Driving stright down are we crazy?!?!

rob2004fx4

Last year I drove from Westminster, Md to Flagler Beach Fl in one shot, spent the night (had to pick up dd at a relatives house). Then it was only a cpl hours to Disney. Was not bad at all. We were rested for Disney since we stopped so close . All told it was about 15 hours on the road.

Well...

The last time my DW and I drove down from PA we stopped at a Hampton Inn in Emporia VA the first night, it was a new hotel and a great place to stay.

Then the second night we stayed in Hardeeville SC at a horrible Comfort Suites. You can't always trust what you read on Trip Advisor...We were there because we wanted to stop and eat at a place called the Crippled Crab in Hardeeville. It was recommended by a customer of mine and it was absolutely fantastic. It's nothing special inside or out, but it's only a mile or so West off of 95 at the Hardeeville exit and it's got great seafood for a reasonable price...best hush puppies I've ever had by far. It's a local favorite gem, not a chain restaurant...

Then we stayed in Savannah GA at a B&B for one night and spent the day with and old Coast Guard buddy and his girlfriend, we were on the way down to Disney's Vero Beach Resort for one night on our DVC points, and then on to WDW for a week at SSR.

On the way back...we drove straight through and it took us 18 hours. We had planned on stopping somewhere over night, but we both felt good and just kept on going no problem. We stopped for food, gas, and the occational potty break.

The trip down was great, we relaxed, stopped where we wanted to, enjoyed the sights etc... The trip back was only because we needed to get back home to our real life...work, family etc... Come to think of it, I liked the trip down better than the trip back home...but I'd do them both again today if I could afford it...:lookaroun

Tinkerbella16

Our first family trip to WDW back in 1992, we drove straight down from NJ, with only bathroom, gas, and food breaks. It was only my dad and my uncle switching off throughout the 19 hour drive!

After that we never drove again...just so quicker to fly. Unless someone is afraid to fly though.

mrerk

Premium Member
I would try and plan my arrival around 7-8 PM. That way if you hit some unexpected delays you should still be in your room before midnight and can get a full nights sleep.

I also agree with the others that said to make sure the driver always has someone else to keep them awake.

foreverbelle

Oops..my mistake! Should be 21 hours! :ROFLOL:

I was going to say. Wow 12 hours. lol.

I dif think it can be done. I know we drove from Northern VA, ended up stopping to pick up my sis then going down to Vero Beach for a few days. Obviously driving straigh through and further up north, is a little different than a trip with a couple of stops. But it can be done.

tinkerblonde11

We're in CT and we drive to Disney every single time we have gon (that's a lot). We have driven straight down 2 or 3 times and if you can handle it, go for it! My dad packs a lot of Monster and Res Bull energy drinks. They help.

Courtney1188

My family has done this with 2 drivers (when me and my brother were younger), and now we have 4. We've never stopped to sleep! We have reclining seats in our van, so we take naps while others drive, and upon arrival we have a routine; arrive in the afternoon, take a long nap, and go see the parade/fireworks in Magic Kingdom. It's always worked out well for us.

GOT2SAMMIES

We have made the 15.5 hr trip from VA, it has only been my husband & I, by the 3rd yr of making that drive we decided we just could not do it anymore, so we used to stop in SC & spend a day or 2.

Now we no longer drive, we take the Amtrak Auto train here in Lorton, VA. It is worth it to us, we get to sleep and someone else does the driving and we do not put the miles on the van.

Love the Auto Train! We took in this past April.. doesn't save you time but it sure saves you peace of mind. We had a sleeper and the dinner was good...we had the steak!Yummy!Anyway it takes me and my family about 12 hrs from good ol Chesapeake Va. We have drove it straight through many times, four to be exact. Make sure you stop and stretch and be careful for closed rest stops, especailly in va. They just closed at lot of rest stops, mostly on 81 and some on 95. Just check the VDOT website for closings. We visited family in baltimore this past weekend and come across at least two that were closed. Good Luck and don;t get sucked into South of the Border!...LOL:ROFLOL:

Susan Savia

We are just outside of the DC area and it takes l5 hours from here. We drive 8 hours to Santee, SC and stop for the night. Then its another 7 hours the following day. We make a 1/2 hour stop/break the second day in Daytona to see the ocean and then arrive in Orlando about 1:00pm. We carry our own snacks/food for the trip so no time consuming stops for meals. After check in and the car is unloaded, it's off to Epcot for the rest of the day.

mikewdw

we have a 8-9 hour drive. we like to get a book on CD and listen to it on the way down (at least before the kids had 2 DVD's going). get something really good like a grisham novel, something suspenseful. we also used to like arriving the night before our vacation started, staying offsite cheap and going to DTD for the evening. like a warmup before a big ball game. just be sure the drive wont wipe you out for the first day. i have also driven 3 times all night (or with only a couple of hours sleep) and got through the next day ok. but it was usually a couple of days before i felt 100%

cemeb4dk

We live about 45 miles west of Chicago. We or I should say I drive straight thru, takes about 19-20 hours. I love long road trips like that and can stay up for hours at a time due to my job. So we have found the best time to leave is about 2 in the afternoon, this way we miss all major rush hours. gets us into Atlanta about 1:30 or so and you can just fly thru it. We usually hit the morning rush in Gainesville but its usually not to bad. I do all the driving, I have had my wife drive for an hour or two when we hit Fl, sunrise and the fog sometimes at day break was working my eyes pretty good so for safety I had to switch seats for a bit. I am just not a good passenger for long trips. We just planned our next trip for Oct. so now we need to decide if we flying or driving.

slappy magoo

Slappette and I have gone to WDW together 5 times (we live in central/southish NJ). 1st time we flew down, but had to drive our rental car back because a hurricane was coming and the airports AND the parks were closed. We drove to the Alamo lot at the Philly airport, stopping for food and bathrooms and the occasional leg stretch in about 20 hours. After that, we drove the next few times, Slappette's not big on flying, and while it certianly takes longer, it's also a little freeing - you're on your schedule, not the airlines', you're not in a tube with recirculated air where one person with the sniffles can cause a flu outbreak by landing, you have your car with you so you don't need a rental, you can pack extra stuff you think you might need without extra baggage fees, and everywhere you go, there's a Cracker Barrel! :D

Now, I prefer driving straight down - leave in the early evening, do most of te driving at night when traffic's lighter, get there mid-afternoon, do an early dinner and lights out before long so we can hit the ground running the next day. Slappette prefers taking a break and getting a hotel. My only complaint with that is, when I'm in any hotel, it takes me until the second night to get a good night's rest (unless I'm exhausted from driving 20 hours straight through, like I'd like to do to get to WDW :) ), so that one night in a hotel does me no good at all. I'm jusy antsy to get back on the road, uncomfortable, and therefore I don't sleep.

Mid-December of 08 was the first time we went with our li'l Slapperina (she turned 5 months old during that trip), and it was the first time we tried the AutoTrain. You may remember, 2008 was the year gas prices officially went bat-____*t crazy, with months of prices being over 4 bucks a gallon. We originally considered taking it one-way and driving back, but gas prices at the time I made reservations were crazy enough that we just went whole hog (they wound up going back down before our trip). Slapperina just couldn't deal with driving unless she was asleep, so the idea of only driving when she was sleepy would've resulted in a 3-4 day drive. So we did the 4 hour drive to Lorton VA, she slept through 3 and a quarter hours of it, then screamed like a banshee the last 45 minutes. We had a sleeper car to keep her out of most people's hair if she screamed through the night. Wasn't ideal, but it worked out better than a drive would've on that particular trip.

Next time we go, I've no idea how we'll do it. If Slapperina is still teeny, I'll probably argue for the plane again, so if she's miserable it's only for a few hours, not 20 or more, and it's not like she'll be the only baby on a flight to Orlando :D But as far as the drive goes, Slappette and I did it a few times, and it definitely can be done. What I'd suggest is a hope for the best prepare for the worst scenario, have a list of a few hotels you wouldn't mind stopping at along the way if you decide you're too exhausted to make it, and make sure the list includes hotels throughout i-95 so if you decide to stop, wherever that it, you're ready. Many hotels will offer AAA members discounts. Stick with national chains; no guarantees that it'll be an awesome hotel, but the odds are better. Many places will offer at least a free continental breakfast, so it's one less stop you'll need to make in the morning.

cemeb4dk

Great write up Slappy. But you forgot Waffle House. We dont have those up here so we always try to count them on the way. I totally agree with you on just going straight thru, I am the same way.

My daughter did awesome int he car, she got a bit antsy here and there but the dvd player really helped alot, we to leave in the mid afternoon, so my thoughts are to have her sleep thru the night while I get the majority of driving done.

copcarguyp71

The only thing I can add to this is not forget the ride home, meaning...

Drive down...Anticipation, fun, talking about what to do, endorphins pumping, everyone excited

Drive home...bummer, cranky, kids did not want to leave anyway, trip home seems twice as long as trip down.

These are the negatives that have always kept us away from driving. The last thing I want is to come home from one of the bestest places in the world stressed and dreading back to work.

sockmonkeygirl

Em, I am from Massachusetts too, right near the CT border. Hello from Monson! :)

We are driving down too, in April. Maybe we can pinch eachother on the way down to stay awake. At least a game of punch buggy?!

Honestly, I'm starting to get bummed about the ride down. Long story - short, the 6 of us in a minivan wouldn't be THAT bad, b/c there'd be an empty seat between all parties (van seats 8) BUT my 21yo daughter is bringing her boyfriend, and I'm afraid it's going to be cramped back there for such a long ride. 21 hours straight, and really, who can do 'straight?' I told the family we were all wearing leg-bags lol. I don't ride real well (carsick) but I drive ok. I'll wear a scopalmine patch if I can get my hands on one. We've done 9 hours to Virginia. Funny thing is, every time I take a long trip, the ride home goes by much faster. Kind of just the opposite of the above poster. I've always wondered why. Maybe I don't "do" well with anticipation!

So....when are you going? And yes, we may be crazy. Prolly gonna do it anyway though, so we should at least wish eachother good luck. :)

WDW_Emily

Original Poster
Em, I am from Massachusetts too, right near the CT border. Hello from Monson! :)

We are driving down too, in April. Maybe we can pinch eachother on the way down to stay awake. At least a game of punch buggy?!

Honestly, I'm starting to get bummed about the ride down. Long story - short, the 6 of us in a minivan wouldn't be THAT bad, b/c there'd be an empty seat between all parties (van seats 8) BUT my 21yo daughter is bringing her boyfriend, and I'm afraid it's going to be cramped back there for such a long ride. 21 hours straight, and really, who can do 'straight?' I told the family we were all wearing leg-bags lol. I don't ride real well (carsick) but I drive ok. I'll wear a scopalmine patch if I can get my hands on one. We've done 9 hours to Virginia. Funny thing is, every time I take a long trip, the ride home goes by much faster. Kind of just the opposite of the above poster. I've always wondered why. Maybe I don't "do" well with anticipation!

So....when are you going? And yes, we may be crazy. Prolly gonna do it anyway though, so we should at least wish eachother good luck. :)

HELLO FELLOW WESTERN MASSER! I Live very close to Monson!(Wilbraham) also going in April! we have done the drive tons of times but always stop in the Carolinas to break up the time. we decided finnally that we will still make a stop but we will travel farther the frist day(to at least Georgia(

togathompson

done this a few times from the new haven, ct and albany, ny area about the same amount of time and each time all of us (wife & 3 kids) were a mess the first day there and both my wife and i drove. it's just the stress of car time and being uncomfortable that will beat you guys up regardless of age.

We did start staying in SC on the way down and Richmond, VA on the way back...highly recommend stopping if only for 5-6 hours to rest, eat and shower. Time it where you can stop around 8-10pm and arrive around lunch time for check in and lunch if possible.

The day you lose with shaking out the drive from an overnighter is not worth it in my opinion. You already lose enough of the vacation with the drive let alone being tired and having the group cranky...but the experience of the drive and the night in another place is still a fun adventure and worth the stories and memories.

Have fun!

sockmonkeygirl

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread. You're from Wilbraham..so cool! :wave:

I'll be driving down sometime between april 15 and the 18th. My husband was approved for april 18-24th off, but we'll need a couple more days, either at the beginning or end of that timeframe.

Soooo...the obvious question........................can my daughters boyfriend ride with YOU? LOL. :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom