Driving from NY to WDW

BRER DAD

Did a search and found nothing........We usally fly but are going to drive down this year. The kids are very excited to drive. We are leaving from Syracuse NY and would like to leave AUG. 21 and arrive on AUG. 23. Any help on best route to take, stops along the way, ect. would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for all your help.:wave:

rkelly42

I am from just outside providence RI. I have driven down 8 time and I found for me the best time to leave was 1am. If I leave at that time I miss all of New York, Baltimore, and D.C traffic. I get to St. Augustine FL around 5:30pm and I usually hit just the beginning of Jacksonville traffic.

Upvote 0

Mr Wizard

I've been making the run from Baltimore to FL for 20 years, about two times a year. Stay on I95 and roll. Avoid being on 95 on the north side of the Baltimore beltway at rush hour. Take 295 thru DC, it's shorter than taking 495 around the city and brings you out right at the entrance to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge into VA. And avoid southern VA From 2PM till 6PM. For a room start looking about one state ahead and pick up one of the discount motel books at the rest stop and find an ad with the words "newly remodeled". If we leave at noon we can beat the VA bottleneck and have pretty much smooth sailing the rest of the way. A couple hour snooze at a rest stop around SC ( it's not worth getting a room, we're both too excited to get a whole nights sleep ) a full boat breakfast at Waffle House and we usually pull into Disney at around 7AM.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Make your timing of passing thru the Mixing Bowl in Northern VA area to be non rushhour (if there is such a thing...). Its literally wall to wall for miles, especially on evenings including weekends and this could add an hour or more to your drive.

Upvote 0
Well, my mapping software says to take I-81 To the PA Turnpike Northern Extension (I-476) to Philly, then hop on I-95 and get off of it in Florida on I-4 to Disney.

I disagree. Coming out of 'Cuse you're looking at hitting Baltimore right at the beginning of rush hour, and even worse, having to deal with the DC Beltway. If you want a much smoother ride (and by smooth, I mean traffic, not roadways), I'd suggest taking I-81 to I-77 in southern Virginia and taking that to and through Charlotte to South Carolina, and hopping on I-26 to I-95 and continuing on down.

Believe me, staying away from the East Coast Megalopolis is going to save you a bunch of head aches.

Time comparison. First option: 20 hrs, 16 minutes. Second option: 21 hrs, 4 mins.

And if you have a laptop, I'd recommend picking up Microsoft Streets and Trips with the GPS transponder for your trip. It's awesome. I use it for work all the time.

Cheers,

Dave

I agree, we live outside of Buffalo and thats the route we usually take, Erie Pa- Morgantown W. Virginia-Beckley W Virginia ( stop at Tamarack to eat and shop!! An awesome artisan center) Watch out for speed traps in Sommersville! -Charlotte ect...( from the1-77 that is)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom