Does everyone plan way in advance?

lazyboy97o

"punishing" is kind of a strong word here dont ya think....WDW is what? the number one resort destination in the US? millions of people go each year and to keep everything rolling smooth, especially those same millions of people eating, (which is kind of a big thing) the need to plan everyones meals 6 months ahead of time is a great idea.....the vast majority of people i would think, do some research into going, and as such, plan accordingly. If you show up at sci fi dine in theater with no reservation in the spring or summer, you need to plan better....
It's not a result of pure numbers, but the organization of the system, particularly through the Disney Dining Plan. It's about doing what's easier for Disney and pushing people to cut down table service is easier because they get to know the needed staffing levels.

harveyt0206

My husband and I usually start planning our next trip as soon as our current trip is over. We had no intention of going together in 2013 because he is taking a boys trip out west with his brother in August. A few weeks ago we made a last minute decision to take a short trip in April. We are only doing counter service though, so fortunately I didn't have to stress over dining reservations.

mcurtiss

I had as much fun at my ADRs as I did noshing on flatbread pizza at Pinocchios. ADRs are not the be all/end all of WDW fun.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This past year's trip I was intent on making full use of my Deluxe Dining Credits (I normally end up with quite a few left over at the end)...so I booked a LOT of ADRs. At least two a day.

I found that I didn't enjoy it. I found the ADRs started forcing our plans, instead of what the kid and I wanted to do. It also didn't help if weather didn't cooperate, or we found we had to rush between parks and even forgo rides.

This next year I'll do a few choice ADRs of places that are hard to get into, and otherwise, leave it wide open.

Pooh'sBuddy

Bottom line, since they haven't been, I think they need an orientation session to learn how big WDW is, to learn about the Parks, resort options, eating options and the attractions to maximize their understanding and enjoyment of the Parks. That totally depends on how quickly they can pick it up and how badly they want to go. WDW will still be there next year.

Goofyernmost

"punishing" is kind of a strong word here dont ya think....WDW is what? the number one resort destination in the US? millions of people go each year and to keep everything rolling smooth, especially those same millions of people eating, (which is kind of a big thing) the need to plan everyones meals 6 months ahead of time is a great idea.....the vast majority of people i would think, do some research into going, and as such, plan accordingly. If you show up at sci fi dine in theater with no reservation in the spring or summer, you need to plan better....
You see, we think differently on that point. I think that the majority do not plan. They are usually first timers and do not really know that you need too, or think that it is necessary. Surely, they will find a way to feed me if I have the money. They don't really know the difference between one restaurant or the other and are used to just going and waiting for a table if it is crowded. I know that I have tried at different times to get into a restaurant in a park without an ADR and was flat told that it was a "no ticky, no service" situation.

I know it was probably necessary to do it that way to avoid to many people at one establishment and none at others, but I don't trust it. Many years ago I ran a weekly shopping paper. We had a front page available to sell advertising on. Of course, it was a premium location and cost much more then the standard rate. We managed to sell it most of the time, but far to many times it was run with a generic in-house ad. One day we got the idea to "reserve" the front page up to a year in advance first come first served and like magic we were booked throughout the entire year in less then two weeks. Artificially made demand works like a charm, but it was just incentive and not a value that was any higher then it had been before. People are funny actually.

DfromATX

Original Poster
There will definitely be reservations still available, but not for the high-demand restaurants. We just decided to go on April 8th a couple months ago and we were able to get Raglan Road, 'Ohana (9pm was the only available time), Biergarten, and Olivia's. We weren't able to get Be Our Guest, Chef Mickey's, or Cinderella's Royal Table.

Anyway, I know how you feel. We've been planning to meet my cousin, her husband, and their 3 kids while we're there. They wanted to get together for dinner, but I had to bug the crap out of them for over a month to get them to tell me what day they wanted to go! They're going with the dining plan and haven't made any ADRs! :confused: They've been before, but never with DDP. I've told them over and over that they should really make ADRs if they want to get into their first choice restaurants! I'm sure they'll flip out when they see the BOG line for lunch!

You should just try walking in to Chef Mickey's. We did that once with no problem.

DfromATX

Original Poster
My planning is pretty much what day for each park and dinner ADRs, but I do like to start early, but that's due to my excitement. My boss goes a lot too and he is a hardcore planner - he even maps out what rides they go on! It doesn't surprise me though knowing his personality. :rolleyes:

WED99

I booked my last trip 5 weeks before I went, and that includes plane tickets, hotels and WDW.

It was better that way, no 6 months of anticipation. It was basically paid for then we were out the door.

rufio

You should just try walking in to Chef Mickey's. We did that once with no problem.

We may try that! Our problem is that we're doing breakfast the morning we're leaving and we're staying at OKW so it's a little out of the way, but maybe I can talk DH into it!

HouCuseChickie

OK...I personally like to plan as far in advance as possible, but it's not for everyone nor is it practical for every trip. I mean, sometimes it's pretty darn close to just pack your stuff and go for some people.

In fact, I have a coworker who just checked in today...she booked her trip about 2 weeks ago. No ADRs...no real desire for them either.

While not quite as drastic, I have a friend who booked a few weeks ago and is going in May...so not quite last minute, but also well past the 180 mark. Her times may not be ideal and she hasn't been able to get CRT yet, but over the last week or so she's booked Chef Mickey's, 'Ohana dinner and breakfast, 1900 PF, Akershus, and several other decent things. And she's willing to stalk a bit, so she might be able to upgrade times before they travel in May.

luv

It is totally possible to take last-minute trips. I've decided to go and left the same day. :)

You can still eat in good restaurants, too. You may or may not be able to get the most popular ones, but unless it is one of the busiest times of the year (and even then, depending on the park), you can eat in good restaurants.

Planning a couple MONTHS out?! Entirely doable. :D

828tnt

Ok I'm scared to ask, why did you giggle? :oops:

Just that most on here, myself included, are big planners. (And enjoy it). We are on a fan site lol. :)

Or many of us have experienced trying to make dinner reservations at noon 180 days out, and have been shut out lol.

bubbles1812

I'm going in June. I've had my trip booked since probably November or December and of course I booked my ADR's right at the 180-day mark. (Cause you have to!)

So my cousin emailed me 3 DAYS AGO and asked when we were going and maybe they might like to come too. Is it possible to book a Disney vacation on such short notice? I'm certain dining reservations would not be available, except maybe odd ball times, not the good places anyway. (Right?) But, maybe some people don't care about those things. She said she would think about it some more and let me know for sure.

Needless to say, I wasn't surprised when she told me later they might try to go next year. :rolleyes:
I went in mid February. My mom and I booked 6 days in advance. So yes, it is very possible to book on "such short notice" considering your "short notice" is a few months in advance. Yes some of the more popular restaurants were booked but I can go one trip without Le Cellier easily. It isn't that good. There were actually quite a few ADR times available for a vast majority of restaurants, even the ones around Epcot and definitely at the resorts. I had an excellent dinner at both La Cantina (or whatever it's called inside Mexico) and the Rose & Crown (which we actually got the time for during Illuminations). We were also able to schedule a character breakfast at Y&BC with no problems at all.

Honestly, I wouldn't have discouraged your cousin the way it seems you did unless she really really cares and would have a trip ruined by not going to a specific restaurant...and I guess to that I'd say if your trip is ruined by not getting to eat at a specific restaurant to look at the bigger picture. You are in Disney World. It's hard to not have a good time. If I can still get things literally days in advance, I would guess there are definitely some workable options for 2-3 months in advance. *shrug*

Would suggest you maybe encourage them to take a second look. It might be nice. They can schedule what they can schedule while you keep whatever you've booked. That way you get individual family time as well as all together time. And since they've never been, I'm guessing it would be nice to be with your family to "show them the ropes" for the next time they visit if they like it.

Also, if she were worried about flights or hotel rooms... There are always flights to Orlando. Only place I could maybe see her getting stuck was if she wanted to stay at the Values. They were full when we booked our 6 days in advance, except for AoA, though I'd guess 2-3 months out wouldn't be much of an issue. And I'm glad they were full actually. We ended up at the Dolphin instead with a great deal. And not a lot beats being at one of the Epcot resorts with Epcot, DHS, and Boardwalk all about 10 minutes away :)

DfromATX

Original Poster
I booked my last trip 5 weeks before I went, and that includes plane tickets, hotels and WDW.

It was better that way, no 6 months of anticipation. It was basically paid for then we were out the door.

But the 6 months of anticipation is part of the fun! :p

DfromATX

Original Poster
Just that most on here, myself included, are big planners. (And enjoy it). We are on a fan site lol. :)

Or many of us have experienced trying to make dinner reservations at noon 180 days out, and have been shut out lol.

Yep! I assumed all of "us" were big planners, but you see from the different posts that is not always the case. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom