Dragon animatronic at Animal Kingdom

Joey Bruno

Original Poster
Now before you go telling me that the Beastly Kingdom topic has been posted many times before, hear me out. My family and I went to AK shortly after opening (both of my parents work at WDW). I was only about 5 years old at the time so these memories are very fuzzy, but I remember there was an area of the park where you walked around a body of water with the dragon's cave in the middle of it. I remember that the cave occasionally shot out fire and I DISTINCTLY remember an animatronic dragon popping his head out every so often and talking. The dragon itself never breathed fire, only after he went back in the cave. I've tried researching the internet high and low for pictures of this, but I've only found the dragon's cave with no dragon, some people saying a dragon animatronic was in the works but it was never made. So am I thinking of something else? Or did this only exist for an extremely short period of time and I was lucky enough to see it?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fire shooting out? Yes.
Animatronic in the cave? Nope.
I can confirm this. I went to a resort guest preview of the park on early April of 1998. Fire would shoot out of the rock (you can still see the rock form the bridge into Camp Minnie Mickey) but there was no anamatronic. The is a stone structure that sort of looks like a dragon/aligator that is still there.

Lee

Adventurer
I actually just talked to my dad about it. He said that there definitely was SOMETHING inside the cave, maybe not an animatronic, but some sort of monster. And we went the very first day AK opened.
The only thing in that cave was the flame-throwing apparatus.

There was an AA planned, but it was never installed.
Never even got built.

There were some dead knights....

Lee

Adventurer
Sure...but there was no fire. I think RandomPrincess is right, your young mind filled in the blank.
iggy.large.jpeg

JIMINYCR

Blasts of fire would be spewed from a cave at the edge of the water, in Camp Minnie-Mickey. Burnt suits of armor were just outside the cave entrance, and when boats passed this scene in the now-closed Discovery River Boats attraction, guests were told by the boat's captain that the fire was created by a fire-breathing dragon inside the cave. This scene was visible from Discovery River Boats attraction and the Camp Minnie-Mickey bridge for several years.

I always visit the area to view the absent Dragons cave to just look and dream what should have been. The areas getting more and more overgrown like they want us to forget what was planned there.:(

Joey Bruno

Original Poster
Blasts of fire would be spewed from a cave at the edge of the water, in Camp Minnie-Mickey. Burnt suits of armor were just outside the cave entrance, and when boats passed this scene in the now-closed Discovery River Boats attraction, guests were told by the boat's captain that the fire was created by a fire-breathing dragon inside the cave. This scene was visible from Discovery River Boats attraction and the Camp Minnie-Mickey bridge for several years.

I always visit the area to view the absent Dragons cave to just look and dream what should have been. The areas getting more and more overgrown like they want us to forget what was planned there.:(
Yeah...it's funny how many times I've been to AK since then and never thought about it. I'd love for them to maybe revisit the idea of a Beastly Kingdom since they obviously haven't forgotten about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom