News Drone test at Walt Disney World

Vinnie Mac

This is really interesting because I know you were talking about how new entertainment additions were being greenlit very recently and you somewhat hinted at possible additions to Luminous over at Epcot. Could the drone test have anything to do with these things? @wdwmagic

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I really wanted to see drones at EPCOT. Using barges in the lake they'd never need to fly anywhere near guests. Similar could be done safely at AK although drones without some pyro may get tired quickly, but I guess it'd be better than nothing.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
This is really interesting because I know you were talking about how new entertainment additions were being greenlit very recently and you somewhat hinted at possible additions to Luminous over at Epcot. Could the drone test have anything to do with these things? @wdwmagic
I think we are about to see a resurgence in WDW entertainment, and drones will be a part of it. There are quite a few operational challenges, so it will be interesting to see how they move forward, but things are certainly heading in the right direction.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I think we are about to see a resurgence in WDW entertainment, and drones will be a part of it. There are quite a few operational challenges, so it will be interesting to see how they move forward, but things are certainly heading in the right direction.
Do you think it will be on the scale of pre-pandemic offerings? I know live entertainment, shows, and performers aren't cheap, but they add capacity very quickly, especially in parks which have become gridlocked due to G+/ILL.

Also I hope whatever offerings that are coming are available to general admission guests and not put behind a hard-ticket event paywalls.

Also maybe something to replace ROL at DAK. The entire empty arena with no purpose reflect poorly on such a top notch theme park.

trainplane3

I really wanted to see drones at EPCOT. Using barges in the lake they'd never need to fly anywhere near guests. Similar could be done safely at AK although drones without some pyro may get tired quickly, but I guess it'd be better than nothing.
Don't forget how the one piece of publicly released Harmonious concept art had many flat barges placed close to land where no other pyro barge were ever placed...

Mark Dunne

Looking to see if they can squeeze DVC huts in DS, Or Walt in his UFO looking for Mr Iger, to ask ,''what the hell are you doing with my company'' .

jrhwdw

Do we really have to wait till 2025 for this Resurgence?

Is the safest place for Drones still DS, since it's been done before?

Lilofan

I think drones would actually be a fun addition to night entertainment. Not sure why it seems people are against it? As long as not replacing anything.
Drones is also for a company to cut costs using the drones to do exterior building inspections etc. It eliminates the human element. It is just not for shows. Drones come to work, don’t call sick, question authority , ask for a raise or get hurt on the job. Those workers comp injuries by staff can run into millions of dollars to include rehab and hospital costs.

pigglewiggle

Drones is also for a company to cut costs using the drones to do exterior building inspections etc. It eliminates the human element. It is just not for shows. Drones come to work, don’t call sick, question authority , ask for a raise or get hurt on the job. Those workers comp injuries by staff can run into millions of dollars to include rehab and hospital costs.

What? I thought we were talking about entertainment.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think drones would actually be a fun addition to night entertainment. Not sure why it seems people are against it? As long as not replacing anything.
I think drones fall into the same category of projection mapping for a lot of people. When its new, its a wow moment, but over time, they are all start to look the same, and there is a case of "seen that all before."

Like projection mapping, there is also the risk of using them as a crutch and cheaper way of reducing physical effects, like Castle Dreamights, or fireworks.

Lilofan

I think drones fall into the same category of projection mapping for a lot of people. When its new, its a wow moment, but over time, they are all start to look the same, and there is a case of "seen that all before."

Like projection mapping, there is also the risk of using them as a crutch and cheaper way of reducing physical effects, like Castle Dreamights, or fireworks.
Fireworks uses more cast member labor, product , storage , etc. Drones is also cost savings for the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom