Drinking Around the World?

yensid67

My travel partner is thinking about doing the Drinking Around the World at Epcot! I am not a drinker, so this would be for her, but I would have to put the money out to go to the park as well! Has anyone done this RECENTLY!? Is it an official event at Epcot? I know there are shirts online you can buy. I see the Passport also...does Epcot offer this at ticket windows or Guest Services? I am assuming that if you drink in all 11 countries, this could take up most of the day!? Has anyone ever gotten drunk? Any tips on how to do this on our next trip!?
Also, we are planning 2 Days WDW...Animal and Magic Kingdoms...is it worth $82 MORE to go to 3 Day, plus the costs of the drinks...I am thinking it will become quite expensive just to DAtW and not worth the price tag! Thoughts!

katexo

AFAIK its not an official event, I cant imagine Disney sanctioning something like that.

If you drink in all the countries plan on most of the day. Its a lot of booze, even if they make them weak that day. Honestly, I wouldnt (and didnt) hit up all of the countries on my last trip because its just too much, alcohol and money wise. Id look at what drinks the pavillions have to offer in advance, set a limit on how many drinks youll have, pick ones that really sound good, and stick with that.

My biggest tip for drinking around the world though is this: dont go on mission space immediately after! :hungover: :hilarious:

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
A friend and I are planning on doing this in June. We will probably share some drinks and probably do about 1/2 the countries and then go back to the resort for a pool/nap break and then finish the rest when we go back at night. The sharing drinks might not work if you aren't participating in the drinking part. I would also say to plan on snacks and break it up with the World Showcase attractions so it isn't constant drinking.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Our party did it last March. The two kids 22 year olds drank in each country and the outpost, my sister and I shared drinks. Started around noon and last drink was 7:30. We ate snacks in China, Germany and France and pizza from the window in Italy. Purchased the passports on-line before the trip. Wasn’t a cheap day. This trip our challenge was all four parks in one day which I enjoyed more.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
So it really doesn't sound like it is a good idea to add the extra expenses just to do DAtW...$82 for park admission and then another $100+ for the drinks and snacks! Sounds like a 'WONDERFUL' day (sarcasm)

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

So it really doesn't sound like it is a good idea to add the extra expenses just to do DAtW...$82 for park admission and then another $100+ for the drinks and snacks! Sounds like a 'WONDERFUL' day (sarcasm)

If youre a drinker it can be a wonderful experience because you are having a variety of drinks you normally wouldnt have access to at home. The key is to do it at a slow pace over a long period of time and eat along the way. Theres lots of guests that do it to as a fun way to get sloshed, Disney doesnt sanction the event but its gotten to be very popular. Ive never been a drinker so for me the money being spent seems foolish. I'd rather snack around the world.

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

I do my own variation, typically during the Flower and Garden Festival... I make a list of what country/kiosk has what that's unique and special to the festival, check off those that I'm keen on trying - and then work my way around; checking off each one as completed. :D

For example, this is this year's (2018) checklist:

BeerChecklist.png

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Yeah, it sounds like I am going to try to steer my travel partner away from it! Doesn't seem worth the money, expensive because it will be during the Flower and Garden Festival, and most importantly it wouldn't be fun for me, I don't want to pay more money to see her drink! OK Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

macefamily

This is not a Disney program. It's something that I've done several times. We don't get every drink that every country offers,. We limit it to beer only, and it's one beer from each country. Yes, it gets pricey when most beers are at least $8. We start at Canada and work our way counter-clockwise around the world. By the time we get to Germany, it gets interesting.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I drink around the world a couple times each trip and have a plan. Never has failed me and it never leaves me too drunk and I enjoy it so much. Obviously I think it’s worth it if I do it so often.
My advice is to take your time. The countries open up at 11. Start then. Don’t wait until 4 and then try and drink 11 drinks in a few hrs. If you start at 11, it’s like a drink an hour. Drink water and eat while going around. We spend a while in each country while going around. Rally appreciating everything. Seeing the shows, etc. My other advice is to try and stay with beer all day if drinking beer. If doing cocktails stick with cocktails. Don’t bounce around. Try and stay in the same alcohol category.

Upvote 0

WDWMPrincess

By the time we get to Germany, it gets interesting.

Sounds like it could be fun. I was looking on Etsy for family t-shirts for our trip and ran across drinking across Epcot lanyards. There seemed to be several offerings but the one I clicked just had a check box for each country. They were sold in lots of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 14 and each had a miniature plastic beer mug attached. According to the description were aimed at ordering a tasting flight for the group to share in each country's area. They had a list of places offering tasting flights in Epcot. I think splitting a tasting flight of 4-5 beers among 10 seems much more reasonable than trying to drink 11 full drinks in one afternoon / evening. It would certainly be easier on the wallet.

Upvote 0

crxbrett

I'll probably get heat for suggesting this, but I usually split it up into 2 days/visits. Usually I do it at night as well since alcohol before Noon and me just don't mix. What I usually do is the first night get to the park at maybe 4p and have dinner and then walk over to the American Adv to begin the fun and then either head west and do those pavilions that night or east for the eastern pavilions that night. I usually shop and browse and take a ton of photos in the process as well as hitting the attractions. It ends up being a lot of fun and pretty relaxing.

I feel like 6 pavilions a night (Amer Adv twice) is manageable and I never get wasted. Just a nice, healthy buzz and a smile. If you choose to skip dinner before, definitely eat a snack every other drink you enjoy. An empty stomach and alcohol are never a good mix.

And water. Most important thing to do. Try to drink 8 oz of water after every alcoholic beverage you imbibe. Makes all the difference in the world.

Upvote 0

disneygeek90

I HATE IT that this is a "thing" now at Epcot. I go to WDW to spend time with my family, not dodge drunken idiots. Please go have a pub crawl somewhere else.
I actually completed this with my brother and parents. There's a way you can do this and still be responsible with your pacing.

It's not Disney sponsored, but buy some of these passports in advance and have a good time while you keep track! These are better than the shirts, imo. Obviously, you have to like drinking in order to make this worth your time and money.
https://adventuresforfunatics.com/Home2.aspx

Upvote 0

disneygeek90

I drink around the world a couple times each trip and have a plan. Never has failed me and it never leaves me too drunk and I enjoy it so much. Obviously I think it’s worth it if I do it so often.
My advice is to take your time. The countries open up at 11. Start then. Don’t wait until 4 and then try and drink 11 drinks in a few hrs. If you start at 11, it’s like a drink an hour. Drink water and eat while going around. We spend a while in each country while going around. Rally appreciating everything. Seeing the shows, etc. My other advice is to try and stay with beer all day if drinking beer. If doing cocktails stick with cocktails. Don’t bounce around. Try and stay in the same alcohol category.
Yep! A drink an hour, starting at as close to 11 as you can. That's how my family and I successfully completed once, and unsuccessfully completed another time because we went too hard too quick.

I actually mixed my content around a bit. I love beer, but 12 beers makes you incredibly full. A glass of wine and a mimosa really helped break it up.

Upvote 0

jimbo mack

I HATE IT that this is a "thing" now at Epcot. I go to WDW to spend time with my family, not dodge drunken idiots. Please go have a pub crawl somewhere else.

Completely agree; one of the things I used to love about Disney is that you didn’t have drunken fools gallivanting around the parks drawing attention to themselves.

Now when I go to Epcot I see adults actively trying to pretend their not inebriated but the glazed look over their sloshed faces and floppy smiles give it away. And the amount they drink in front of their children - not exactly great role modelling.

Bad decision taken by Disney but as it makes money for them, guest etiquette doesn’t matter.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Completely agree; one of the things I used to love about Disney is that you didn’t have drunken fools gallivanting around the parks drawing attention to themselves.

Now when I go to Epcot I see adults actively trying to pretend their not inebriated but the glazed look over their sloshed faces and floppy smiles give it away. And the amount they drink in front of their children - not exactly great role modelling.

Bad decision taken by Disney but as it makes money for them, guest etiquette doesn’t matter.
I know right?!?

People drinking that devil juice around children!!!! How dare they?!?!?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom