Does Disney Have Potter?

disneydawg

I think Harry Potter and Disney are a great fit. I'd love to see an attraction based on the series. I think a 3-D ride thru like SpiderMan would be great. That way you could hit alot of the great scenes in the book whereas something like a coaster would limit your options.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
One thing that may help this idea is that it offers endless merchandising ideas. Given that USF were willing to loose Kong because of merchandising perhaps this is now one of the biggest factors. look at Poo. (not literaly I was refering to the attraction)

Jekyll

According to Mugglenet.com, Disney does have rights to Potter. According to this site,, (which in my opinion has all the inside dirt on potter) Disney has plans for a Harry Potter ride at Epcot coming by 2006. Anyone else here anything about it.

-J

Davis224

It should definately go into the U.K. pavilion of the park.

It is a worldwide phenomenon, but it was born in the U.K. Plus, the U.K. section of Epcot could really use a big boost, i'm sick of seeing Beatles merchandise and that's about it.
Don't get me wrong, i love the Beatles, have most of their albulms, but enough is enough.

Imagineer_Matt

They could be planning to use the Stage opposite the American Adventure to do the Harry Potter Stunt Spectacular, where they have actors showing how the majority of the stunts were done, while having a running storyline of "audience members" getting posessed by Voldemort, and then there will be a huge battle at the end. Also, there could be small shows like the sword in the stone show at MK, where they have the kids doing magic lessons like charms, transfiguration, potions, and other lessons. OR maybe not. :animwink: :animwink: :animwink:

Jekyll

Personally, I am hopeful that Disney did get the rights. There was a press conference (non disney related) Where someone for either universal or WB said disney tied it up already. I think if anyone could do a great attration for HP it is Disney

eclipseSD

Is DisneyCorner a reliable website?

Here are the contradictions so far:

From Theme Park Insider:

Every once in awhile Universal Orlando President Bob Gault holds a “Lunch with Bob” question and answer session. Middle and upper management types sit around and pepper Mr. Gault with questions regarding various projects and ideas. Mr. Gault responds and then assigns people to follow up on promising suggestions

On Thursday, July 3rd, Mr. Gault hosted one such question and answer session. The minutes from the meeting were circulated among various personnel at Uninersal Orlando.

While there were several interesting questions, Gault’s answer to one particular inquiiry was especially notable.

Question: Has Universal pursued ‘Lord of the Rings’ or Harry Potter?

Gaults’ answer: “Disney has Harry Potter wrapped up. We will check into ‘Lord of the Rings.’

From an IOA Central poster(an "insider") in March, regarding the 3rd Universal park:

True, the entire park will not be based on the Harry Potter franchise alone but I can tell you that Hogwarts Castle will be the parks signature 'weenie'. As beautiful as Cinderella Castle is Hogwarts, from what I have heard will be something truly special. Lord of the Rings will definitely play an intricate part of Universal's next park but remember the Harry Potter franchise has a very long ways to go before completion. By the time this mythical thrid park is completed you might be able to walk through the gates of the park and have the compete story of Harry hit the big screen.

Between you and me guys, you don't know how close The Simpsons actually came to having a home at Islands of Adventure.

Universal does have all theme park rights to both franchises and I do understand your reluctance towards the whole Potter shindig as it is not geared towards the age bracket of this board (of course I'm assuming most here are teenagers to young adult males). Universal though sees this oppertunity to really take Mickey to town and steal the child demographic from Disney. While you may not be interested in Harry, millions apon millions of young children love the young wizard. Imagine a massive, enchanting castle floating in mist as the theme to Harry Potter swells around you. If done right, Universal Creative has a chance to really out do Disney. Some of the attraction possiblities I've heard are simply amazing! (Of course I can't tell, sorry guys) Now also expect something truly amazing when Universal tackles the LOTR franchise too, Universal knows this is also a gold mine. I'm sure Peter Jackson will also be tapped to help design and create Middle Earth, Mordor, the Shire, Mt. Doom, Helm's Deep ect... who knows what will happen.

As far as The Simpsons are concerned, imagine a crazy bus ride with Auto as you try and save the Simpsons from I belive it was Mr. Burns. That was a good six years ago that I first heard of this so excuse me if I forget some of the goodies. I do think Toon Lagoon was originally to be based on cartoons not comic book charcaters. I don't think a seperate area was ever designed for Springfield.

From Jim Hill:

Speaking of Peter Jackson: Here's one reason that Disney's infamous Imagineers envy the folks at Universal Creative: Universal has the theme park rights to use all of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" characters to build new shows and rides around. And here's another reason why Mickey gets jealous whenever anyone ever brings up Universal: You know J.K. Rowling's highly popular "Harry Potter" series. Universal Studios has the theme park rights to all of those characters as well.

From DisneyCorner:

Harry Potter Attraction Unknown I 2006

CTXRover

Originally posted by eclipseSD
Is DisneyCorner a reliable website?

Here are the contradictions so far:

From Theme Park Insider:

Every once in awhile Universal Orlando President Bob Gault holds a “Lunch with Bob” question and answer session. Middle and upper management types sit around and pepper Mr. Gault with questions regarding various projects and ideas. Mr. Gault responds and then assigns people to follow up on promising suggestions

On Thursday, July 3rd, Mr. Gault hosted one such question and answer session. The minutes from the meeting were circulated among various personnel at Uninersal Orlando.

While there were several interesting questions, Gault’s answer to one particular inquiiry was especially notable.

Question: Has Universal pursued ‘Lord of the Rings’ or Harry Potter?

Gaults’ answer: “Disney has Harry Potter wrapped up. We will check into ‘Lord of the Rings.’

From an IOA Central poster(an "insider") in March, regarding the 3rd Universal park:

True, the entire park will not be based on the Harry Potter franchise alone but I can tell you that Hogwarts Castle will be the parks signature 'weenie'. As beautiful as Cinderella Castle is Hogwarts, from what I have heard will be something truly special. Lord of the Rings will definitely play an intricate part of Universal's next park but remember the Harry Potter franchise has a very long ways to go before completion. By the time this mythical thrid park is completed you might be able to walk through the gates of the park and have the compete story of Harry hit the big screen.

Between you and me guys, you don't know how close The Simpsons actually came to having a home at Islands of Adventure.

Universal does have all theme park rights to both franchises and I do understand your reluctance towards the whole Potter shindig as it is not geared towards the age bracket of this board (of course I'm assuming most here are teenagers to young adult males). Universal though sees this oppertunity to really take Mickey to town and steal the child demographic from Disney. While you may not be interested in Harry, millions apon millions of young children love the young wizard. Imagine a massive, enchanting castle floating in mist as the theme to Harry Potter swells around you. If done right, Universal Creative has a chance to really out do Disney. Some of the attraction possiblities I've heard are simply amazing! (Of course I can't tell, sorry guys) Now also expect something truly amazing when Universal tackles the LOTR franchise too, Universal knows this is also a gold mine. I'm sure Peter Jackson will also be tapped to help design and create Middle Earth, Mordor, the Shire, Mt. Doom, Helm's Deep ect... who knows what will happen.

As far as The Simpsons are concerned, imagine a crazy bus ride with Auto as you try and save the Simpsons from I belive it was Mr. Burns. That was a good six years ago that I first heard of this so excuse me if I forget some of the goodies. I do think Toon Lagoon was originally to be based on cartoons not comic book charcaters. I don't think a seperate area was ever designed for Springfield.

From Jim Hill:

Speaking of Peter Jackson: Here's one reason that Disney's infamous Imagineers envy the folks at Universal Creative: Universal has the theme park rights to use all of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" characters to build new shows and rides around. And here's another reason why Mickey gets jealous whenever anyone ever brings up Universal: You know J.K. Rowling's highly popular "Harry Potter" series. Universal Studios has the theme park rights to all of those characters as well.

From DisneyCorner:

Harry Potter Attraction Unknown I 2006

You do bring up some very interesting contradicitons. I too was under the assumption Universal had Harry Potter ride rights. Most of that came from what you've posted above. However, I think that it is possible that things have changed since those things were posted at IOA central and Jim Hill. If Universal execs are confirming that Disney has Harry Potter rights it is possible something fell through with Universal's rights to HP and Disney jumped on the opportunity. I don't deny that Universal had HP rights, but I think they lost them to Disney. Interesting. :)

MKCustodial

Originally posted by CTXRover
You do bring up some very interesting contradicitons. I too was under the assumption Universal had Harry Potter ride rights. Most of that came from what you've posted above. However, I think that it is possible that things have changed since those things were posted at IOA central and Jim Hill. If Universal execs are confirming that Disney has Harry Potter rights it is possible something fell through with Universal's rights to HP and Disney jumped on the opportunity. I don't deny that Universal had HP rights, but I think they lost them to Disney. Interesting. :)

Well, the posts about Universal seem to indicate they're talking about the movie franchise. If so, Universal would've dealt directly with Warner. All this wouldn't prevent Disney to deal directly with JK Rowling or whatever publisher has the rights in the States and get the book rights. As long as they don't use the movie style for the castle, the school, etc., they wouldn't have problems.

mr snrub

if they make a potter attraction, they better not spend too much money cuz after a few years people would lose interest in it.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mr snrub
if they make a potter attraction, they better not spend too much money cuz after a few years people would lose interest in it.

You think? I'd consider that if there were only the books, and even though people are too lazy to read, the Harry Potter series has always been a best-seller. But with the movies? This a franchise as big as any other... Give it time, wait for the 10 yeard olds that atarted together with Harry to get to their 20s and 30s and you'll have a group as powerful as the trekkies or the Star Wars fans.

Tigggrl

Not to mention that I was watching a collectibles show the other day, and they said that the Harry Potter toys and such were a good investment in the long run.......

sy278

Originally posted by HebeJebe
Christopher Columbus is not directing the 3rd movie and none of the actors are signed on for anything past the third movie. I'm not sure where I'm going with this but I think that has to be taken into consideration.

All three of the trio have now signed on for the 4th movie

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by MKCustodial
Well, the posts about Universal seem to indicate they're talking about the movie franchise. If so, Universal would've dealt directly with Warner. All this wouldn't prevent Disney to deal directly with JK Rowling or whatever publisher has the rights in the States and get the book rights. As long as they don't use the movie style for the castle, the school, etc., they wouldn't have problems.

That's why I think it'd be wise to, for example, base any attraction on perhaps the fifth book, and have the ride open before movie production starts--that way it would be Warner Bros, not Disney, that would have to worry about not copying the other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom