Does WDW Host Same-[gender] Weddings On Property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
No, they aren't weddings in the legal sense, simply because it is illegal for same ______ couples to marry in Florida.

Wilt Dasney

Originally posted by Thrawn
No, they aren't weddings in the legal sense, simply because it is illegal for same ______ couples to marry in Florida.

Right, that's why I asked.

I would be very surprised to learn that Disney was testing this issue with the kind of legal experimentation we've seen in San Francisco and a few other places.

djmatthews

Hi

In the UK from what I understand, it will be years until 2 men or women can walk down the aisle of a church and get married, regardless of their own personal faith.

In the UK however, $exual couples are being given the right to "commit" and finally enjoy the same rights as married couples i.e. being named next of kin, not having to pay inheritance tax etc.

Unfortunately right-wing America, supposable land of the free, does not allow such a right. (please don't take that the wrong way). My point being, I'm guessing WDW would not allow such a service. But, would they allow a blessing/occasion that effectively shows the love between two people? If you have the money!

Disney2002

Originally posted by Thrawn

Actually, they could have been actual weddings. According to an earlier post, you simply need a wedding certificate to have a Disney ceremony. Well, there are an increasing number of european nations that allow same-gender couples to wed. They would have the certificate.

brentley2

Originally posted by RPMdfw
Speaking as a gay guy that has checked into the Disney Wedding thing (hey, the BF and I met at Gay Days, we might want to do the wedding thing sometime . . . :D ) I can tell you that no, Disney has never allowed a "Commitment Ceremony" at a Disney Park or Resort.

There have been two Gay Weddings on property however. The Hotel Royal Plaza is the host hotel for one of the two gay day websites (not the one I like, so I'm not going to list it here. Let them do their own PR) and there have been weddings there as part of the Gay Days celebrations.

So, officially: no. Gays and lesbians are not allowed to have a "Disney Fairytale Wedding" (We can have the fairies, just not the wedding, I guess).

That said, however. No one willing to drop major cash has never tried, so you never know how fast they'll change their rules when they see dollar signs. Unfortunatley, the BF and I don't have that kind of cash to throw around, so we'll just have to be satisfied with moving to Orlando next month and attending Gay Day with our friends in June. That is until the unfair restrictions are lifted.
:sohappy:

Maybe us gay guys (and girls too!) should try to band together...if we do a double Fairy Tale Wedding (oh, wait..the double entendrees of that are making my head spin)...
maybe we could defray the cost...or do they just charge more?

By the way, looked at your AOL site...(beginning to thread drift...)
loved it...I am a BIG fan of DC comics too...

I have never done Gay Day:(
Would love to do that someday, though

RPMdfw

Originally posted by brentley2
By the way, looked at your AOL site...(beginning to thread drift...)
loved it...I am a BIG fan of DC comics too...

I have never done Gay Day:(
Would love to do that someday, though

Ugh, that just reminds me that I've got to update my webpage. It's over 3 years out of date now, and it's only going to get more out of date next month when I no longer live in Dallas. But yes, as you can see by my page, I'm a major Superman fan, and have been for years.

As to attending Gay Day at WDW, see my post above. It's a blast!

mom_rules

Americans don't have to travel all the way to Europe to get a marriage certificate-Ontario, Canada is just a 2 hour flight away.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Reciprocity for Disaster

Do the states (US) have clearly defined reciprocity with the rest of the world when it comes to marriage licenses? My understanding was that it must only honor licenses between states. Other countries may, for example, allow minors to marry, which is generally not allowed here (with certain outlined exceptions.)

Just because something is legal somewhere else does not mean we can assume such a point of view will be honored here. If a man is allowed to physically abuse his wife in another country it would NOT be safe for him to assume that he may do the same here. Common practice somewhere else may be domestic violence / battery in the US. Suppose I can get a certificate in another country that allows me to use drugs that are otherwise illegal in the US... Extreme examples, but it makes the point.

I suppose this is an issue best pointed at a lawyer who specializes in domestic / family law. But I, for one, would not want to jump to the assumption that just because one country honors something that the US must honor it as well.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Timekeeper

mom_rules

You are correct of course. Looks like NY is one of the first heading in that direction:

"March 4, 2004

NY recognition of Canadian gay marriages
Attorney General builds case for state acceptance

"Today in New York, one of the most incredible steps occurred," said David Buckel, marriage project director for Lambda Legal. "New York State became the first state in the nation to clarify that same-______ marriages performed out of state will be respected here."
New York Times, March 4, 2004"

RPMdfw

Okay, while I heartily agree that dialogue on this issue is benficial, I think we've drifted out of the type of conversation that's appropriate for WDWmagic.com. There are dozens of sites where one can look up info on the legailty and the fight for equal rights, etc.

I think we've pretty much covered everything about the original question about gay weddings on property, and would hate to see this thread degenerate into a back and forth bashing that we've seen so many times before, resulting in people being banned from the boards.

Don't mean to be a party pooper, I just think we're treading on some very thin ice if this discussion continues in the direction it's headed.

Wilt Dasney

Hmm....

So did you hear the one about the rabbi, the priest, and the lesbian who all signed up for the same line dancing class? :lookaroun

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Did you hear the one about the Timekeeper...?

I do agree with RPMdfw that the issues introduced in this thread may have evolved beyond the issue at point. I am, however, surprised at how "civil" the comments have been. I appreciate all of the information, even if some of it extended a little bit further than what's currently happening at WDW. I like to learn about related facts as they supplement the specific facts.

Although I had a genuine question to ask, I was a little nervous about starting this thread. This looks like a good example of how, if we stick to the facts and refrain from "bashing," how productive a thread on a "controversial" issue can be.

Thanks again for all of your helpful input.

:sohappy:

Timekeeper

ThumperDude

I just read where Disney is relaxing their policy on same-______ weddings. They are now letting same-______ couples participate in the Fairy Tale Wedding program. It will of course be a commitment ceremony but we'll have all the same bells and whistles offered to us as the different-______ ceremonies, packages have.
This is so cool. I guess money, (and tolerance), speaks loudly in corporate America. Now all I have to do is find a boyfriend, fall in love and arrange a wedding package in the next 76 days.
Three cheers to Mickey!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Wilt Dasney

Here is a new article on the issue from todays Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...04/06/AR2007040602286.html?hpid=moreheadlines

There have been other threads that have talked about and debated this issue. I do think this is a slippery slope, once you allow anyone that request a ceremony regardless of the offical Florida marriage license.

What happens if 5 people, take what ever gender you want, 2 men and 3 women, and they want to have a Fairytale Wedding Ceremony. Disney now must allow that to happen. Is there no limit? As long as you are willing to pay the $$???

Gay unions are gaining legal standing in several states. Massachusetts has gay marriage. I don't know of any parts of the country that have given legal standing to polygamy.

Teenchy

Gay unions are gaining legal standing in several states. Massachusetts has gay marriage. I don't know of any parts of the country that have given legal standing to polygamy.

Understood, But thats the slope....whats the definition?, whats the limit, only 2 people...thats mighty intolerant if they love each other...right?

Not trying to pick a fight or start an argument but I think Disney was smart to stick to the legal marriage license issue explaination. Until or if laws changed. If its a commitment ceremony with no legal background, I'm not sure how Disney can turn away anyone number of people, wouldnt that be discrimination?

tigsmom

These are not legal marriages where you get a license, they are commitment ceremonies, which are becoming more popular everyday.

There have been two other threads since this article came out that have gotten ugly and have been shut down, I've a feeling this one will go the same way.

Live and let live.

Wilt Dasney

Understood, But thats the slope....whats the definition?, whats the limit, only 2 people...thats mighty intolerant if they love each other...right?

Not trying to pick a fight or start an argument but I think Disney was smart to stick to the legal marriage license issue explaination. Until or if laws changed. If its a commitment ceremony with no legal background, I'm not sure how Disney can turn away anyone number of people, wouldnt that be discrimination?

I get the argument. If I were Disney's PR department, I think I would go the route I just laid out, though. Whether someone thinks it's discrimination or not, the fact is polygamy doesn't have the legal standing in this country that gay unions do, so from a PR standpoint, I think Disney's footing is pretty strong here.

I don't think Disney is interested in being in front of society on these things. The pendulum is swinging toward tolerance on gay unions. If we see the same thing happen for polygamy (which I doubt, but you never know), this might become an issue in the future.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I think enough has been said about this on this and other threads recently. I'm going to close this now, as they always end up in a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom