Does everyone plan way in advance?

DfromATX

Original Poster
Honestly, I wouldn't have discouraged your cousin the way it seems you did unless she really really cares and would have a trip ruined by not going to a specific restaurant...and I guess to that I'd say if your trip is ruined by not getting to eat at a specific restaurant to look at the bigger picture. You are in Disney World. It's hard to not have a good time. If I can still get things literally days in advance, I would guess there are definitely some workable options for 2-3 months in advance. *shrug*

Huh? How did I discourage her? I think you took this way too seriously. And no, if I couldn't eat at particular restaurant, it wouldn't ruin my trip. I'd simply find some other place to eat, no biggie! :)

Florida_is_hot

Really a year and a half some people plan?
How do they have any fun?

I am not so up tight I need to plan in advance every thing I am going to to for 5 - 7 days that is stress.

Oh my I can not get a fast pass because I need to make my booking at .....
Drive me crazy.

I call or go online a week maybe two in advanced.

Get there wake up the first morning have no idea which park I go to until I get there.
Get lunch, whenever I feel like it at what every place I feel like eating at the time.
Attractions, line is short .... sure may as well go for it. *That is why I hate the wrist strap idea

It is called freedom and it is a wonderful thing.

Club Cooloholic

You can totally plan ahead in just a few days. Maybe not as many options but a lot of people will be no shows or cancel too. They just need to be open to new places

SyracuseOrange

I don't have kids, so I usually book with about a month's notice. (I'm going next week, and I only booked this 10 days out.)

I now usually fly down alone and meet up with CM friends, but when I go with other friends from home I usually plan a few more months in advance. But the idea of planning more than 3-4 months in advance is CRAZY to me. I can barely even plan what I'm doing tomorrow.

But I am a very flexible person, I never book ADRs, and I don't have kids :)

Weather_Lady

Really a year and a half some people plan?
How do they have any fun?

I am not so up tight I need to plan in advance every thing I am going to to for 5 - 7 days that is stress.

Oh my I can not get a fast pass because I need to make my booking at .....
Drive me crazy.

I call or go online a week maybe two in advanced.

Get there wake up the first morning have no idea which park I go to until I get there.
Get lunch, whenever I feel like it at what every place I feel like eating at the time.
Attractions, line is short .... sure may as well go for it. *That is why I hate the wrist strap idea

It is called freedom and it is a wonderful thing.

Just so you know how the other half lives: some of us live many hundreds of miles away from Walt Disney World, have to save up for a couple of years between trips, and enjoy the anticipation of waiting for our departure day to arrive, savoring the possibilities of what we can do there and yes, making actual reservations ahead of time so we can relax and enjoy ourselves on vacation, knowing we planned ahead. There is no panic, no stress. It's fun. Nor do we judge others who decide to take a different approach.

It is called delayed gratification and it is a wonderful thing.

jrogue

Except it has pushed into the realm of punishing those who do not, dining being the biggest example.
Do they leave any kind of reserved space for walk-ups? It seems unfair that they would only take the people who have reservations and be too full for last minute meal decisions :(

lazyboy97o

Huh? How did I discourage her? I think you took this way too seriously. And no, if I couldn't eat at particular restaurant, it wouldn't ruin my trip. I'd simply find some other place to eat, no biggie! :)
You're whole original post complete with the :rolleyes: emoticon at the end.

Do they leave any kind of reserved space for walk-ups? It seems unfair that they would only take the people who have reservations and be too full for last minute meal decisions :(
It depends on many factors from which restaurant to time of year to time of day. I rarely have an issue since I tend to be there at odd times and am usually in a party of two. But more and more Disney is opting to not take walk ups because they scheduled only for the reservations. The Dining Plan has only compounded this issue. It has an inflated value by offer table service but in turn has driven up prices for those not on the plan and also reduced the menu offerings. So Disney has pushed more people to table service by making it "affordable" because they will plan and then Disney can schedule based on their plans instead of guessing who might show up where and when.

foreverbelle

We book pretty far in advance, and plan our ADRs at the 180 point, but other than that we don't plan everything down to the minute.

And we have been known to book about a month or two out once or twice and been just as successful at the same time, just had to be willing to go a little more with the flow when you do. And that is fine with us.

MarkTwain

Try being a local/cast member and spontaneously deciding as a group to go out for dinner at a park after a shift that day. You won't being getting into Le Cellier or Chef Mickey's but you'll find there are options if you ask around enough. At various times, and after some asking, we once found walk-ins for Sci-Fi Dine-In, San Angel Inn, Teppan Edo, Tutto Italia and Tony's Town Square Ristorante. Not bad dining options by any means; it just requires a little flexibility. I don't think we were ever once shut out entirely from being able to find a single TSR. A little table service preference certainly isn't worth postponing an entire trip over IMO.

Britt

Totally agree with @MarkTwain!!!

I would call them back and invite them along. Tell em you'll call some of the places and see if they can get on some of them. Or get in contact with a Disney Travel Agent...they're "miracle" workers for sure and may be able to get them some awesome deals!

All Disney All The Time

We book a couple of months ahead of time for a room and that's the extent of our advance planning. We've eaten at every signature restaurant at one time or another and now we don't do ADR unless the whole clan is coming along and then the seafood buffet at BC, Shula's Steakhouse, and the Hoop-Di-Doo are mandatory. When it's just the 2 of us we go with the flow and frequently eat at the bar at places like Rainforest or the brewery at Boardwalk. Same menu, virtually never a wait, and most times great conversation with the bartenders. One of the most memorable of those was eating at the bar at Planet Hollywood. Good seafood that nite, great Bloody Marys and the 2 bartenders working at the time were congenial and hilarious. One of them was from Puerto Rico and kept us rolling with stories of her experiences with "foreign" tourists. I sat right next to a Ted Williams autographed bat and as the biggest BoSox fan in the world that made it even better.

Tink0102

Have they been before? Would they really want to eat at really popular TS places? I could see doing a spur of the moment trip and stay with CS eating. Actually, I was just looking at Tony's availability for when we'll be there and I recently made an ADR for La Hacienda, but I wouldn't even think of trying for 'Ohana.

They just released discounts for the second half of June, so there's a chance to save money there. So, the real question is how much do you like your cousin!! :p
Where can I find info on this discount? I just looked on their site and didnt see it.

mergatroid

We fly from the UK and come to stay for 3 weeks every year. We have a house in Haines City to stay so only need to book our flights. Due to getting time off work we usually book flights around 11 months in advance as they are usually cheaper at this point. If we waited till a couple of weeks before the trip the flights would be cheaper still but also may be sold out. Last year we made dinner reservations at The Rose & Crown in Epcot to coincide with Illuminations 6 months in advance (the earliest opportunity) and will be doing it again in a couple of weeks for our October trip this year. Those are the only resevations we make in advance but every year we make same day reservations or just walk up and wait for a table at the Sci-Fi Dine in Theatre before taking in Fantasmic on our last night usually, we have never not got a table.

lazyboy97o

That's strange... I don't recall posting any part of my conversation with her, but if you say so...
You don't need to post the conversation. You conveyed your thoughts in a manner that seems to consider anything less than your level of planning to be insufficient. There is a tone and it doesn't read as one of encouraging the trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom