Doesn't Going to WDW Multiple Times in a Year Desensitize You to the Fun and Magic?

Enderikari

I really think that the question may be kind of a moot point...
At the risk of sounding sappy (and this is going to sound really sappy)

The magic of Disney is something inside each person. Going to Disney World and seeing everything it has to offer helps to unlock the sense of wonder we all have inside. If you have that capacity for magic inside, then you can go everyday and still feel as if you are in a wonderous place.
When I went down for my college program (fall 2002), my parents and my friends warned me that I would lose some of the magic. When I was finished, the opposite had come true.
In the end, I guess its just different for everybody, and whether or not their internal "magic" can adapt to seeing something every week and still being able to see it with wonder, with the eyes of a child.

RSoxNo1

Disney is completely different then other "theme" parks because of their attention to detail. Six flags will "theme" a roller coaster by placing cutouts of super hero characters around the perimiter spending no more then $1000 on this "theming" and they get away with calling a roller coaster Superman.

Or they'll simply paint a roller coaster green and call it the hulk. That's not theming, but that's what most other "theme" parks do. I don't think much research and development went into the theming done at these parks, therefore making multiple yearly visits unnecessary. Disney is always changing, and even when it isn't changing you could go there 365 days a year and have new experiences every day. That's why going multiple times per year is appealing.

tigger248

Originally posted by Enderikari
I really think that the question may be kind of a moot point...
At the risk of sounding sappy (and this is going to sound really sappy)

The magic of Disney is something inside each person. Going to Disney World and seeing everything it has to offer helps to unlock the sense of wonder we all have inside. If you have that capacity for magic inside, then you can go everyday and still feel as if you are in a wonderous place.
When I went down for my college program (fall 2002), my parents and my friends warned me that I would lose some of the magic. When I was finished, the opposite had come true.
In the end, I guess its just different for everybody, and whether or not their internal "magic" can adapt to seeing something every week and still being able to see it with wonder, with the eyes of a child.

I know exactly what you mean! I also did the college program in the fall of 2002 and I feel the same way. My family also told me I'd lose some of the magic but I really proved them wrong. I work at Six Flags at home and working there really made me dislike the place (mainly because I do spend so much time there working). Disney was the opposite and I could never grow tired of being there. As a cast member I saw many things that could probably ruin the magic for some. Yet when I went as a guest or even now when I go, it's just as magical as ever. The music and atmosphere of the parks even bring tears to my eyes. I run to see the characters like a small child (I'm 21). I could never grow tired of the rides or any other part of the magic. My roomate from the program is there now doing a second program. I would do anything to be in her shoes. I miss the place so much.

By the way Enderikari, where did you work on your program? I worked at frontierland merchandise in the splash photo shop and Briar Patch. Lived in Vista Way.

Enderikari

Originally posted by tigger248

By the way Enderikari, where did you work on your program? I worked at frontierland merchandise in the splash photo shop and Briar Patch. Lived in Vista Way.

I worked as the dancing custodian of Pleasure Island, Westside, Lived at Chatham.

And believe me, I am glad someone else feels the way I do... After all, my Advanced Internship starts in T-minus 9 days

tigger248

What advanced internship are you doing? That's so exciting. I want to do one and sometimes I go to the website just to see what ones they have and what I would do if I could. My only problem is that I can't afford to take another semester off from school. I still get my disney fix by working seasonally at the local disney store, but it's not the same.

tigger248

I am so jealous! :) If there's one place I'd love to work (besides characters with tigger) it would be guest relations in a park. I work in guest services now and it would be so much fun to do it at disney. Congratulations and have fun. Maybe I'll see ya in July if I have to do a last minute priority seating or something.

CmdrTostada

Originally posted by MKBurn15
Grr.

I knew what I would say would make somone mad. Don't get me wrong I love Disney World, I grew up going to Disneyland and I loved every single chance we got, the whole day before I would only think of going to Disneyland. It is still like that, but in a different way. I love going to Disney World and seeing the art in the art store, I love going and getting a pineapple vanilla swirl in adventureland. My Disney trips are much different than many others. Many people go for the rides, I go for the atmosphere, because I love just sittting in disney, or walking around the stores and looking at all the new things they have for sale. Disney for me is no longer about the rides and the characters, its more about just being there. No matter how many times I go, i still love being there, i would much rather walk around doing nothing in the park for 50 minutes than wait in line for the same amount of time.

MKBurn15

Originally posted by CmdrTostada
I knew what I would say would make somone mad. Don't get me wrong I love Disney World, I grew up going to Disneyland and I loved every single chance we got, the whole day before I would only think of going to Disneyland. It is still like that, but in a different way. I love going to Disney World and seeing the art in the art store, I love going and getting a pineapple vanilla swirl in adventureland. My Disney trips are much different than many others. Many people go for the rides, I go for the atmosphere, because I love just sittting in disney, or walking around the stores and looking at all the new things they have for sale. Disney for me is no longer about the rides and the characters, its more about just being there. No matter how many times I go, i still love being there, i would much rather walk around doing nothing in the park for 50 minutes than wait in line for the same amount of time.
No, I was mad cause you can go there so often. Grr.

civileng68

Account Suspended
Disney

Here's my view on going alot to Disney, since I do.

My wife feels the same:

We both feel under much LESS stress by going several times per year. We just can relax since we know we've done it all and we just ride what we want and enjoy the atmosphere.

The night shows never, i repeat, never get boring or lose anything.

Yes, some rides do lose their "luster" but others don't. The thing is, when you go alot you don't always ride the same things each trip. I dont ride Splash on each trip or BTMRR, so they stay fresh.

However, I have to admit, the aticipation is the biggest thing. After we're there a couple nights we're ready to head back home.

But I would not trade it for anything, I love being able to go. As soon as I get home I miss it again.

JBSLJames

Since the only park I have been to is Epcot and that was years ago, I am very much looking forward to bringin ght ekids down this year.

As season pass holders to Paramount's Kings Island (PKI), we typically hit the park 20 to 30 times a year with some additional trips jus to the waterpark and at least 1 visit to Fearfest in October. As often as we go, I still enjoy riding the rides with my kids. I think their memory is less than ours as they LOVE to ride the same rides over and over again. Of course, as an adult, I can not ride The Beast, Drop Zone, ans Son of Beast enough. These rides never seem to produce a "going through the motions" experience.

That being said, my kids have been talking about the WDW trip this year since we booked it and even talk about it while we are at PKI.

TheDisneyGirl02

Originally posted by Enderikari

I totally agree. I haven't lost the magic at all. I used to go to the parks on my day off and I had a blast! I wish now I could do that! The magic is still there for me...I don't think I'd ever lose it!

TheDisneyGirl02

MKBurn15

Heh. I think my parents are trying to make me lose the magic. They keep saying stick to going there, it will be ruined if you work there.

brentley2

Originally posted by MerHearted
I'm one of those people who can't imagine going so much. I've been to WDW twice, my next trip will be 3 years apart from my last. I would like to go once a year, but I think that's it. Possibly twice, if it's right. But definitely, no more than that. To me, I want WDW to be "the place I long to see", not just "a place I like to go."

I agree...since I am in the mid-west, and it's pretty much equally easy (although cheaper to get to Florida) to get to do one coast per year.
This year will be Florida,
2005 will be California for the 50th of DL, and then
back to Florida for EE and Soarin'!

People at work think that I am weird because I want to go once a year though....they think it's odd that someone would want to go back as much as I do.
But, especially with Florida, there is SO much to do! I don't know that the magic would be there for me as I walk up Main Street and see the castle if I could do that every day.

TandJDisneyFans

My husband thinks I am crazy...but I can't get enough. I just got home on the 10th of May (I went with a family to help with their kids) and I am already trying to convince my husband to go in September. I could have fun at WDW without ever even going into the parks as a matter of fact. I enjoy simply checking out the resorts and going places that do not require admission. Now I do always go to the parks and I never get bored of it. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and I have already been three times this year. Once for four days with my husband and mother-in-law, once with my mom and sister, and once with the family that I previously mentioned. I just love being there. I could go there every single day for the rest of my life and never get bored. I guess it is a personal thing as to what you like and dislike. I have a feeling that I won't be going though for at least a year and that is a long enough wait for me. I will appreciate it plenty by the time we arrive!!

figmentmom

I find the moe often I'm able to go to WDW, the more I appeciate it! I certainly notice more of the small things that really separate WDW from any other experience. The times I was able to get there only once a year, I found myself practically frantic when I finally DID arrive! I was so anxious to do and see everything as quickly as possible that I was unable to slow down and truly enjoy the place.

The more, the merrier, as far as I'm concerned. :)

stitch62678

Everytime we go down there. We have a plan to slow down and take it one thing at a time. But it always ends up being the opposite. When I get down there...I have to do as much as I can so I won't miss anything...but I always end up missing something no matter how hard I try...

AKFreak

I try to go at least once a month. Try to make it a long weekend. You get to notice the "little" things that you miss if you go rushing by. Like the animals in the Oasis of AK. I once spent about two hours just looking for, and finding the animals. Plus, shows like Beauty and the Beast and Fesitval of the Lion King, you can't "see" everything watching them just once. I sat behind a family at Lion King once, who didn't watch the show, just studied the map planning out their next attraction. What a waste of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom