News Drone test at Walt Disney World

Indy_UK

WDW needs a drone show and AK should be perfect that I’m not sure how feasible it is a circular seated show which isn’t that big compared to WSL

pigglewiggle

I think drones fall into the same category of projection mapping for a lot of people. When its new, its a wow moment, but over time, they are all start to look the same, and there is a case of "seen that all before."

Like projection mapping, there is also the risk of using them as a crutch and cheaper way of reducing physical effects, like Castle Dreamights, or fireworks.

Okay yes, I can see that getting boring for frequent visitors. But for infrequent visitors, I think it would be a nice addition.

TTA94

I think drones fall into the same category of projection mapping for a lot of people. When its new, its a wow moment, but over time, they are all start to look the same, and there is a case of "seen that all before."

Like projection mapping, there is also the risk of using them as a crutch and cheaper way of reducing physical effects, like Castle Dreamights, or fireworks.

As long as we’re still getting a light parade along the parade route then I’ll be happy. But I fear that may not be the case?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
think drones fall into the same category of projection mapping for a lot of people. When its new, its a wow moment, but over time, they are all start to look the same, and there is a case of "seen that all before."
I think it all depends on the implementation. If we're talking about 100+ drones in a show versus a couple of dozen, it goes a long way to differentiate something incredible as opposed to ho-hum.
I'm guessing that they will also be only able to operated under ideal weather conditions, which pretty much ensures they will always be in a supporting role and not the star. Also if they're used in conjunction with fire works, the smoke situation would probably be a factor.

Disstevefan1

The fact that Disney is just now really getting into drones while places like Dollywood has done it for years is odd….either way, I would like to see more shows and attractions so hope they give us something good
Fact is, Disney tested it years ago in Disney Springs during Christmas time. I am guessing they did not want to SPEND THE MONEY if they could not DIRECTLY MAKE MONEY from it.

As we know, Disney parks and Resorts is less about the guest experience and more about MAKING MONEY.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think we are about to see a resurgence in WDW entertainment, and drones will be a part of it. There are quite a few operational challenges, so it will be interesting to see how they move forward, but things are certainly heading in the right direction.
I'd love to see a $199.99 upcharge giving you a rental shotgun and 20 shotgun shells, and 10 minutes to shoot down as many drones as you can.

jrhwdw

Fact is, Disney tested it years ago in Disney Springs during Christmas time. I am guessing they did not want to SPEND THE MONEY if they could not DIRECTLY MAKE MONEY from it.

As we know, Disney parks and Resorts is less about the guest experience and more about MAKING MONEY.
So.....how much Money is DL making off of Mix Magic???

Splashin' Ryan

The fact that Disney is just now really getting into drones while places like Dollywood has done it for years is odd….either way, I would like to see more shows and attractions so hope they give us something good
Yep, I saw the Summer and Holiday drone show they did last year and it was really something special, very high quality too and coming back this year!

BrianLo

I think we are about to see a resurgence in WDW entertainment, and drones will be a part of it. There are quite a few operational challenges, so it will be interesting to see how they move forward, but things are certainly heading in the right direction.

This makes sense with some of what I have heard and then also personally suspect;
-2025 is primarily entertainment counter programming and for marketing.
-2026 would be a timeline to see overlays by (i.e. Test track - etc.)
-2027 was the targeted date for an expansion of substance. Which I heard was actually MK back in summer of 2023 - they were sending it for formal budgeting prior to D23. 2 E-tickets. Though like always the suspicion was they'd miss their opening goal. Which I'd say is pretty likely if ground breaking is not formally occurring this year.

Exactly. They can have one dedicated drone show (i.e. Electrical Sky Parade) and one night spectacular that leans on it heavily as an element. Otherwise they risk over-exposure. They need to limit its use beyond that to pre-show tags or as they'd say 'Activations'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom