Drive or fly to DW? Need advice!

Dumbomom

Staying at Poly for a week in June. Should we drive for 20 hours and have our car to get places, or fly (3 hours) and worry about bus times? Thoughts?

Goofyernmost

On our first trip to WDW after getting on I-4 we got behind and eventually passed a huge motor home that was stiff hitching a Cadillac convertable with Pennsylvania plates number "1". Back in 83 you could possibly have purchased your own hotel for less than what that setup must have cost.

Upvote 0

Heppenheimer

I don't remember any toll booths in Richmond. The last toll booths I remember heading south were the ones on the Jersey Turnpike and perhaps some on the Deleware Bridge and the tunnel in Baltimore. But It has been years since I stopped going that way and bypassed it all by going through Pennsylvania.
I'm pretty sure the Richmond tolls are now either gone or consolidated. But they were brutal in the 80s. On a day with heavy traffic, they would slow your trip along I-95 to a crawl.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

I don't remember any toll booths in Richmond. The last toll booths I remember heading south were the ones on the Jersey Turnpike and perhaps some on the Deleware Bridge and the tunnel in Baltimore. But It has been years since I stopped going that way and bypassed it all by going through Pennsylvania.
The toll booths on I-95 going to FL stop at the tunnel in Baltimore. Then it is a long drive to WDW , I-95 to I-4 to WDW. Avoid Richmond and take the 295 loop to Rocky Mount NC and continue on I95 but it is a huge speed trap on 295.

Upvote 0

Goofyernmost

The toll booths on I-95 going to FL stop at the tunnel in Baltimore. Then it is a long drive to WDW , I-95 to I-4 to WDW. Avoid Richmond and take the 295 loop to Rocky Mount NC and continue on I95 but it is a huge speed trap on 295.
I found that since they opened 295 that traveling through Richmond is easy. I love that route especially when the highway almost touches some of the downtown buildings. The one bypass that I do take because I like it better is the one around Jacksonville to the east. Directly through Jacksonville on 95 was always interesting but also an exercise in repeated brake usage.

Upvote 0
We typically drive for our summer trips to disney and fly for the Disney trips we take during the school year. During the summer we don't have to worry about pulling kids out of school. This summer's trip we are taking a side trip to Savannah GA on the way home. We have two kids and we drive from NJ. We actually have fun stopping at places along the way and playing games in the car. Kids still think any night in a hotel is cool. It may not be for everyone but we enjoy doing it once a year. Also nice to have a car to run to Walmart and pickup anything we've forgotten and drinks snacks for the room.

Upvote 0

tpoly88

rent a car at the airport?
very hard to Rent a car right now and very expensive. Id fly as 20hrs is a long punishing drive, i did the 16hr from NJ a couple times and wanted to jump out of the car a t 70mph to end it all! transportation at Disney is fine, monorail running to MK which at the Poly get from the TTS. no monorail yet to epcot but buses or rideshare is easy. Boats are running between epcot and HS (skyliner is fun but slow going there).

Upvote 0

Bpmorley

very hard to Rent a car right now and very expensive. Id fly as 20hrs is a long punishing drive, i did the 16hr from NJ a couple times and wanted to jump out of the car a t 70mph to end it all! transportation at Disney is fine, monorail running to MK which at the Poly get from the TTS. no monorail yet to epcot but buses or rideshare is easy. Boats are running between epcot and HS (skyliner is fun but slow going there).
Yes the prices are insane. In 3 vacations to Florida this year we spent more on cars then the last decade combined

Upvote 0

Dad 2 M & M

The rental market is a LITTLE better now than a few weeks back.

Just checked for next Monday - Friday and the cheapest was $250 and change. A far cry from sub $10 a day prices of the past.

Disney Transportation ..... can decent but brutal at times!

The MK is the outlier as it forces you to use some sort f Disney Transportation...unless you are staying the Contemporary.
Monorail from TTC can be backed up and the Ferry is usually a better option getting to the Park.....leaving the Park, sometimes it's easier to walk to the Contemporary and ride from there to the TTC.

Water Taxis are fine to get from DHS to Epcot, but walking is another option....now that I ponder, is the walkway currently open? The issue with the Water Taxis is the rest of the Transportation of the Epcot BLVD Resorts......shared busing to every other Park!

We are lucky to live within an 8 hour drive and it has been challenging at times, but no thoughts of any stunt show auditions......

Upvote 0

Bpmorley

The rental market is a LITTLE better now than a few weeks back.

Just checked for next Monday - Friday and the cheapest was $250 and change. A far cry from sub $10 a day prices of the past.

Disney Transportation ..... can decent but brutal at times!

The MK is the outlier as it forces you to use some sort f Disney Transportation...unless you are staying the Contemporary.
Monorail from TTC can be backed up and the Ferry is usually a better option getting to the Park.....leaving the Park, sometimes it's easier to walk to the Contemporary and ride from there to the TTC.

Water Taxis are fine to get from DHS to Epcot, but walking is another option....now that I ponder, is the walkway currently open? The issue with the Water Taxis is the rest of the Transportation of the Epcot BLVD Resorts......shared busing to every other Park!

We are lucky to live within an 8 hour drive and it has been challenging at times, but no thoughts of any stunt show auditions......
Thats good to know. We are looking at August now. I don't want to spend another thousand

Upvote 0

LaughingGravy

My tolerance for airport security, the time involved (pretty much using a full day at each end for travel, plus a taxi or inconveniencing someone else to drop us off or the hassle of long term parking the car), what you can bring on the plane vs pack in a suitcase, luggage fees, wait for the suitcase at both ends, plus the tiny coach seats (I'm a little above average height, but not by much) and being so close to other people (and that was before the pandemic) has really driven me from commercial aviation unless absolutely required for business travel. My own car means my own music and temperature without requiring noise cancelling headsets, the ability to stop at a rest stop to get some exercise and a roomy bathroom facility, and not have to pay for a rental car upon arrival.
A trip to California would be the exception to that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RScottyL

Staying at Poly for a week in June. Should we drive for 20 hours and have our car to get places, or fly (3 hours) and worry about bus times? Thoughts?

I say that it would depend on your goal!

Money - obviously check the pricing of airline tickets for the amount of people in your party and compare it to the cost of gas to get to that destination by driving in your car. If you have a fuel efficient car, then it might be better to drive than fly.

Time - the plane will win in this decision, as it will take less time. If you drive, you may need to take an extra day off from work just for the drive.

vehicle availability - if you take your car, then you can pretty much get around anywhere, such as if you want to go to the store or something. If you are planning on staying on Disney property and use their transportation and will not need anything else, the car would not be needed! With the car, you would probably be charged for parking at the resort and at the parks, so check that out and compare pricing!

Upvote 0

jloucks

Soo, lots of factors here.

How long is the drive?
Do you need a car at destination?
How valuable is your time?
Do you like driving?

So, for me, I commute a gut-wrenching 10+ hours a week through some of the most selfish drivers there are. I am super burned out on driving. I told my wife and kids that any destination that takes over 5 hours to reach, I am out, unless I can fly or take a boat. ...or take a train (that was fun).

On top of that, my time is very valuable. Actually, all of ours is, but I guess I am referring to specifically time off work. I only get a few weeks off work a year, so the clock starts ticking the second I punch out. The thought of spending 40 hours of my scarce and precious vacation driving to a from a destination is too icky for me.

Sidenote; One of the things I really liked about covid, was my commute, for the first time ever, was actually not too bad.

Upvote 0

Bpmorley

My tolerance for airport security, the time involved (pretty much using a full day at each end for travel, plus a taxi or inconveniencing someone else to drop us off or the hassle of long term parking the car), what you can bring on the plane vs pack in a suitcase, luggage fees, wait for the suitcase at both ends, plus the tiny coach seats (I'm a little above average height, but not by much) and being so close to other people (and that was before the pandemic) has really driven me from commercial aviation unless absolutely required for business travel. My own car means my own music and temperature without requiring noise cancelling headsets, the ability to stop at a rest stop to get some exercise and a roomy bathroom facility, and not have to pay for a rental car upon arrival.
A trip to California would be the exception to that.
I agree flying isn't fun anymore, but getting orlando in less then 5 hours over driving 16-20 is way better.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

Not that I’m gonna change anyone’s thoughts in the flying vs. driving debate but it’s not just 3 hrs flying.
So it takes like 1/2 hour to get to O’Hare.
And you’re suppose to be there at least 90 minutes before your flight, right?
Then 3 hours in the air, in coach, with the other cattle, if the flight leaves on time.
That’s a big IF at O’Hare.
Then I dunno about you, but I’ve never gotten off a plane when it lands.
Thats usually another 20-30 minutes to taxi to the gate and stampede off the plane.
Then what, like another 1/2 hour to get your bags?
And like maybe an hour to catch a ride to WDW?
Now I know that doesn’t add up to 20 hours but I will still drive.
Most of my miles will between 6pm and 6 am so we will avoid a lot of traffic.
The family sleeps and I drive.
And I’m planning on 19 hours, Dumbomom.

Upvote 0

Bpmorley

Not that I’m gonna change anyone’s thoughts in the flying vs. driving debate but it’s not just 3 hrs flying.
So it takes like 1/2 hour to get to O’Hare.
And you’re suppose to be there at least 90 minutes before your flight, right?
Then 3 hours in the air, in coach, with the other cattle, if the flight leaves on time.
That’s a big IF at O’Hare.
Then I dunno about you, but I’ve never gotten off a plane when it lands.
Thats usually another 20-30 minutes to taxi to the gate and stampede off the plane.
Then what, like another 1/2 hour to get your bags?
And like maybe an hour to catch a ride to WDW?
Now I know that doesn’t add up to 20 hours but I will still drive.
Most of my miles will between 6pm and 6 am so we will avoid a lot of traffic.
The family sleeps and I drive.
And I’m planning on 19 hours, Dumbomom.
Everyone can do as they like.
I leave exactly 1.5 hours before my flight.
15 minutes to PHL. Luckily just leave my car in front of the terminal. Someone takes the spare keys and puts it in the police lot. 15 minutes to get thru security thanks to global entry. By the time I get to the gate its about to board. 2-2.5 hours in the air. Off with carryon bags, pre checkin for the rental car and away we go. 6-6.5 hours and we are there. That includes the 2 hour nap on the plane. Way better than 18-24 hours driving

Upvote 0

yensid67

I live in PA and have driven and flown...Flying is more convenient if you want to get there the quickest way, but I would choose driving over flying! OR YOU CAN CHECK INTO AMTRAK AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN OFFER!!!! It would be different experience...you can take a passenger train or Auto Train so you could have your car!
If you want to save $ I would drive...I would suggest driving 4 hours at a time, take a 30 minute break to eat, grab a snack, gas up even though you don't need to, walk and stretch your legs. Then back on the road for another 4 hours and repeat. I do this and can drive straight thru overnight. This was you would have a car, but remember that you will have a per night charge to have your car on property!!!!!

Upvote 0

zero creativity

We usually drive. We have a family of 4. It costs only about a 1/3 of what it does to fly. We live about a half hour south of DC and with the time it takes to get to the airport, having to get to the airport early and waiting for magical express, it could take almost 10 hours. Driving is 12 and a half hours.

Upvote 0

John park hopper

There are no direct flights from Charleston to Orlando add up all the time getting to the airport layover for connecting flight getting to WDW from the airport it takes for longer than us driving as well as the cost. Flying coach is miserable the seats are crammed (I'm 6'2") not enjoyable at all. Driving is so much better my RAM truck is comfortable I can listen to what I want stop when I want and bring whatever I want. Flying now is like riding the Greyhound bus

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom