Driving to Disney... to drive or not to drive, that is the question!?!

lostpro9het

7 hours or less drive for the three of us. The DW and I flew last year on our anniversary trip. Counting travel to airport, waiting, boarding, unloading and DME trip to resort we were at just over 6 hours so it didnt really save us much time and cost us twice as much, but now we know.

Alison1975

12 hours is like a Sunday drive! :D We're about 20 hours driving away from Buffalo to WDW. We had always flown, but drove our last trip to save money. We drove straight through with two kids in back and loved it! As long as you have two or more drivers, I don't think it's too bad. One of us slept while the other drove, mostly.

We drive straight thru with 3 kids and ONE driver..lol.. I hate driving and can not drive on the highway..my husband loves the drive..

steviej

How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?

don't do it. I've done the drive twice from NJ, and after the second time I said never again. It's worth it to fly, you'll prob break even by the time you factor in gas and a room (if you were planning on stopping).

It's a long, miserable drive. Especially with kids. Plus, Virginia goes on forever, I didn't think that state would ever end lol

PurpleDragon

We're lucky, we live in Atlanta so our drive is only about 6 hours. We leave just before breakfast and get there just in time for check-in. I think the drive helps build the anticipation and makes the arrival that much more enjoyable.

The only time I've ever flown into Orlando was for business.

Goofyernmost

My best friend and I drove down last year from CT. It was nice to do it once. But, there really is not much to see on 95. If you plan to stop overnight in the northern Virginia area, I would recommend booking a reservation ahead of time. We were screwed out of staying anywhere in the area of the Auto Train - everywhere was booked. Personally, flying makes more sense. You get there quicker! Plus, no offense to anyone from the following states, BUT North and South Carolina were very boring to drive through.
I don't think that you will find anyone from either state that doesn't agree when you are referring to driving on I-95. :D

I still enjoy I-95 but I know it is mostly nostalgia. When I drive along I still am able to spot areas that I remember from my early trips. Bridges over certain rivers, old abandoned buildings along side the highway that once were thriving main route businesses until the interstate was established. Some are still there, empty and lonely looking. But I especially like the good old "South of the Border" signs. The ones in northern NC are the same signs from 30 years ago. They went more modern as you approach SOB. Don't like them as well. Let's hear it for whatever Pedro says! :D

PolynesianPrincess

Usually we fly but last May we drove from Maine. Took just over 24 hours. Airfare was well over $300 a person, probably close to $350, so we could not justify that, especially when driving cost us around $200 total. We've driven 5 times. It's not too bad. My mom and I split the driving. We were lucky to find cheap flights for $220 for May and $250 for Sept, all non-stops on Southwest.

cba

Actually, I like to choose a third option, the train. Specifically, Amtrak. We drive three hours to the Lorton, Virginia Auto Train Station, give our car to the person and they put it in the train (Yes, hence the name "Auto Train". The train is supposed to carry your cars). There's rooms for sleeping, dining, and by the next morning you're in Sanford, Florida. Now it's just a short drive to the world.

MarkandAmy

Coming from upstate NY, we (myself, DW, DS(13), DD(11), DD(20)) drive every time we go to WDW. In addition to using the savings on an extra day or two of "Disney Time," the drive helps to build up the anticipation. We load the Ipod with Disney music, put Disney movies into the portable DVD players, play Disney trivia games...Lately, the drive has been just as much fun as the rest of the vacation. :D
Driving also allows us to time our arrival to as close to park opening as possible, so we don't lose a minute in our favorite place in the world. The one time we flew, we didn't arrive in Orlando until 4:00. After the Magical Express ride and check-in, we didn't get into our first park until 6:30. It seemed like such a waste of a day. By driving, we can time it so that we arrive in WDW by 9:00 am, and we're in the park by 10:00. I can leave the luggage in the car and check-in later.

jaklgreen

There are 4 of us, and if we drove it would be 24(without stops). NO WAY am I driving that far. My kids ruined my bladder so now I have to stop every 1 1/2 hours to use the restroom. That turns our trip into a day and a half if you do not stop for the night. So in reality we would drive for 2days(with stopping for the night) there and 2 back. To me that is a waste of our vacation time off of work. I understand you spend time with family in the car but really I would rather spend that same time with them at WDW where everyone is happy and not cranky from sitting in a car for that long. It would not save us any money by the time you got a hotel for the night plus gas and the wear and tear on our car.Besides I would rather work a few extra hours to pay for the airplane tickets then spend 4 days in a car.

NutsForFlorida

We drive from MN everytime. I'd rather pay for gas and have my own car than pay for airline tickets and a rental. We used to drive straight through because it's only about 22 hours drive time to the Florida border from Minneapolis. But with younger kids now, we stay overnight in Kentucky, which is about half way. I do suggest if you do drive, have more than a week long vacation. We do 2 weeks.

popcenturylover

How far is too far to drive to WDW? How far have you driven from? Is it really worth saving the air fare? I'm from the northeast and Google says it would take me about 17 hours to drive. Unless you're an RV family and into the journey as part of your vacation, I don't see that as practical. "Save up and fly right", that's my motto! What's your opinion?
We've done both. 18 hour drive from NE Ohio.:eek: It was only a little over 2 hours for us to fly out of PITT to MCO. Much faster but, I don't like flying!

DebDeb

ROADTRIP! We love the drive from Texas! 6 of us packed into a Suburban plus luggage is hilarious! You can't see out the back window! We couldn’t afford to fly with all that stuff! It really is a good bonding time! We’ve stopped at Vicksburg to see the battle ground, Mobil to see the battleship, the coast many times. We look at it as another opportunity to make memories with family. The drive home is a bit sad, but it gives you time to wind down before the real world comes crashing back! Plus you have more room to take back all the Disney stuff you bought!

Poofiesdream

I would fly. Its worth the money to arrive in a few hours. Arrive fairly rested not all cramped up from all that time in the car and not wanting to kill each other. Unless you can take a few days driving down and stopping for a day somewhere in between to just be out of the car.

SAV

I looked at the total costs between driving down from Northern Illinois vs flying and it was going to be about a $600 difference. This was based on the fuel costs to drive, one night in a hotel(each way), food along the way, etc. So then I compared the total 4 days of driving time(there and back, including multiple stops for bathroom breaks and general stretch the legs time) along with the stress of driving, the having to deal with the kids in a vehicle for that long and it honestly wasn't worth a $600 savings vs. flying down and being there in 2.5 hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom