Don't even bother...

surfsupdon

We stay away from Les Chefs after a very expensive restaurant selection mistake on New Years Eve 2004...small portions and high prices for the NY Eve special menu...

jakeman

I am going to put on my flame retardant suit here and say: Ohana's.

The food is fairly generic to me and often dry. It is almost as if it is psuedo-adventurous eating to me. It parades itself as "Hawiian" cuisine (which I'm sure, to some extent, it is) and a unique dining experience, but in the end, to me, it is just meat on a stick with some nutty sauce to dip it in.

I am probably overanalyzing the "attitude" of the restuarant, but to me, it does not live up to the hype.

I know that it is a must-dine for many people here but, I, by far, prefer Kona Cafe to Ohana's. The food is more complex and the dinning experience is a touch more up-scale.

CoffeeJedi

I know that it is a must-dine for many people here but, I, by far, prefer Kona Cafe to Ohana's. The food is more complex and the dinning experience is a touch more up-scale.

Hmmmm, that's what i was afraid of. We went back and forth between the 2 for a while before deciding on Ohana (chosen because we didn't want to take 2 credits for the luau, and Ohana seemed like it was "luau lite"). I wonder if its too late to change ressies. Can you still see the fireworks from Kona?

Someone recommended that i steer clear of the crepe vendor cart in France. They have "display models" of all those nice crepes filled with fresh fruit, but when you actually order one, its pre-made and they just heat it up for you.

jakeman

Hmmmm, that's what i was afraid of. We went back and forth between the 2 for a while before deciding on Ohana (chosen because we didn't want to take 2 credits for the luau, and Ohana seemed like it was "luau lite"). I wonder if its too late to change ressies. Can you still see the fireworks from Kona?
Unfortunately, you cannot see the fireworks, nor, if I recall correctly, do they pump the Wishes music all the way over to Kona (even though they are right across the hall from each other).

If the fireworks are a deal-breaker then I would say stick with Ohana. However, the food, in my opinion of course, is much better and there is a more "grown-up" and civil atmosphere at Kona.

As far as I know they have not changed the menu at Kona since the last time I dined there. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

LeeLee D

Someone recommended that i steer clear of the crepe vendor cart in France. They have "display models" of all those nice crepes filled with fresh fruit, but when you actually order one, its pre-made and they just heat it up for you.

I had one on my last trip (June) and the CM made it right in front of me. It was a little more moist than I had expected, but very tasty.:slurp:

jdvm

eating luinch at Big River Grille at Boardwalk was one of the more unpleasant Disney experiences my family and i have had

mousebymarriage

Those were probably my kids!!:sohappy: ... and no offense taken. People without children (or grown children) have different preferences - completely understandable. Before I had children, I was the same way and will hopefully some day return to a state of peace and quiet.

My suggestion to everyone is to maybe check this site and WDW site for kid-friendly places. Kid-friendly to me is a blessing, whereas kid-friendly to some of my friends is a clear sign to "stay away!"
LeeLee, I think your kids were sitting next to my kids!LOL:lol:

mousebymarriage

I hate to say it but , I was really disappointed with the food at the character breakfast at Ohana's. The wait staff was great, the characters really did their best to accomodate everyone(young and old) but, the scrambled eggs were so wet, runny and raw they were practically chirping!:hurl:

AEfx

Agreed. Rainforest is overpriced and extremely lackluster. It's subpar casual dinning and the service is always slow.

I completely agree...and the enviornment isn't even that cool when compared to Disney-tech all around you in the rest of WDW. It may be cool in your local mall at home, but at Disney it just isn't terribly impressive.

I was there alone a year or so ago and got a salad and a burger, and the whole experience took about an hour and forty-five minutes. It was insane. And the food, which is very expensive even compared to WDW food prices, was medicore at best. The burger I had was OK, but really nothing better than what I would have gotten at a fast food stand elsewhere for 1/2 the price. I've tried it once since and after the last time I decided to not waste my time again.

ABC Commisary is just nasty. :hurl: I've eaten there a few times thinking the first time must have been a fluke. Nope, it's slow, gross, and the food is just poorly prepared.

Now most of my experience completey supports this - and I was told that the reason the food quality wasn't as good was because a different vendor served up the burgers/etc. than the rest of WDW. Not sure how true that is, but it made sense.

Then last fall we took my niece, who's absolute favorite ride was RnR, so we spent a LOT of time at MGM. We ended up eating there twice that trip (maybe three times?) because it was very hot out and it was the only air conditioned place besides pizza at the Toy Story Barn (whatever it's called), and it was easier for her to navigate with her wheelchair. We ended up with two really great meals. I was shocked. So perhaps we were just REALLY lucky, or maybe it's gotten better.

I love the theme of Cinderella's Royal Table and enjoyed my meal there prior to the all character meals, but now it's far too expesive to me for what you get. The narrowed the menu and charge you double. No thanks. It used to be a must see at least once but now... it's a pass which is a real shame in my opinion.
-m

Ugh, I don't even like anything on the new menu. So very sad - I'm very glad I got to have dinner there finally last year, because I won't be returning. It's a shame, as while it is more expensive I could almost justify it once in a great while because it's dinner in the castle...but as you said, for what you get, I'd walk out more satisfied from a counter service place.

AEfx

MissM

Now most of my experience completey supports this - and I was told that the reason the food quality wasn't as good was because a different vendor served up the burgers/etc. than the rest of WDW. Not sure how true that is, but it made sense.
I've heard that as well. It would make sense to me since the burgers taste entirely different from those at MK and Epcot. I mean entirely different. Plus they don't do topping bars there AND they charge you for cheese sauce. (When I asked a CM about cheese sauce, she informed me I needed to get back in line and buy some. I said, but it's free at MK. Her reply? Yeah well, this isn't MK. :eek: ) I tell ya, it's a rip. I got the chicken nuggets? fingers? I don't recall one time and they were literally ice cold. As in not even cooked. We tried a few times but ultimately, just gave up.

If it gets overhauled, that'd be a much needed improvement. Surely someone in the Disney Management hierarchy must have noticed it really sucks. :lol:
-m

AEfx

I've heard that as well. It would make sense to me since the burgers taste entirely different from those at MK and Epcot. I mean entirely different. Plus they don't do topping bars there AND they charge you for cheese sauce. (When I asked a CM about cheese sauce, she informed me I needed to get back in line and buy some. I said, but it's free at MK. Her reply? Yeah well, this isn't MK. :eek: ) I tell ya, it's a rip. I got the chicken nuggets? fingers? I don't recall one time and they were literally ice cold. As in not even cooked. We tried a few times but ultimately, just gave up.

If it gets overhauled, that'd be a much needed improvement. Surely someone in the Disney Management hierarchy must have noticed it really sucks. :lol:
-m

I'm going to check it out once more on my next trip because the last time we did have a good experience, but you and I had nearly identical bad experiences there. I got a burger once that had about 5 smushed french fries under it, and the entire thing was ice cold. It was early lunch (but not that early, like 11:15), and not busy, and I'm sure it had been sitting there for awhile. Perhaps they are better when they are busier - both times we went there last trip they were busy at the time when we had good meals.

I had totally written it off, but I am willing to give it one more try because it's a great location, always icy cold in there, and the booths are very comfortable. It's really the only fast-food indoor place in MGM, which is why I usually make lunch ressies at Sci-Fi or Brown Derby, but I can't afford those every day, LOL.

AEfx

polynesiangirl

You can tell from reading this that part of it is just luck - if you go to the place on a "bad day" you might come out hating a place tons of others love. And it's also just a matter of taste.

We love: Cali Grill (going again, yay!), Le Cellier, Crystal Palace, Teppanyaki :slurp:

We Probably Won't Go Back To: The restaurants in China, Italy and France (and yes, I know the names, this was faster to type, :animwink: ) at least not for another year or two. And we were also disappointed in 'Ohana. My husband and I went last time expecting a lot based on so many good reviews and the food was just...sort of cold and not that great. Oh well.

jenmac78

I mentioned this thread to my wife. We ate lunch today at a very nice local seafood restaurant and had a very delicious meal. We had a long and relaxing dining experience. During our conversation she reminded me that, at one time, the ABC Commissary had very good food. They changed the menu a few years ago and now the food is terrible. She also reminded me that the same thing happened to the Lotus Blossom Café. She had a rather long list of restaurants at WDW that have, over the years, declined in quality.

Indeed, I agree. I don’t go to WDW for the fine food. I am there for the attractions. I want to see and do things. I don’t want to relax! I’m wound up pretty tight when I hit the parks. The time spent on a leisurely meal translates to missed opportunities to ride Splash Mountain or other favorites. I have plenty of fine restaurants in my local community that serve excellent seafood, Cajun, Mexican, Chinese, Italian and other great cuisine. WDW has never been high on my list for dining experiences. :wave:

When I was young and immortal, I would sometimes order an alcoholic drink with my meal. Now that I am older and mortal, I avoid all alcohol. I don’t desire to be around other people that are imbibing alcohol. I have no patience with people that are inebriated. I avoid those situations.
Yes, you are right. I make it a habit now to ask for water with my meal, but I never drink the water. I don’t have the need to “wash down” my food with a drink or use a beverage to rescue my taste buds from hot or spicy foods. The foods that I eat normally contain more than enough hydration for my body. If I need additional hydration, water fountains abound at WDW. Or you might find me drinking a hot cup of Oolong tea at the Lotus Blossom Café. :D :wave:

Sorry but it sounds to me like you are wound up tight all the time. Never once have I seen a drunk person walking around Disney annoying other guests. It is after all a vacation and some people enjoy alcohol on vacation. For that matter, most people don't have your ability to re-hydrate themselves from within and need a glass of water now and then in 90 degree weather. Any doctor would tell you that.

KCBroadway

My husband and I were in Disney this past June and had some great dining experiences:
-Brown Derby (Fantasmic Package) - Great food and definitely worth the money. We actually made money off the deal because of the items we ordered. The service was also great.
- Nine Dragons (China) - Typical Chinese food, but very tasty. We love Chinese so this was great for us.
- Teppanyaki Grill (Japan) - This was also great. I was a little disappointed that they didn't make fried rice though. I've been to other Japanese steakhouses at home and this was always an option. The service was also great.
- ESPN (Boardwalk) - I was a little disappointed with the menu - very limited. I had one of the fish specials that day and it was absolutely great though. I guess it depends. The service was fine and there was no wait.
- Rainforest Cafe - I know a lot of people don't really care for this, but we love it. We like the atmosphere and even though I will agree that the food is a little expensive - It's still pretty good.

We're heading out next June and have already started looking into some different places to eat! Currently looking at Bongos, Le Cellier, Cinderella's Royal Table (Dinner), Crystal Palace (Breakfast), Chef Mickey's (Dinner), Sci-Fin Dine In Theatre, and Mama Melrose's. ;)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I'm going to get blasted, but the California Grill was the worst, most overpriced dining experience in my life.

I'll second that so they have to blast with both barrels. It is also overly noisy and a mess with everyones expectation of a romantic meal with fireworks.
Tony's is OK but overpriced...I'd rather get an expanded fare in the various hotels.
Alfredo's....partly being spoiled by Italian food in the northeast and the most servers seem sullen if not rude.
Living Seas...I love seafood, but the price, very limited menu and uninspired presentation are wanting.
I'll also jump on the bandwagon for Rainforest, Commissary

Scooter

Sorry but it sounds to me like you are wound up tight all the time. Never once have I seen a drunk person walking around Disney annoying other guests. It is after all a vacation and some people enjoy alcohol on vacation. For that matter, most people don't have your ability to re-hydrate themselves from within and need a glass of water now and then in 90 degree weather. Any doctor would tell you that.

Drinking on avacation is fine...Getting drunk in front of families with their children in a Disney theme park is NOT.

I have seen people stumbling and vomiting all over the place in EPCOT's World Showcase.
As I mentioned in another thread, once, while I was in the men's bathroom by the United Kingdom, a drunken woman came in and threw up in the urinal right next to me.
What a class act that was...and 3 children in the bathroom got to witness that spectacle with me.

I see it happeneing mostly during EPCOT's Food and wine festival.

They need to have something like a 3 drink per person limit in EPCOT in my opinion. If you need more than 3 drinks while in a Disney Park, you don't need to be in a Theme park...you need to be in Rehab.:lol:

If I want to get drunk, I can do it at my local pub....and my local pub doesn't charge me $60 to get in, nor do they charge me $5.00+ for a beer.

Seriously though, I just don't think alcohol and kids mix. I think the drinking should be restricted to inside of Restuarants, with a meal.

barnum42

As I mentioned in another thread, once, while I was in the men's bathroom by the United Kingdom, a drunken woman came in and threw up in the urinal right next to me.
What a class act that was...and 3 children in the bathroom got to witness that spectacle with me.
Are you sure that was not streetmosphere? You know, giving you that genuine British drunk yob experience? :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom