Driving on 95

psdisney

Hi Everyone,

We will be driving from MA to WDW in April. We usually drive straight thru but were are thinking of stopping for the night in either SC or GA. Does anyone who has done this have any suggestions for a reasonably priced/safe hotel right off of 95 in either SC or GA.

Thanks!!

rkelly42

I leave from Mass at 1am in the morning and make it to St. Augustine Fl. by 6pm. Its a long drive, but I stay at the Wingate off exit 318. Its really nice and comfortable and clean. On the drive back I stop in Fredricksburg VA.

Upvote 0

celticdog

I agree with those about Santee, SC. From Santee it's about 6 hours to WDW.

Florence , GA is another good spot, lots of hotels and restuarants.

Upvote 0

psdisney

Original Poster
I leave from Mass at 1am in the morning and make it to St. Augustine Fl. by 6pm. Its a long drive, but I stay at the Wingate off exit 318. Its really nice and comfortable and clean. On the drive back I stop in Fredricksburg VA.

How far is St. Augustine from WDW? I would like to try leaving at 3 or 4 in the morning and check in to some place in FL so only a short drive the next day?

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

Less familiar with South Carolina, but Georgia has three spots of notice along I-95.

Savannah is a charming river town with plenty of accomodations, as mentioned earlier. It's the largest city in the coastal Georgia region, so you'll have no trouble finding a hotel there.

If you pass Savannah by, there are plenty of beds in Brunswick, about an hour south (where I grew up :D). There are several hotels right off the interstate at Exit 38 or Exit 36 in Brunswick. From there, it's almost exactly 3 1/2 hours to WDW.

If you drive through Brunswick, your last big exits before Florida will be in the Kingsland/St. Mary's area. Anything there will be literally minutes from the Florida state line.

Upvote 0

kerrie

look into driving alternate routes we only lost an hour but saved a bunch of money on tolls because we didnt hit a single one i think if you go to AAA and say you want a trip planned for disney driving I think its through pa. Im not sure but they might know what your talking about like i said it only added a hour no heavy traffic and absoultly no tolls. I cant help you on the hotel as i either drive through or we take a train. Sorry. But best of luck and have a safe journey

Upvote 0

gbruenin

We've done this several times from PA. There's tons of hotels off 95. We like Hampton Inns, as we've found they all seem to have just had upgrades in the last year or two.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest getting a GPS. Not so much for the directions (95 south for, oh, 900 miles or so, then bang a right at Daytona Beach on I-4), but for the 'hotel' option. We drive till just about the point we get tired, click the 'hotel' button on the Garmen to find the nearest hotels (and their phone numbers!!), then call to be sure they can take us. We've never had an advance reservation, and never had a problem.

To pass the time, try counting the 'South of the Border' billboards, both south bound and north bound. Which direction has more? :shrug:

Gary

Upvote 0

rkelly42

How far is St. Augustine from WDW? I would like to try leaving at 3 or 4 in the morning and check in to some place in FL so only a short drive the next day?
Depending on what time you leave St. Augustine it is roughly 2hrs from disney. It is about 60 miles to Rte 4 and from Rte 4 it is another 60miles about to disney. But you have to watch out for the traffic in Orlando.

Upvote 0

Dubman

Just a word of warning.. If you leave at that time, be prepared to hit lots of traffic through the major metropolitan areas.. We just made the trip a few weeks ago. We left at 6:00pm on a friday 2/12 and arrived in Disney at 4:00pm on saturday 2/13.. We had 3 drivers so each of us did two 3 hour shifts.. Worked very well for us (except for a flat tire in Georgia which set us back about 3 hours). We went through Baltimore & Washington in the middle of the night and hit very little traffic. If we didn't have 3 drivers we probably would have stopped near Richmond, Va around 2:00am, since by that point, most of the ride is smooth sailing, leaving ourselves about 11 hours the second day.. I find the most exhausting part of the ride is dealing with heavy traffic.. Good luck, and have a safe trip!

You shouldn't have to deal with snow in South Carolina like we did..

picture.php

Upvote 0

brisem

We're driving down from Mass (South Shore) in April. Figured from past drives leaving around 11a should get us to Southern NJ before traffic. Should arrive around 10-11a.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

How far down in GA.? I always stay in Kingsland, Ga. at the Holiday Inn Express....Just renovated 2 yrs ago and it has a great free breakfast and next to 95.We stayed there the past 3 yrs. It's 3 hrs from there to Disney....Hope this helps.....
We drive from CT and stopped at Kingsland, Ga. It was a great stop with lots of hotel choices. Then it was just a short two hour drive to WDW!!

KINGSLAND, GA

Upvote 0

addcogulf

Ga. is very fardown from Ma. We travel from Jersey and we make it down in one day, but if you want to split the ride comfortably, Iwould stop at exit 164 in Florence, South Carolina. That is a very large exit with many motels that are clean and reasonably priced. One niceone is the Econo Lodge. Its easy on, easy off. Theyoffer a contenental breakfast. Rooms are very clean, reasonably priced. But there are many other motels, too in all different price ranges, and you will have travled a more than half way down and you will have about seven or eight hours left to your trip which you can finish up that next day. there are also many resturants on that exit. Always drive safely. Spliting the ride this way will safely get you to WDW.Good luck:sohappy:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi Everyone,

We will be driving from MA to WDW in April. We usually drive straight thru but were are thinking of stopping for the night in either SC or GA. Does anyone who has done this have any suggestions for a reasonably priced/safe hotel right off of 95 in either SC or GA.

Thanks!!

I've done the 95 drive loads of time! I used to live on HHI, SC - and now in DC - so 95 is the way to go! We always stay at Hampton Inns. Usually can get them for about $89.00 a night. They are always clean and include bfast. Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

milin1609

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Have anyone tried Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham in Kingsland, GA. It is only 30 minutes north of Jacksonville, FL. Great Hotel. All Suites. Two seperate, Living and Bed rrom. 42" TV, Full breakfast everything. Very reasonablly priced for the amenities they provide. Look at
www.hotels.hawthorn.com/3869

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom