Driving from NY to WDW

BRER DAD

Did a search and found nothing........We usally fly but are going to drive down this year. The kids are very excited to drive. We are leaving from Syracuse NY and would like to leave AUG. 21 and arrive on AUG. 23. Any help on best route to take, stops along the way, ect. would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for all your help.:wave:

yankspy

I have done this drive a few times from the city. The only suggestion I can give you is to take advantage of all of the loops that go around the major cities. I know in baltimore you can bypass the Ft. Mchenry tunnel by taking 895. There is one in Jacksonville as well but the number is escaping me. Anyone? These loops are helpful because there is usually some traffic in the cities.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

Did a search and found nothing........We usally fly but are going to drive down this year. The kids are very excited to drive. We are leaving from Syracuse NY and would like to leave AUG. 21 and arrive on AUG. 23. Any help on best route to take, stops along the way, ect. would be greatly appreciated. Thanx for all your help.:wave:

Well, my mapping software says to take I-81 To the PA Turnpike Northern Extension (I-476) to Philly, then hop on I-95 and get off of it in Florida on I-4 to Disney.

I disagree. Coming out of 'Cuse you're looking at hitting Baltimore right at the beginning of rush hour, and even worse, having to deal with the DC Beltway. If you want a much smoother ride (and by smooth, I mean traffic, not roadways), I'd suggest taking I-81 to I-77 in southern Virginia and taking that to and through Charlotte to South Carolina, and hopping on I-26 to I-95 and continuing on down.

Believe me, staying away from the East Coast Megalopolis is going to save you a bunch of head aches.

Time comparison. First option: 20 hrs, 16 minutes. Second option: 21 hrs, 4 mins.

And if you have a laptop, I'd recommend picking up Microsoft Streets and Trips with the GPS transponder for your trip. It's awesome. I use it for work all the time.

Cheers,

Dave

Upvote 0

Tomcat47

If you got AAA order a tripticket. With it you get the best route including loops around major cities. Info books about each area of the East Coast which includes info on hotels and other points of interest. Trip tickets will also mark rest stops , welcome centers , tolls and areas under construction. We have driven to and from WDW from Boston area and have used the trip ticket everytime. If you don't have AAA best way to I-95 head south and take a right onto I-4 near Daytona Raceway and go till you see Disney signs lol. Could also just invest in a Garmen or Tom-Tom those are great devices also.

Upvote 0

yankspy

I forgot to add that make sure you disconnect and put in your trunk a radar detector if you have one in Virginia. They are illegal here and if they find one in your car they will give you a fine. I say put it in your trunk because chances are that they will not search your trunk and even if they do they will not be as harsh because it is not like you can use it from there.

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

Original Poster
I have a garmin, but am still new at it. I would hate to have it take me off course (especially with my wife in the car). I was thinking about leaving around 9 p.m. to try to avoid as much traffic as possible. Thanx for all your advice!!

Upvote 0

Burning Metal

We'll be leaving from the NYC area on August 6th. My wife gets out of work at 4:00pm and I'm picking her up and we're hitting the road right from there. We'll be driving all night so traffic shouldn't be much of a problem. We'll just stay on 95 South the whole way until we hit I-4 near Daytona Beach. We've done this trip in the past and if you have good weather (no rain!) and there's no accidents slowing traffic or anything you can make it in about 18 - 20 hrs of straight through driving..

Upvote 0

Alztybrn

If you want a much smoother ride (and by smooth, I mean traffic, not roadways), I'd suggest taking I-81 to I-77 in southern Virginia and taking that to and through Charlotte to South Carolina, and hopping on I-26 to I-95 and continuing on down.

Believe me, staying away from the East Coast Megalopolis is going to save you a bunch of head aches.

Time comparison. First option: 20 hrs, 16 minutes. Second option: 21 hrs, 4 mins.

Dave

I want to agree with Dave. I grew up outside of Syracuse, went this way many times. Now I live in Southern VA and also go by way of Charlotte as well. Is the quickest, easiest way to get there.

I can not emphasize enough...avoid Baltimore/DC! You will never get through there quickly unless you are traveling at 3 am.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

I have a garmin, but am still new at it. I would hate to have it take me off course (especially with my wife in the car). I was thinking about leaving around 9 p.m. to try to avoid as much traffic as possible. Thanx for all your advice!!

Dude, play around with your Garmin. It'll be able to tell you everything, where to get gasahol and food and the like. If you're leaving late night, be sure to get a lot of sleep before hand, and stock up on Red Bull and Mountain Dew Amp. Coffee is hot when you spill it.

If you're planning on splitting the trip up, Charlotte would be a good point to shoot for. If you can get on the south side of Charlotte to stay, you have a quick hop, skip, and long drive to Orlando. Good luck and have a good trip.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

I want to agree with Dave. I grew up outside of Syracuse, went this way many times. Now I live in Southern VA and also go by way of Charlotte as well. Is the quickest, easiest way to get there.

I can not emphasize enough...avoid Baltimore/DC! You will never get through there quickly unless you are traveling at 3 am.

Dude! That's when morning rush hour begins! It's more like 2 am!:wave:

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

Original Poster
Dude, play around with your Garmin. It'll be able to tell you everything, where to get gasahol and food and the like. If you're leaving late night, be sure to get a lot of sleep before hand, and stock up on Red Bull and Mountain Dew Amp. Coffee is hot when you spill it.

If you're planning on splitting the trip up, Charlotte would be a good point to shoot for. If you can get on the south side of Charlotte to stay, you have a quick hop, skip, and long drive to Orlando. Good luck and have a good trip.

Thanx, was checking out the Garmin as we speak and it shows directions for POR!! I just hope its right. Im going to take your way but use the Garmin also. As far as staying up late, I work the night shift, 3 a.m. is my prime time!!! Thanx for all your help!

-JOHN

Upvote 0

Wilt Dasney

I have done this drive a few times from the city. The only suggestion I can give you is to take advantage of all of the loops that go around the major cities. I know in baltimore you can bypass the Ft. Mchenry tunnel by taking 895. There is one in Jacksonville as well but the number is escaping me. Anyone? These loops are helpful because there is usually some traffic in the cities.
The Jacksonville bypass is I-295. I've usually taken that route unless I'm going through late at night.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

Thanx, was checking out the Garmin as we speak and it shows directions for POR!! I just hope its right. Im going to take your way but use the Garmin also. As far as staying up late, I work the night shift, 3 a.m. is my prime time!!! Thanx for all your help!

-JOHN

Well then I'm sure you're a friend of the Red Bull, then!

As for using your Garmin, Once you get to Winchester-ish, you're garmin should automatically recalculate to go down 81 to 77. If not, Interstate driving is really where you need the Garmin, It's for getting from POR to I-Drive to pick up snacks!

-Dave

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

Original Poster
Any advice on places to stop or stay for the night? When I was a kid we would stop at south of the border, but my cousins say dont wast your time....its not like it used to be.

Upvote 0

jasondiff

As for the route, I drive from PA and plan it to miss rush hour in Baltimore/DC, so I take I-95 through Baltimore (Ft. McHenry Tunnel), then 495 beltway around DC, then 295 beltway around Richmond. Around Jacksonville there's a 295 beltway around the west side but it's a lot more miles. Staying on I-95 through town isn't too bad, even at 6pm. But the next trip I'm planning on taking the 9A route around to the east. It's not a beltway yet as they are just finishing it but it's highway for almost all of it.

I've stayed overnight in Rocky Mount, NC, and I've also heard good things about Florence, SC and Lumberton, NC. Stop and visit South of the Border if you want, it's worth seeing if you've never been there. Just don't stay there.

As for the GPS - If you've got a route mapped out for yourself, then don't follow what the GPS tells you - it may not route you around cities on beltways. I always use my GPS so I know where I am, know when the enxt exit or rest stop is, know how many miles to my destination, etc. But unless I'm lost or don't have a route planned, I ignore its directions. It can be very handy when you have to go around an accident or traffic on unknown roads.

Upvote 0

Alztybrn

Any advice on places to stop or stay for the night? When I was a kid we would stop at south of the border, but my cousins say dont wast your time....its not like it used to be.

I would shoot at staying maybe abound Christiansburg (west of Roanoke, VA). That from Syracuse will be around 9 1/2 hours from Syracuse, and give you around 11-12 the next day.

Or you can drive further and check out Statesville or Charlotte, NC and give you a shorter drive to Orlando the second day.

FYI...if you choose to go this way you will miss South of the Boarder. It is on 95 at the NC/SC border.

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

If you go through Charlotte, you're not going to be near South of the Border. As for places to stay, about 8 hours of driving gets you to Staunton, VA. 10 hours gets you to the Statesville, NC area. If you make it that far, I'd recommend continuing to the south side of Charlotte to avoid the next morning's traffic.

Upvote 0

cabihler

not sure if this was suggested

did not want to read through all of the other posts so pardon if this has been posted already....

when we lived in northern New Jersey we use to almost always drive sometimes stopping over night and other times driving straight through. since moving to the memphis area 15 years ago a lot of times i have driven but usually now fly. well i have taken the route 81 route from New Jersey to tennessee a lot and here is my thoughts/suggestions

with the above all said my proposal is for a route that i think you might like with places you probably have never seen before and it also gives you the choice of driving the distance in 2 to 3 days which seems like your time frame. From Syracuse take Route 81 South into Tennessee driving towards Knoxville, TN. about 20 miles BEFORE Knoxville you will see signs for Route 40 and you will want to take it WEST still going towards Knoxville. Around Knoxville you will see signs for Route 640 & Route 75 and you will want to follow them to get onto Route 75 South and this will take you down through Atlanta and eventually into Florida. Several hours into Florida, nearing Ocala, you will see signs for the Florida Turnpike which you will take to Lake Buena Vista.

the drive is pretty straight through if you look at it... Rt 81 South to Rt 40 West to Rt 75 South to Florida Turnpike. if you want to drive it in 2 days i suggest stopping somewhere between Bristol, TN and Knoxville and then onto Disney the next day. if 3 days is your thing then try to around Roanoke or Christiansburg, VA on day 1 and then on day 2 to between Macon and Valdosta, GA and then day 3 to Disney.

if you have the chance going or returning and if you are a Davy Crockett fam then i suggest you make a stop at the Crockett Family Tavern in Morristown, TN which is about 10 miles from the end of the Route 81 leg of the trip heading south. you will see signs for it about an hour past Bristol, TN. it is where Davy Crockett grew up as a young boy and where his father had a tavern/rest stop for trail drivers along the Abington route (a little bit of history there). you need to allow maybe 2 hours total time to drive off of rt 81 to get to the tavern, to tour it and then to get back to rt 81.:wave:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We're located at exit 16 on the NYSThruway and we make this trip twice a year for the past 5 years. We take our time and do it in 2 1/2 days.

Take 87 south to 287 (Mahwah/Suffern) take that to the end (start to finish) where it joins the NJ Turnpike (exit 10), this will keep you out of NYC.
Take the NJ Turnpike to the end at the Delaware memorial Bridge, merge to 95 South (watch for Philly traffic leaving the city - time it so you are not there for rush hour). Then it's 95 South to Virginia to 295 [East or South, can't remember how that goes] (it's well marked and you will avoid Richmond). Then back to 95 South and drive like hell to Daytona Then take I4 West and follow the signs to WDW.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

We've driven twice from jersey, it's a nice drive. Word of caution, try not to get gas in NC, I found it to be the most expensive, when we were paying 2.75 a gal. in jersey, it was about 3.50 in NC :eek: , also when you finally come up on south of the border, pass on by, it's a tourist trap, and will delay your trip by at least 2 hours even if you want to stop for a few minutes. Not worth it! other than that you should be able to make it in about 24 to 30 hours as long as you don't try to drive straight thru. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom