Does WDW Host Same-[gender] Weddings On Property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I have personally seen a number of weddings on WDW property. I have also seen a number of news segments regarding the relatively recent surge in same-s_x "weddings."

This raises a question that I have not yet heard anything about: Would WDW host a "wedding ceremony" for a same-s_x couple on WDW property? Have they done so in the past?

This question is aside from the legal status of such "weddings" in Florida or whether it is morally right or wrong. I'm not giving an opinion or asking for one, just inquiring as to the facts as they exist at WDW.

I know that many weddings on property involve some sort of "public appearance" of the wedding party (usually in transit between facilities, with the occassional ceremony in an open courtyard) because I have seen and participated in some. This said, I wonder how WDW feels about this issue, and how guests might feel if their families are exposed to this. Will they honor any paying customer - or do they side with the law on this issue?

Timekeeper

DisneySaint

WDW readily accepts "Walt Disney World Gay Days" in late May into early June in which there are hundreds, if not thousands, of gay couples walking together arm-in-arm and whatnot, so I suppose - laws aside - they would allow it.

By the way, the only reason I know about Gay Days is because we experienced it firsthand on our trip a few years back. I know some parents were very upset about the whole thing, but this is America - what can ya do?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
We'll have a gay ol' time

Originally posted by DisneyJoey
WDW readily accepts "Walt Disney World Gay Days" in late May into early June...

From what I understand, WDW has never been officially affiliated with "Walt Disney World Gay Days," and therefore that title is quite misleading. I seem to recall WDW denying any sponsorship of the event.

Regarding the issue of weddings, WDW would have to become "involved" or a "participating party" (an "official host of the ceremony" if you will) and therefor subject to criticism. With Gay Days, however, WDW acts more like a spectator to the event.

Timekeeper

Bill

Account Suspended
The Timekeeper's right, what can I say? Though, the FL constitution specifically bans Gay Marriages. The FL constitution is very neat. Did you know there's no common law in FL? Everything must be done on paper. It's pretty cool. Our laws are different from a lot of places. For example, it was/still is legal for you to shoot someone in the leg if they walk on your property. It's also legal to build castles in one area of the state. (I think we all know where that is. :animwink: )

Tom

Beta Return
I would think Disney would be subject to MORE critism in this "politically correct" society we've been forced into, if they DENIED a guest the right to use their services for a gay marriage.

However, if there is a ban on it in Florida, then they would obviously deny it.

imagineer boy

I'm betting Twelve dollers, a gazoo, and a pencil that this thread won't be closed. Just imagine, a gay day thread not closed.:sohappy:

Wilt Dasney

From what I've heard, Disney not only would but has hosted plenty of "commitment ceremonies" (not precisely weddings) between same-$ex couples. Gay and straight people are basically alike in the sense most critical to Disney: They both will pay out the nose to be married (or "committed") on Disney property.

Dayma

WDW readily accepts "Walt Disney World Gay Days" in late May into early June in which there are hundreds

I think they just pretend that it is not happening so they dont have to make any "official press statements"....

wdwfan22

Re: We'll have a gay ol' time

Originally posted by Timekeeper
From what I understand, WDW has never been officially affiliated with "Walt Disney World Gay Days," and therefore that title is quite misleading. I seem to recall WDW denying any sponsorship of the event.

Regarding the issue of weddings, WDW would have to become "involved" or a "participating party" (an "official host of the ceremony" if you will) and therefor subject to criticism. With Gay Days, however, WDW acts more like a spectator to the event.

Timekeeper

If Disney really didn't want to have anything to do with gay days then they wouldn't rent out Typhoon Lagoon for their private party. It's all about making money, and they don't care who's money they take :D

mickeysaver

According to Disney's Wedding Website......
If a previous marriage ended in divorce within 90 days in the state of Florida, or in the past year out of state, a copy of the divorce decree is required. Both bride and groom must be present to obtain the license.

Proof of a valid Florida marriage license is required prior to hosting your wedding ceremony at the Walt Disney World® Resort. Sorry, but passports are not acceptable as proof of marriage.

So, it reads to me like only heterosexual couples can be wed at WDW. The only potential loophole is in their vow renewal policy. If you were to get married in Canada and then go to WDW with the valididated marriage license, you should be able to at least do the vow renewal. Trust me, I would love to be able to get married at WDW too, but it's still a few years of civil rights struggles away. Maggie

Wilt Dasney

Originally posted by mickeysaver
So, it reads to me like only heterosexual couples can be wed at WDW.

Disney's not out to be on the "cutting edge" of any social issue. You won't see full-fledged gay weddings at Disney until it becomes legally accepted at either the federal or state level. Anotherwards, don't expect the type of things we've seen in San Francisco to pop up at Disney; they've got no interest in being taken to court by testing the limits on this issue.

Disney's rather conservative (no pun intended) that way. :)

As stated throughout this thread, Florida law still actively discriminates against gay couples in regards to marriage. With that said, I'm sure that Disney would host a similar "commitment" ceremony for gay and lesbian couples. It may not be referred to as an actual "wedding" or "marriage" but it's the union between the two individuals that really matters.

If you have the bucks to shell out for something like this, I'm betting that Disney would be glad to act as host.

TravisMT81

Originally posted by ThreeCircles
If you have the bucks to shell out for something like this, I'm betting that Disney would be glad to act as host.

exactly what I was going to say, it is all about the money!!

RPMdfw

Speaking as a gay guy that has checked into the Disney Wedding thing (hey, the BF and I met at Gay Days, we might want to do the wedding thing sometime . . . :D ) I can tell you that no, Disney has never allowed a "Commitment Ceremony" at a Disney Park or Resort.

There have been two Gay Weddings on property however. The Hotel Royal Plaza is the host hotel for one of the two gay day websites (not the one I like, so I'm not going to list it here. Let them do their own PR) and there have been weddings there as part of the Gay Days celebrations.

So, officially: no. Gays and lesbians are not allowed to have a "Disney Fairytale Wedding" (We can have the fairies, just not the wedding, I guess).

That said, however. No one willing to drop major cash has never tried, so you never know how fast they'll change their rules when they see dollar signs. Unfortunatley, the BF and I don't have that kind of cash to throw around, so we'll just have to be satisfied with moving to Orlando next month and attending Gay Day with our friends in June. That is until the unfair restrictions are lifted.
:sohappy:

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Hot Feet

Originally posted by Wilt Dasney
From what I've heard, Disney not only would but has hosted plenty of "commitment ceremonies" (not precisely weddings) between same-$ex couples.

So if this information is true, then the answer to my question is effectively "yes," WDW has hosted "commitment ceremonies" for same-$ex couples - just not "weddings" in the legal sense of the word.

Does it not then follow logically that the upcoming "gay days" event will bring with it a number of requests for "commitment ceremonies" on WDW property? This would seem to be the "ripe" season for such requests assuming that WDW does in fact honor such requests with services.

EDIT: Oops. Thanks RPMdfw for the info. You posted while I was writing my reply.

Timekeeper

RPMdfw

Re: Hot Feet

Does it not then follow logically that the upcoming "gay days" event will bring with it a number of requests for "commitment ceremonies" on WDW property? This would seem to be the "ripe" season for such requests assuming that WDW does in fact honor such requests with services.

I can see where you'd think that, but in reality, fighting for the right to marry is a very political thing. That's why the actions in San Fran and other places are being described as "Civil Disobedience."

Despite what you may have heard, Gay Day events are NOT traditionally political in nature. They're days when Gays and Lesbians can go have fun in the parks and not worry about the politics of the situation. That said, of course any large gathering of gays and lesbians is currently turned into something political by someone either by gay rights activists or by the religious right.

I've not heard a lot about commitment ceremonies or the like very much outside the two that were performed at the Hotel Royal Plaza the last two years (one in 2002, and one in 2003)

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Politiki Room

Thank you for the insight.

Yes, I assumed that there is more "political issues" with Gay Days than really exists - and after reading your post - I understand that I had this impression most likely due to the media's influence in how they portray the event on the news.

I've attended various conventions for various reasons, and I understand how enjoyable it is to be in a group that shares something significant in common with myself. Although I have never attended the event, I would be interested in going if my schedule allows.

Timekeeper

RPMdfw

Re: Politiki Room

Although I have never attended the event, I would be interested in going if my schedule allows.

While I understand that it's not for everyone, I have to say that words cannot describe how much fun it was. It's easily the best trip I've ever taken to WDW. Of course, I met the love of my life on my Gay Day trip and we're moving in together when we move to Orlando in Mid May, so that probably has a lot to do with it. But I've been telling all of my gay and lesbian friends that they should all do it at least once. It's amazing.

Wilt Dasney

Re: Re: Hot Feet

Originally posted by RPMdfw
any large gathering of gays and lesbians is currently turned into something political by someone either by gay rights activists or by the religious right.

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

I've not heard a lot about commitment ceremonies or the like very much outside the two that were performed at the Hotel Royal Plaza the last two years (one in 2002, and one in 2003)

You called those weddings in your earlier post; just so I'm clear on the distinction, those were not weddings in the legal sense, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom