Dr. Seuss Monorail

woofboy111

Original Poster
Thanks for the complements on my website...Sorry so much of it is missing. I was really into it and then everything got wiped out somehow, and I never really redid it.

I'll probably have the pictures either this weekend or next weekend (I try to alternate betewwn Universal and Islands of Adventures, so I should have them soon.

kaos

Sorry to surface such an old thread, but I have never been to IoA. I like all sorts of monorail and peoplemover types of attractions. Is that what this is? I looked on a map, and is this the attraction with the track that looks to run through everything??

The_CEO

Originally posted by kaos
Sorry to surface such an old thread, but I have never been to IoA. I like all sorts of monorail and peoplemover types of attractions. Is that what this is? I looked on a map, and is this the attraction with the track that looks to run through everything??

yes Its in seuss landing and is not in operation :( Would of been a fun ride..

Sketch105

There are lots of other rumours about it. Some say the company manufacturing the ride parts went bankrupt and closed down. Some people say universal doesn't want to spend money on such a low capacity attraction.

The whole idea that the ride wasn't finished because there's not walkway is silly. They design these rides to be pretty efficient. And when they do breakdown, they have ways of bringing people back to the station. What would they do if the Hulk train broke down at the top of the loop? or how bout the sea dragon or cobra roll over the lake? Theres no stairs there. Did that stop them from opening Hulk? No. They don't worry about those things, because they happen on a very occasional basis, and thats when they call out the calvary, the firetrucks, etc. I'm sure they have many ways of pulling the cars back to the station if anything goes wrong, besides having people walk the track. Even if it does create inconvenience, they eventually find a way, though building a walkway does seem like a good idea in the first place. I'd rather see that then have them tear it down.

kaos

Does anyone have any pics of this???

I've never been, and this was one of the attractions that I wanted to see.

RobFL

Account Suspended
It doesn't function because of a desing flaw. Universal sued the company which designed the ride because of this.

The vehicles can't make it up the tiny inclines in the track and get stopped and that in addition to inability to safely evacuated quickly incase of an emergency (like a fire in Suess Landing) they chose not to open the ride.

Several of the undustries best companies were hired to consult on a revamped design and possible solution, such as Orlando based ITEC (done some very nice work) and no solution has been found yet.

-Rob

jmarc63

Originally posted by woofboy111

That's not true, because they send empty cars around every so often...

Consider this. The cars are running empty.Only the weight of the train is being carried. If you add people you add aditional weight being in the multiples of 100 LBS. after a certain weight , even as little as 10 additional LBS could cause the motors to strain and not make it up the incline.

RobFL

Account Suspended
Mostly it's an inclimate weather type problem, and seemed fixable - at first.

I've seen the fake cars running around and I've seen one stranded on an incline over the main drag in suess landing - on a clear and sunny day.

-Rob

WDWFREAK53

I would imagine that it may also be a safety issue because I believe when the ride was first thought up, it was for children only...(although, this could NOT be the case because the Pteradon Flyers are also for "kids only" and they are up in the air)

I believe the "incline" suggestion...it seems the most logical. (although...a simple POWER INCREASE could solve this)

Also...weren't they supposed to "bump" the cars in front of them???

Bravo466

I have spoken to numerous staff at IOA, mainly to VIP tour guides.
This is what I have been told over the course of a couple years.

The original idea for the design was for the cars that run on the track to be bummer cars. Where they can hit the cars in front and pack. Once in testing they where having many difficulties with the safety features. (safety features meaning the computers that run it, ie the position of the cars on the track, controlling how fast and how often the hit each other).
Adding to the problem the company that was making the cars did go bankrupt.

I saw a picture of the cars being made some where. I'll try and think where i saw it.

-Harris

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by stingrock23
Hey wdwfreak, i likve your avatar. maybe they could open a caslte of graceskull in california adventure.:)

I always wanted a Masters of the Universe theme park...It would ROCK or at least an "80's toys" theme park.

Thundercats, He-Man, Transformers, My Little Pony, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Jem, M.A.S.K.

WDWspider

Originally posted by WDWFREAK53

I always wanted a Masters of the Universe theme park...It would ROCK or at least an "80's toys" theme park.

Thundercats, He-Man, Transformers, My Little Pony, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Jem, M.A.S.K.

What's Jem, I missed that one somehow. Guess I was too busy cleaning up all the Slime from the carpets.:lol:

Don't forget M.U.S.C.L.E. men, ultra cheap, and you could buy em by the Plastic Trash Can full.

Oh, and speaking of Garbage Cans.. Garbage Pail Kids, and of course the real deal... Cabbage Patch Kids.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by spider-man

What's Jem, I missed that one somehow. Guess I was too busy cleaning up all the Slime from the carpets.:lol:

Don't forget M.U.S.C.L.E. men, ultra cheap, and you could buy em by the Plastic Trash Can full.

Oh, and speaking of Garbage Cans.. Garbage Pail Kids, and of course the real deal... Cabbage Patch Kids.

MUSCLE men were the best!!! I LOVED THOSE GUYS...(although, they jumped the shark when they started with the multi-colored ones...I liked the original pink ones)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom