eliminate these hazards and the drone technology may help.
Drones aren't to replace fireworks. But as you keep dragging this up every few months you already know that.

Fireworks will stop being used one day. Also, the sun will die one day. Neither will happen anytime soon.

Bandini

Drones aren't to replace fireworks. But as you keep dragging this up every few months you already know that.

Fireworks will stop being used one day. Also, the sun will die one day. Neither will happen anytime soon.
Boy, I hope you're right. I know TWDC is trying to find ways to cut costs and eliminating fireworks would be a huge savings. But the fireworks shows are my favorites at the parks.

Everytime I hear the rumor that WOC may replace Illuminations at EPCOT I cringe. WOC is nice, but not great IMO. Now if it had fireworks it would be a lot better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Boy, I hope you're right. I know TWDC is trying to find ways to cut costs and eliminating fireworks would be a huge savings. But the fireworks shows are my favorites at the parks.

Everytime I hear the rumor that WOC may replace Illuminations at EPCOT I cringe. WOC is nice, but not great IMO. Now if it had fireworks it would be a lot better.
WoC will not replace IllumiNations.

Daveeeeed

Thanks for clearing up that the Sun will die:D;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom