Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

Figgy1

We've driven 4 times. The first (we left CT at 10 p.m.) and someone hit us at 3:00 a.m. just north of Washington, DC. We left our car in Virginia (a lot of damage) and rented (insuranced paid) and drove down. We had left CT on a Wednesday night (as I said at 10 p.m.) and didn't get to WDW until Friday night at 9 p.m. ... a total disaster. This was in '98 and we got caught in Hurricane Bonnie on our drive back home. We didn't attempt to drive again until 2007, it seemed like it took forever to get there, then in 2008, a bad snow storm the day before we left (and my son had a bad car accident, although not hurt), took forever again. Then in 2009 there was a bad snow storm in Virginia ... took forever again. We just don't have any luck. However, if we do go this year (Christmastime), both my DS will be driving so with 4 drivers, it hopefully should take forever to get there.
You need a lot of pixie dust! Good luck and have a safe trip next time!

bethymouse

We have always driven ( 14 hours). We kept leaving earlier and earlier because neither of us could sleep!:eek:
This year, we've decided to "splurge" and fly!:D Boy's 1st flight!:eek: Only my 2nd!:eek: But, we're so excited to not be exhausted when we get there! I can't wait just to jump in the pool!:D I'm looking forward to it! But, I have to admit, that I will miss the "freedom" of driving and the "tradition" of counting the SOUTH OF THE BORDER signs!:D:eek:

MikeTaylorSound

...along with the stress of driving, having to [be] in a vehicle for that long and it honestly wasn't worth a $600 savings vs. flying down and being there in 2.5 hours.

We have to drive through ATL, so if we ever plan on driving again, we have to schedule our departure time to miss its peak traffic hours, it's still a 13.5 hour drive, we arrive exhausted, and then there's the extra stresses... newcomers around Lake Buena Vista are probably the worst drivers in the world (cut right in front of you two lanes over to make "their" exit; some even stop in the middle of the road for long stretches of time). Orlando's traffic can get pretty bad, too.

I would advise on flying for a few reasons:
1) It gives you extra time (an extra day or two) so your itinerary gets some wiggle room in case the forecast calls for rain all day on a park day.
2) Disney's Magical Express is a great, free service offered if you're staying on property (you become especially grateful if your flight has been delayed or you have to make an unexpected stop).
3) Time is money. You're on vacation, you shouldn't have to spend any time on it doing regular things you do at home, like "commuting."

Cosmic Commando

Actually, I like to choose a third option, the train. Specifically, Amtrak. We drive three hours to the Lorton, Virginia Auto Train Station, give our car to the person and they put it in the train (Yes, hence the name "Auto Train". The train is supposed to carry your cars). There's rooms for sleeping, dining, and by the next morning you're in Sanford, Florida. Now it's just a short drive to the world.
I really want to try this to make the drive back shorter/more fun. Everyone knows the drive back is :(:mad::(, amirite? In the good news/bad news department, my cousin lives like 10 miles away from the Auto Train station, so it would be very easy to stop off there for a bit before heading back to WNY. The bad news is that part of that 10 miles is across the Potomac with no bridge or ferry nearby, so it's about an hour's drive to go those 10 air miles. :rolleyes: I guess that's not the Auto Train's fault, but it still hurts a little bit to be so close, and yet so far away... literally!

KappleB2

We drive. Its about 11 hours from Knoxville. My Dad likes to drive as close to the Florida line as we can get and stop for the night. Hopefully we have free breakfast at the hotel then get to the park just in time for lunch!

Goofyernmost

For me, from Raleigh, it's a little less then 10 hours, from my door to Disney's. I am single so I drive it myself and make stops for (well, you know, essentials) and stretch my legs, which is more and more needed as I age. One stop for Gas and then it's Clear the Highway...I'ma comin through!

Last March, in fact come to think of it, one year ago today, I went to WDW with my Daughter, her husband and my 10 year old grandson. The three of us drove a little over 200 miles each and we were there. It was like driving to the grocery store.:D

Yert3

I usually drive, but it's really nice to fly. From where I am, it's only about a two hour flight. My mother is the one I go to Disney (She is a huge Disney fan as well) with. When we do fly, we buy our tickets a year in advance so they're super cheap.

Disvillain63

The drive takes us about 7 hours. We've thought about flying, but then reconsider...
Drive to local airport: 30 minutes
Pre-Airport Take-off Time: 45 minutes
Flight: 3.5-4 hours (includes layover in Atlanta or Charlotte...from Augusta)
DME: 1-2 hours (depends on resort)
Total Time: 6.25 hours - 7.25 hours

Return trip...
DME: 3 hours before departure
Flight: 3.5-4 hours
Drive home: 30 minutes
Total Time: 7 hours - 7.5 hours

...as for car trips...as a child, my family traveled every year from Augusta to Cleveland, OH...about 11 hours...and just flew to San Antonio and wished we had driven...about 18 hours...too many restrictions, hidden costs, and discomfort on flights...don't like waiting around airports either

Disvillain63

We are driving this time.We have flown every trip in between. I believe my husband said it was about 14 hrs. We will be staying outside the park the first night so we can be rested and ready to go go go! The first time we took our daughter she was 5. The perks of being an only child is she got the whole back seat to herself. We took so much stuff to make sure she was occupied. The trip was great. She did wonderful. This trip she is 16 and we are also taking a friend of hers also 16. I'm guessing I'm going to need a xanax to get thru this trip.:eek:
You'll learn so much because they'll forget where they are and just start talking to one another...they'll forget you're listening.;)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
The drive takes us about 7 hours. We've thought about flying, but then reconsider...
Drive to local airport: 30 minutes
Pre-Airport Take-off Time: 45 minutes
Flight: 3.5-4 hours (includes layover in Atlanta or Charlotte...from Augusta)
DME: 1-2 hours (depends on resort)
Total Time: 6.25 hours - 7.25 hours

Return trip...
DME: 3 hours before departure
Flight: 3.5-4 hours
Drive home: 30 minutes
Total Time: 7 hours - 7.5 hours

...as for car trips...as a child, my family traveled every year from Augusta to Cleveland, OH...about 11 hours...and just flew to San Antonio and wished we had driven...about 18 hours...too many restrictions, hidden costs, and discomfort on flights...don't like waiting around airports either

Oh, that totally makes more sense to drive...in fact, the one thing that makes my husband think about driving it is the security line at LaGuardia!!

GHOST1000

It's highly dependent on the driver / drivers ( age, likes driving or not, kids?, type of vehicle, etc). I try to take one drive down from Philly area (13 hrs) a year. But I love driving , for some people it just clears their head to drive and sing to the radio at the top of your lungs (. While other people driving by are looking at you like you're nuts). Everyone's different. For us if it were for the $ it would be cheaper to fly w/ just 3 of us. But we also roll into factor buying souvenirs we can bring back w/out checking bags on the plane... Philly a/p sucks, if your bags even make it there??? Also consider that you have a car already when there ,take out renting a car. ...flip side ,,,you're there in 2 hrs by flying, pluses to both sides, depending on what kind person you are. Sorry that didn't clear it up much.

Todd L

How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?
my first trip to wdw was with My entire family and Grandparents In a nice brand new Rv.I was 9 at the time and We drove from New york . At the age of 46 I can still remember the incredible excitement of the entire trip.

I drove once with my wife and kids...hope to NEVER do that again.1200 miles each way in a 9 day vacation really killed me.

My neighbors drove this week..Left sunday to check in on tuesday and have to be back for work this Monday. Its tough.

If I had two or three weeks I would consider traveling down With My camper BUT with Gas prices and all the travel related expenses its probably cheaper to fly.

Goofyernmost

It's highly dependent on the driver / drivers ( age, likes driving or not, kids?, type of vehicle, etc). I try to take one drive down from Philly area (13 hrs) a year. But I love driving , for some people it just clears their head to drive and sing to the radio at the top of your lungs (. While other people driving by are looking at you like you're nuts). Everyone's different. For us if it were for the $ it would be cheaper to fly w/ just 3 of us. But we also roll into factor buying souvenirs we can bring back w/out checking bags on the plane... Philly a/p sucks, if your bags even make it there??? Also consider that you have a car already when there ,take out renting a car. ...flip side ,,,you're there in 2 hrs by flying, pluses to both sides, depending on what kind person you are. Sorry that didn't clear it up much.
You're correct, everyone is different. Some like driving, some don't. When I went from Vermont, we had a non-stop to Orlando, so it was jump on a plane, ride for a little over 3 hours and walk out amongst the palm trees and warm air. That is compared to a 1500 mile drive. No contest if your single, even with a car rental it's cheaper, but sometimes I'd just like a road trip, so I'd drive down. I'd spend a few days in other places like Myrtle Beach or Savanna or Daytona. One time I took a couple of days out from WDW and drove to Key West. I don't mind driving but as I have gotten older the last 100 miles or so, gets really long. Not so bad just from NC. What I don't compromise on is having my own transportation. If I cannot move about without depending on others, then I feel like I'm in prison. (I think that's true, I've never been in prison)

I think I have stated before that I cannot stay in one place for extended periods of time. I need to explore. I've gotten to the point where I know my way around the Orlando/Kissimmee area as well as I do at home. I love the feeling of familiarity with whatever area I'm in. Just me, I guess...but since I don't believe in tampering with perfection...I'm not going to try and change.

DfromATX

We've always found decent airline tickets. It's not worth the time to drive to me. I would hate driving that far. My husband would love it, but when he suggests it, I tell him I'll meet him there!

piggy1116

Coming from upstate NY, we (myself, DW, DS(13), DD(11), DD(20)) drive every time we go to WDW. In addition to using the savings on an extra day or two of "Disney Time," the drive helps to build up the anticipation. We load the Ipod with Disney music, put Disney movies into the portable DVD players, play Disney trivia games...Lately, the drive has been just as much fun as the rest of the vacation. :D
Driving also allows us to time our arrival to as close to park opening as possible, so we don't lose a minute in our favorite place in the world. The one time we flew, we didn't arrive in Orlando until 4:00. After the Magical Express ride and check-in, we didn't get into our first park until 6:30. It seemed like such a waste of a day. By driving, we can time it so that we arrive in WDW by 9:00 am, and we're in the park by 10:00. I can leave the luggage in the car and check-in later.
Where in upstate are you, we are in the Hudson Valley and make the drive every year too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom