Driving Down

Norm The Skull

Well we are finaly starting in planing our trip to the World.

We want to arrive at Pop Century on Monday December 8th 2008.

We will be driving down from Ottawa Canada.
With some research I found out it should take 23 hrs of driving.
Since I don't drive my wife will be doing all the driving.

I tought about leaving on Friday December 5th in the afternoon.

Has anywone out there done a long road trip to the happiest place on Earth..

Any ideas on how to pass the time on the way there?
Good area's to stop to sleep?

I would love to hear yout ideas

Thanks again

maryszhi

have fun, but be careful with the gestures bc what something means to somebody may mean something else to another. on field trips with school kids would want the truckers honk there horns, a few times they used a wrong gesture and really pod the driver. the head nun went nutz. now thanks to the class clown we are no longer alowed to do it.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

If your a AAA member you can build your own triptik on-line and customize your route for the roads you want. (most map programs take you over the George Washington when the Tappen Zee Bridge is a better alternative).
you can then print it out along with maps showing rest areas ect. I just returned and it was worth having the AAA for the triptik alone.

Have you made the drive from Mass before?

Then hit 287 to the NJTurnpike to I95.

We always get a triptik even though we can drive down in ours sleep because they tell you where to expect construction delays.

Upvote 0

DisneyBuffinDE

We drive down from Wilmington Delaware. We always leave around 7-8 pm so the kids can sleep during the night. We actually drive down to Spring Hill, FL first. My aunt lives in Spring Hill so after the 14-16 hour drive, (It has never taken longer then 18) we can relax before heading over to Disney. I always say I feel bad for people who drive down and go straight to Disney after the long drive. We have a DVD player and mostly only stop for bathroom breaks. We bring food to make it during the night and always eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel. They have the best breakfast. Last time we drove it took 14 hours down and 16 back.

Upvote 0

nankeldisney821

If your a AAA member you can build your own triptik on-line and customize your route for the roads you want. (most map programs take you over the George Washington when the Tappen Zee Bridge is a better alternative).
you can then print it out along with maps showing rest areas ect. I just returned and it was worth having the AAA for the triptik alone.

Have you made the drive from Mass before?

I always get the triptix and I have them now. It is just hard sometimes to figure our what areas are safer than others and also if the hotels are right off the highway. Thanks.

Yes, I have made the drive before. I have done it in 20 hrs and also 28 hrs (that trip...we had to stop too many times for the others in the car!) Actually, I meant to answer the post and I forgot...we just pass the time with MANY cd's that I make, try to play some games but those don't last too long and also, stop as often as you need to so you don't get too tired.

Upvote 0

TheKeeler7

I always get the triptix and I have them now. It is just hard sometimes to figure our what areas are safer than others and also if the hotels are right off the highway. Thanks.

Yes, I have made the drive before. I have done it in 20 hrs and also 28 hrs (that trip...we had to stop too many times for the others in the car!) Actually, I meant to answer the post and I forgot...we just pass the time with MANY cd's that I make, try to play some games but those don't last too long and also, stop as often as you need to so you don't get too tired.

I Agree we stayed at a Red Roof Inn in Fayetteville that we loved and a Howard Johnson's in Richmond that was AWFUL.

Upvote 0

nankeldisney821

The website is:

http://www.i95exitguide.com/

There is also a book my RV friends use called "The Next Exit" As the name implies it tells you what services are available at the next exit. It covers all Interstates, not just I95.

http://www.thenextexit.com/

That website is AMAZING!! I got so much information from it (the first one)! Thank you so much...it was a huge help. I am going to check out the other one now. Thanks again!!:)

Upvote 0

elizs77

As a North Carolinian, please do not let the I-95 corridor influcence your opinion of our state! :) In any event, I would recommend NOT stopping at South of the Border right across the state line in Dillon, SC. It's been around forever it seems, and it's quite a seedy little tourist trap.

Upvote 0

TheKeeler7

As a North Carolinian, please do not let the I-95 corridor influcence your opinion of our state! :) In any event, I would recommend NOT stopping at South of the Border right across the state line in Dillon, SC. It's been around forever it seems, and it's quite a seedy little tourist trap.

I'll second that opion. We used to stop to have lunch when I was a kid, But it has really become a place I would not want to have my kids running around.
The only redeeming quality is the sometimes entertaining billboards.

Upvote 0

SpykeYs

Hi there,

I live in Gatineau (which is 5 minutes from ottawa) and I drove to Disney World 3 times. From Ottawa, you can do it in 22hrs with problems. It depends tho if you have to stop every hour to ______! :)

;)

Upvote 0

brisem

It's a 20 hour drive from Connecticut for us. We usually lev\ave around 9p and drive straight thru to get there around 5p. Definitely a fast pass (mass lets you get one even if you're not a resident) That'll save you a hour or two, depending on traffic.

Upvote 0

AlishaMisha

It's a 20 hour drive from Connecticut for us. We usually lev\ave around 9p and drive straight thru to get there around 5p. Definitely a fast pass (mass lets you get one even if you're not a resident) That'll save you a hour or two, depending on traffic.

Also Maine does as well...like anyone cares :lookaroun

:king: ~Leash

Upvote 0

mrerk

Premium Member

My BIL (who lives in MA) got his FastLane/EZ Pass from either NY or NJ because they don't (or didn't at the time) charge a deposit for it. MA charges like $25 for a deposit on the transponder.

Upvote 0

jonabyte

It takes about 23 hours for us from Kitchener (I-75), not sure which route you plan on taking, expect a little longer with traffic, etc.
We go every year and drive every year. I have done I-95 twice and it seems quicker, maybe because of less traffic and larger cities to contend with but
I-75 has more stops and facilities available.
We usually don't book rooms ahead so we can play it by ear, I don't ever recall a problem finding a decent hotel room by not booking.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Texas84

Make sure you take I-475 around Macon, GA, NOT I-75 or you're going downtown. And, yeah, south Macon does get a bit smelly. The Zebulon exit on 475 has just about everything you need for any stop.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

You HAVE to stop there! :lol:

Seedy tourist trap, but its part of the experience of driving to Florida!

:sohappy:

Upvote 0

wvdisneyfamily

When driving down try to buy gas in South Carolina. It is definitely cheaper. I don't know what route you are taking or what states you will pass through, but avoid buying gas in West Virginia. It is VERY expensive. We also fill up in Georgia before we cross into Florida. Gas is less expensive in Georgia.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Kind of like the NJ Turnpike :rolleyes:

......but Pedro said to stop....

Upvote 0

elizs77

Okay, so yeah, Pedro and his never ending signs may entice you to go. I've stopped a few times on my way to the beach in SC. I guess I just wouldn't want to stay in Pedro's hotel!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom