Drive or fly to DW? Need advice!

Dumbomom

Staying at Poly for a week in June. Should we drive for 20 hours and have our car to get places, or fly (3 hours) and worry about bus times? Thoughts?

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Depends on your comfort on driving. I drove 3 times 14 hours each time this year straight through alone. I love driving, if you get bored easily, flying might be a better option. It also depends on if you plan on stopping part way through or not because that will add time as well.

Upvote 0

Dumbomom

Original Poster
Lol! Tim! I love driving, I just heard there are long lines to get on buses to the parks. Wondering if anyone has waited an hour with social distancing to get on a bus?

Upvote 0

Dumbomom

Original Poster
Depends on your comfort on driving. I drove 3 times 14 hours each time this year straight through alone. I love driving, if you get bored easily, flying might be a better option. It also depends on if you plan on stopping part way through or not because that will add time as well.
I love driving, but with no monorail to Epcot and only buses from Poly to other parks, wondering if there are long lines to get on buses and if having a car would be a smarter choice this time.

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

We fly and build the cost of ride share services into our budget.
And when it's convenient use the varying forms of Disney transportation.
This trip coming up in Oct. may be the exception regarding ride share because we will have a 10 month old with us.

Upvote 0

Penny’s Dad

We stayed at the Poly two weeks ago and had no problems with the buses. There is low capacity at the Poly with only the DVC rooms open. We rode the bus twice to Epcot, twice to Animal Kingdom and once to Hollywood Studios. The wait times were usually 10 to 15 minutes, and plenty of room on the buses.

Upvote 0

Dumbomom

Original Poster
Drive.
Nothing like being in a van for 20 hours with your family!

BTW, Jennnnnnyyyyyyy!
Or yours😂
We stayed at the Poly two weeks ago and had no problems with the buses. There is low capacity at the Poly with only the DVC rooms open. We rode the bus twice to Epcot, twice to Animal Kingdom and once to Hollywood Studios. The wait times were usually 10 to 15 minutes, and plenty of room on the buses.
awesome! Thanks for the info. I’ve always stay at the Poly and we are looking forward to less people at the pool. Plus walking to the transportation center is a breeze.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
We drive for many reasons and love having our car to explore the area not just stay in the bubble. If you drive with kids snacks, movies and/or video games;)

Upvote 0

Nickp1983

We drive but we are only 8 hours away.
We still use the buses but the reason we drive (besides the fact we bring our dogs down with us to stay at best friends) is its nice having a car down there for emergencies. Also... booze runs.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

Staying at Poly for a week in June. Should we drive for 20 hours and have our car to get places, or fly (3 hours) and worry about bus times? Thoughts?
Can't speak for you, but I used to drive from Vermont every trip and now from North Carolina. I have flown but by the time I got the car, drove to the parks or hotels, I had used up a lot of that saved time plus a major batch of cash to get there . Whenever I am faced with that decision I always hit the road jack. Getting there is as much fun for me as the being there. I am also an explorer. I like lots of things and WDW is just one of those things.

There is so much to see in the central Florida area that I love to just take a day off to rest my feet and look around. I also find it nice to not wait in long lines only to get on a bus loaded with sweaty, tired people. I like taking the trams to the parking lots, sit in my car with the AC blowing on me constantly and then just driving straight to my resort or hotel and relaxing. Sure it is more work to have to drive, but I love seeing places that aren't home. It's part of the adventure for me.

Upvote 0

pixie225

We flew down with a really cheap airfare, rented a car at the airport ($350 for the week- more than we have ever paid but later heard that was a great price - and they gave us a free upgrade to a Jeep Cherokee) and loved the convenience of driving to Epcot, HS, AK, DS. We walked to MK because we stayed at the Contemporary. (you have the monorail/boats to MK)

Upvote 0

Heppenheimer

The drives to Florida from the northeast loom very large in my childhood memories. Obviously, Disney World itself was the icing on the cake, but if you have kids, a long car trip can be an adventure... the good kind... but the key is to make frequent overnight stops.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
This is a couple of weeks old, so hopefully the problem has been resolved ;

Just something to keep in minds if you plan on flying and renting a car. But people who drove during the past week may have had difficulty getting any gas.

Sometimes it just feels like the world is out to get us.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom