Does Raya and the Last Dragon have a future in the Disney Parks?

Does Raya and the Last Dragon have a future within the Disney empire?

• Yes, she will become a Disney Princess and heavily be featured within the Parks and merchandise

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • She will make small cameos at the Disney Parks (like an appearance in Fantasmic), but nothing major

Votes: 75 39.3%
  • Raya and Sisu will soon vanish, and the film will be ignored by the Walt Disney Company

Votes: 110 57.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LovePop

I was blown away when I saw Raya and the Last Dragon in theaters back in March. I thought Disney’s latest animated feature had a fantastic and empowering heroine, incredible world-building, lovable side characters, an exciting story, and what is — in my opinion — the best CGI animation to-date in a Disney film. It wasn’t perfect — the dialogue was too modern, and the story would have worked better as a TV series. But I think what it did well, it did so well, that it’s become one of my favorite films of the modern Disney era (2010-present).

But as much as I enjoyed the movie, I wonder if it will have much of a presence in the Disney parks and the Disney company as a whole. Despite getting very good reviews from critics, the movie generally has not been seen as a financial success, with box office returns of only about $120 million worldwide.

Now obviously, numerous factors were going into Raya’s financial failures. For one, the movie was released in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic with minimal advertising. Disney did the bare minimum to promote this movie. The film was rather leggy at the box office in terms of having no steep week-to-week drops. But when a movie opens at only $8.5 million, that isn’t saying much. Raya and the Last Dragon also had a simultaneous release with premium access. However, since Raya was an unknown IP (unlike Black Widow) and premium access is $30, most people waited to see it on streaming until it became available for free. Throughout the summer, Raya has consistently remained within the top 10 most streamed movies. However, it’s viewership has still been significantly less than the Pixar film Luca (which was released exclusively on Disney Plus).

So what do you guys think the fate of the potential “Raya and the Last Dragon” franchise will be? Will it end up like Atlantis and Treasure Planet — beloved by a small cult following but ultimately forgotten by the average moviegoer? Or do you think it will gradually grow expand its fandom — and thus a presence within the Disney Parks — over time?

Unlike Atlantis and Treasure Planet, which both had mixed reviews, critics have mostly praised Raya. In the wake of criticism over the company’s previously negative depictions of minorities, Disney has expressed a desire to be more inclusive and diverse in the parks and their films. So it might be a good look for the company to highlight its only Southeast Asian Princess.

So what do you guys think? Will Raya become the 13th official Disney Princess and be added to that franchise? Will Raya and Sisu meet and greet opportunities take place at the parks? Could you see any theme park shows or rides based on the film being supported by the company? Is a Disney Plus spinoff possible, like the ones being done for Zootopia, Baymax and Tangled? Could Kumandra be a world in a future Kingdom Hearts video game?

Had COVID-19 not happened and Raya opened its original Thanksgiving 2020 release date, I think it could have been a box office hit. But due to the circumstances of Raya and the Last Dragon’s release, I fear that Raya and Sisu may quickly evaporate from the public consciousness.
Haven't seen the movie, but it's my understanding that it didn't do well in China, the biggest Asian market. So I don't see Disney caring too much about it. Furthermore, Raya, as a princess, lacks marketing potential. It has no songs; it has no handsome prince; it has no stunning dress to sell; it has an extremely skinny dragon toy that kids can't hug easily as they go to bed. I feel that Raya was just made to fill Disney's diversity quota. It was never meant to be a big success. That's why they never bothered to even put a song or a dress in it. The chance of any failed movie becoming popular later is remote.

On the other hand, Elena, the latina princess, doesn't even have a movie. Elena is just a spinoff TV show on Disney Junior. WDW just pushed her into a princess status by force, and pushed her bright red puffy dress everywhere in WDW for a while there. So you never know what Disney is going to do.

Overall, I don't believe Raya will be pushed up like Elena, mostly because Raya doesn't have a dress to sell. There's already Mulan for the Asian princess requirement (who also doesn't have a dress to sell, and who is not near as popular as Jasmine or Anna or the ugly stepsisters in WDW), so there's no real need for Raya.

LovePop

I'm surprised some people on this website seem to really hate the movie. That's totally fine if you feel that way, I just completely disagree. In comparison to Disney movies of the past decade, I personally liked Raya better than Frozen II, Ralph Breaks the Internet, Wreck-it-Ralph, Brave, Winnie the Pooh, Finding Dory, Monsters University, the Cars sequels and The Good Dinosaur. While I think Soul and Luca are probably better-written films, I enjoyed the general concept and characters and setting of RatLD more.
Not hate, just not interested enough to pay to watch it. Will watch it when it's available to me for free, like when it shows up on the Disney Channel.

LovePop

Raya's going the way of Pocahontas.

I honestly think Disney has a different IP in mind for Adventureland depending upon it's success. And DAK's currently locked awaiting changes in Dinoland and Rafikis. So both of those "options" are out. I think this one's done. Of course, the biggest prerequisite is that it be a behemoth commercial success. It wasn't. Short of M&G I think it unlikely.
Now that you mention it, I've never seen Pocahontas at WDW.

aliceismad

Haven't seen the movie, but it's my understanding that it didn't do well in China, the biggest Asian market. So I don't see Disney caring too much about it. Furthermore, Raya, as a princess, lacks marketing potential. It has no songs; it has no handsome prince; it has no stunning dress to sell; it has an extremely skinny dragon toy that kids can't hug easily as they go to bed. I feel that Raya was just made to fill Disney's diversity quota. It was never meant to be a big success. That's why they never bothered to even put a song or a dress in it. The chance of any failed movie becoming popular later is remote.

On the other hand, Elena, the latina princess, doesn't even have a movie. Elena is just a spinoff TV show on Disney Junior. WDW just pushed her into a princess status by force, and pushed her bright red puffy dress everywhere in WDW for a while there. So you never know what Disney is going to do.

Overall, I don't believe Raya will be pushed up like Elena, mostly because Raya doesn't have a dress to sell. There's already Mulan for the Asian princess requirement (who also doesn't have a dress to sell, and who is not near as popular as Jasmine or Anna or the ugly stepsisters in WDW), so there's no real need for Raya.
One princess is sufficient to represent an entire continent of people? OK.

Also, not all kids want a handsome prince - do we really need to sexualize young kids? And not all kids want a stunning dress. My kid desperately wanted Raya's sword on a recent Target trip.

As for the squishable plushie - I bought it - https://www.shopdisney.com/baby-tuk...ccsqte2tkPQtaEkI9NhoCO-IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Haven't seen the movie, but it's my understanding that it didn't do well in China, the biggest Asian market.
There's been over 7 Billion minutes of viewing of Raya on D+ (1.7 Billion minutes while it was pay to view).

In the past 25 weeks, Nielsen has had it in the top ten streamed movies for 22 weeks.

On top of that premium take it made, it garnered an additional $130M world wide. It had a budget of $100M, so, it made a profit.

Raya received a CinemaScore of an A.

It has a Tomatometer of 94%. Combined critics rate it 75. Combined audiences rate it 75. Those are fantastic scores.

Disney knows that Raya didn't show in China and takes that into account. Indeed, that is why there is a Raya M&G in Hong Kong. She is popular.

So... by any metric one wants to consider, Raya was popular and successful.

You should see the movie. Also, do some fact checking before you post.

Overall, I don't believe Raya will be pushed up like Elena, mostly because Raya doesn't have a dress to sell.

pdude81

Raya is a good movie but I don't see them creating a ride for her. If they could figure out a way for us to ride Tuk Tuk around a desert, even in some kind of a black box situation, it would be pretty popular.

Dan Deesnee

There's been over 7 Billion minutes of viewing of Raya on D+ (1.7 Billion minutes while it was pay to view).

In the past 25 weeks, Nielsen has had it in the top ten streamed movies for 22 weeks.

On top of that premium take it made, it garnered an additional $130M world wide. It had a budget of $100M, so, it made a profit.

Raya received a CinemaScore of an A.

It has a Tomatometer of 94%. Combined critics rate it 75. Combined audiences rate it 75. Those are fantastic scores.

Disney knows that Raya didn't show in China and takes that into account. Indeed, that is why there is a Raya M&G in Hong Kong. She is popular.

So... by any metric one wants to consider, Raya was popular and successful.

You should see the movie. Also, do some fact checking before you post.

It was a disappointment.

Budget is unknown, at "100 million +". The average animated movie of that quality typically comes in around 150 million or so. General rule of thumb is a movie needs to make a minimum of 2x it's production budget. Even if Rya made 150 million box office and 150 million in streaming revenue (it didn't, not even close) it still wouldn't be a success.

Disney doesn't make movies to break even, these movies need to drive massive box office numbers and big Disney+ subscriber bumps. Rya was about 30-40% lower on subscriber bump and paid streams than Mulan. But don't take any data you find in streaming statistics to heart unless provided directly by Disney. That data is usually not released.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was a disappointment.

Budget is unknown, at "100 million +". The average animated movie of that quality typically comes in around 150 million or so. General rule of thumb is a movie needs to make a minimum of 2x it's production budget. Even if Rya made 150 million box office and 150 million in streaming revenue (it didn't, not even close) it still wouldn't be a success.

Disney doesn't make movies to break even, these movies need to drive massive box office numbers and big Disney+ subscriber bumps. Rya was about 30-40% lower on subscriber bump and paid streams than Mulan. But don't take any data you find in streaming statistics to heart unless provided directly by Disney. That data is usually not released.
"We don't anything, but I can say you're wrong... even though we don't know anything."

Ok, then. Have a good day.

Dan Deesnee

"We don't anything, but I can say you're wrong... even though we don't know anything."

Ok, then. Have a good day.

I don't get what you're saying. We know plenty, it cost at least 100 million. It made 130 million.

If we ignore streaming data, which is iffy, it was still a disappointment for Disney. Simple as that.

High rotten tomatoes scores don't always equal box office success.

Namaari

One princess is sufficient to represent an entire continent of people? OK.

Also, not all kids want a handsome prince - do we really need to sexualize young kids? And not all kids want a stunning dress. My kid desperately wanted Raya's sword on a recent Target trip.

As for the squishable plushie - I bought it - https://www.shopdisney.com/baby-tuk...ccsqte2tkPQtaEkI9NhoCO-IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Lol, right? If we're going by Disney having a "princess quota" to satisfy an entire race or ethnic group, then sorry white folks, no more princesses for you 😂

You lost all credibility at " This is the movie Brave should have been"
I Cant GIF
Agreed! I love Brave.. I also liked the Raya movie but not near as much as Brave.

cookiee_munster

I kind of hate the fact that for anything IP based that goes into the parks (and it's pretty much all that's happening right now) the film (or whatever) has to rake in a phenomenal amount of revenue to even be considered first.

Looking past the controversial aspects of the actual film, The Song of The South wasn't much of a heavily well-known film around the time Splash Mountain was opened. The film is probably well known now more for the controversy that surrounds it than the characters and story. But still, it's still one hell of a popular attraction, and it goes to show that whatever overlay an attraction has, if it's a ride, show or "whatever", people will ride it regardless if it features a princess or a frog (or both)

I liked Raya. Had it had been made in the 90s during the renaissance, I think it would have been just as popular as the sleuth of films that came out during that period and probably would have got a ride at some point.

From an armchair imagineering perspective, nothing from the film really stands out to me and makes me think "that would make a really cool ride"

Although, show wise, I do think that they could have implemented the dragons from Raya into Animal Kingoms current Kite Tails show and not only bringing some kind of cultural tradition to the show but also making the show look less clunky and daft as it does now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom