Drinking Around the World?

yensid67

My travel partner is thinking about doing the Drinking Around the World at Epcot! I am not a drinker, so this would be for her, but I would have to put the money out to go to the park as well! Has anyone done this RECENTLY!? Is it an official event at Epcot? I know there are shirts online you can buy. I see the Passport also...does Epcot offer this at ticket windows or Guest Services? I am assuming that if you drink in all 11 countries, this could take up most of the day!? Has anyone ever gotten drunk? Any tips on how to do this on our next trip!?
Also, we are planning 2 Days WDW...Animal and Magic Kingdoms...is it worth $82 MORE to go to 3 Day, plus the costs of the drinks...I am thinking it will become quite expensive just to DAtW and not worth the price tag! Thoughts!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I HATE IT that this is a "thing" now at Epcot. I go to WDW to spend time with my family, not dodge drunken idiots. Please go have a pub crawl somewhere else.

I know!!!! DisneyWorld is only for spending time with ones offspring!!! Why are these adults enjoying themselves????? No class!!!!

Upvote 0

jakeman

Disney world provide them the opportunity. It was fine before they introduced alcohol. Disney world got greedy $$$. Standards slipped.
I think that's been a thing since Epcot opened in 1982.

So it's been all downhill since then? I mean, I know the boards like to pick a time in the past where they think Disney started it's death spiral but that seems a bit aggressive.

As to the OP:
My travel partner is thinking about doing the Drinking Around the World at Epcot! I am not a drinker, so this would be for her, but I would have to put the money out to go to the park as well! Has anyone done this RECENTLY!? Is it an official event at Epcot? I know there are shirts online you can buy. I see the Passport also...does Epcot offer this at ticket windows or Guest Services? I am assuming that if you drink in all 11 countries, this could take up most of the day!? Has anyone ever gotten drunk? Any tips on how to do this on our next trip!?
Also, we are planning 2 Days WDW...Animal and Magic Kingdoms...is it worth $82 MORE to go to 3 Day, plus the costs of the drinks...I am thinking it will become quite expensive just to DAtW and not worth the price tag! Thoughts!
I enjoy a good adult beverage, or several, as much as the next guy. The drinks in general are nothing you can't get elsewhere. If you do go this route, you're doing it to drink in that environment. Nothing wrong with that, but if drinking is going to be the sole purpose, I can't say that I would feel that's admission money well spent.

Full day at Epcot with copious drinking, I'd be all for. Admission with the singular intent of spending 10 hours in World Showcase drinking, not sure I would do that.

Just my opinion. I hope whatever you guys decide you enjoy your time!

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

While I personally am not a fan of the whole drinking around the world popularity, I do enjoy a Grey Goose Slush or two in France. With that in mind part of me wishes that Disney would make it an official "event" and build a program around it. Maybe a punch card you can buy for $50 or $60 that would give you a 6oz pour of the drink of your choice in each land? Or bump it to $75 and you get a "I drank around the world" t-shirt when done. Right now you have people power drinking 20 to 24 oz beers or 12+ oz mixed drinks in each land and they are trashed in a couple of hours. Seeing people stumbling around at 2 in the afternoon is no fun and Epcot after 8 or 9 at night can be a bit interesting, although the people watching can be quite funny. Its going to be a thing whether Disney likes it or not so why not embrace it and try to maintain it a bit.

Upvote 0

ryguy

I guess if I were to do this I would pick one type beverage; either beer, wine, or alcohol. When I start mixing trouble surely is around the corner. I usually go to 2 or 3 countries to find beers that are hard to find on tap. I enjoy Boddingtons which is way better from the tap which is in England, Carlsburg and smithwicks you don't see a lot either. At least in my town.

Upvote 0

Dutch Inn '76

I know right?!?

People drinking that devil juice around children!!!! How dare they?!?!?

There's nothing wrong with responsibly having a drink around children. In fact, doing so is a good thing; demonstrating that one can have an alcoholic beverage or two and not be an idiot about it. "Drinking around the world" though is unhealthy and irresponsible - and lends itself to overindulgence - and eventually a drinking problem for many people. I'm glad that The Mouse doesn't encourage this behavior, and I wish they would more aggressively police drunkards in the World Showcase.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There's nothing wrong with responsibly having a drink around children. In fact, doing so is a good thing; demonstrating that one can have an alcoholic beverage or two and not be an idiot about it. "Drinking around the world" though is unhealthy and irresponsible - and lends itself to overindulgence - and eventually a drinking problem for many people. I'm glad that The Mouse doesn't encourage this behavior, and I wish they would more aggressively police drunkards in the World Showcase.
You think “drinking around the world” while on vacation leads to alcoholism? Jeepers.

Upvote 0

yensid67

Original Poster
Thanks for all your great advice, as usual! I think I will 'convince' my travel partner that it not worth the costs for 10 hours to drink in every country! I think she will be OK with that because she didn't even think about it, I mentioned it for her benefit...me and my big mouth! LOL Again Thanks and we are still counting down...only a few more days to go...402! LOL​

Upvote 0

OneofThree

"Drinking around the world" though is unhealthy and irresponsible. . .

This is really the whole point. I enjoy alcoholic beverages while at Disney and particularly appreciate a good single malt. I don't see anyone suggesting that there's a problem with doing so. Using some sort of ridiculous appeal the extreme (ie. "prohibition", or reference to certain moral ideals) is a cute way of justifying making a complete slob and disgrace of yourself in a place that we all know is frequented, has always been frequented by huge numbers of families with children. Still, there are places intended for this type of "good time", and they exist in great numbers everywhere. If you feel so compelled to get sloshed at a place with so much to offer so many, Disney World may not be the place for you after all. If you do wind up disgracing yourself at Epcot and put your BS on display in front of children, don't be surprised if at some point you find yourself being tossed into World Showcase Lagoon.

Upvote 0

jimbo mack

I think that's been a thing since Epcot opened in 1982.

So it's been all downhill since then? I mean, I know the boards like to pick a time in the past where they think Disney started it's death spiral but that seems a bit aggressive.

As to the OP:
I enjoy a good adult beverage, or several, as much as the next guy. The drinks in general are nothing you can't get elsewhere. If you do go this route, you're doing it to drink in that environment. Nothing wrong with that, but if drinking is going to be the sole purpose, I can't say that I would feel that's admission money well spent.

Full day at Epcot with copious drinking, I'd be all for. Admission with the singular intent of spending 10 hours in World Showcase drinking, not sure I would do that.

Just my opinion. I hope whatever you guys decide you enjoy your time!

I didn’t say a death spiral had started and it does not stop me from going. Disney has increased alcohol options in recent times for guests at Epcot for income purposes only and not for the guest experience. As long as people can handle their copious amounts of liver poison it doesn’t bother me; it’s tacky when those can’t handle it or go overboard and it’s cringeworthy for other guests to have to witness.. and intimidating for small children I should imagine.

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
What I said is that overindulgence in alcohol leads to a drinking problem for many people. This is a fact.

You must be a journalist, the way you twist my words...
You made one continuous statement. I didn't twist anything.

"Drinking around the world" though is unhealthy and irresponsible - and lends itself to overindulgence - and eventually a drinking problem for many people.

These are your unedited words.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom