Dragon animatronic at Animal Kingdom

Soarin' Over Pgh

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet but at around 1:40 the cave fire comes out, pretty cool since I never witnessed it myself

I don't think this ride exists anymore...let alone that dragon effect. Cute, though. Still wish we got a dragon in AK.

thanks for posting- and welcome to the forums. Maybe check out some of our newer threads?

Cmdr_Crimson

Didn't there used to be an animatronic somewhere on that ride?

Just one...Aladar after we "saved him" he made his way to the river where you could see him....

Unfortunately, After the River Tours ended the AA Exoskeleton became a prop on the backlot tour at DLP....
Iguanodon+DSP.jpg

I'm sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I have a question for anyone who knows the answer. I never rode the Discovery Water Taxis as far as I know (I was 1 when AK opened), but I have a very vivid memory of standing on the bridge to Camp Minnie-Mickey and seeing the fireball come out of the cave several years after the boats stopped operating. When was the latest that effect was operating? I know that I saw it, and I was probably around 10 years old (2007-ish) or possibly even older.

Cmdr_Crimson

I'm sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I have a question for anyone who knows the answer. I never rode the Discovery Water Taxis as far as I know (I was 1 when AK opened), but I have a very vivid memory of standing on the bridge to Camp Minnie-Mickey and seeing the fireball come out of the cave several years after the boats stopped operating. When was the latest that effect was operating? I know that I saw it, and I was probably around 10 years old (2007-ish) or possibly even older.
Not sure exactly...However now with Pandora open you can actually walk right over to the Dragon Cave..If you take the pathway from the Harambe Theater and head towards Pandora You will see the former cave on your left...and you can walk right on top of it..If the river isn't looking too murky you can see the original foundation where the said dragon AA was to be..

VicariousCorpse

The only thing I could find mentioning the effect working post-closure of the river boats was this post from 2002 asking if it still could be seen operating, as they previously saw in 2000 that it was still working from the bridge. I find it weird that they would continue the flames post closure when they could barely get them to work when the ride was open.

WDWBasenji

I can confirm this. I went to a resort guest preview of the park on early April of 1998. Fire would shoot out of the rock (you can still see the rock form the bridge into Camp Minnie Mickey) but there was no anamatronic. The is a stone structure that sort of looks like a dragon/aligator that is still there.
Can confirm, was in park in April 1998 annual pass holder preview, fire and smoke, saw it from the boat.

NiarrNDisney

I believe the only effects that continued to be used after the Discovery River boats attraction closed was the "geysers" in Africa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom