Does Disney hate toddlers?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I run a travel agency and my team has booked many trips over the years, and we specialize in Disney - and I have never heard of a 1 adult per 1 infant rule - but I will ask my team - a few of them have twins and other children, many traveled while they were all infants.

I'll let you know.
I can confirm that such a rule does exist. All you have to do is input more than a 1 to 1 infant (infant being the key) to adult ratio and you will get this message.

You must have one adult for every infant in your travel party mix. Please correct your travel party mix below.

That rule disappears once the children's ages is 2 or greater.

DisneyJoe

I run a travel agency and my team has booked many trips over the years, and we specialize in Disney - and I have never heard of a 1 adult per 1 infant rule - but I will ask my team - a few of them have twins and other children, many traveled while they were all infants.

I'll let you know.

2 of my agents called WDW and asked, both used a family similar to yours.

One herself has 1 1/2 yo triplets, and they asked Disney if her and her husband could bring their triplets as well as their 4 and 7 yo nieces. The CM didn't even hesitate and answered Yes and started to describe the different resort options.

Another used 10 month old triplets and a 4 and a 6yo, and got the same reply.

2 different CM's, and neither one mentioned a rule about 1 adult per infant.

We've been in business since 2004 booking almost exclusively Disney and never heard this rule you mentioned.

BTW, it would be difficult to price this yourself online, as their online booking engine isn't designed for it, you would need to call - or break up your party into separate rooms with 1 adult per room yourself.

That rule disappears once the children's ages is 2 or greater.

Interesting - I wonder if it only occurs online - because 2 CRO CM's had no issue with it.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Interesting - I wonder if it only occurs online - because 2 CRO CM's had no issue with it.
Like you I had never heard of this until this thread. I would wager that many of the CM's at the DRC have not heard of it either. They might say "yes" now but when it came time to actually book you would hear "I am going to need to call guest services".:D

DisneyJoe

Like you I had never heard of this until this thread. I would wager that many of the CM's at the DRC have not heard of it either. They might say "yes" now but when it came time to actually book you would hear "I am going to need to call guest services".:D

I'm having one of my agents call in and try to get pricing with 1 adult and 3 1yo's in a room.

DisneyJoe

Per my agent Carrie - thanks Carrie for calling in!

"Ok here is the break down - and not once did he mention it would be a problem for one adult and 3 infants to be booked in one room on their own.

Dates Oct. 9-13, 2011
Value Resort - All Star Music
1 Adult, 3 infants ages 1yr
Total: $457.65 "

Apparently it's just an online system rule.

Mammymouse

This posting reminds me about a flight we had going home to RI from Orlando, before we moved to FL. We have flown this carrier every time we went to WDW and probably made 4 roundtrips (8 flights) when our granddaughter was anywhere from 9 months to almost 3 years old. Each time they would call for "families" traveling with young children to pre-board. There was Me, hubby, our daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter, and all 5 of us would go together to pre-board and never was there anyone telling us we couldn't. But on this last trip a "frisky" airport attendant said - oh no you two can't board, only parents and the child can pre-board. We were shocked!! and said we had always boarded with them, helping with the stroller, car seat and carry-ons, etc. Actually hubby and I were our granddaughter's daily babysitters since almost birth when our daughter went back to work, so this denial really upset us. We tried to argue and say no one had ever, ever mentioned this to us, and the attendant said it was policy and that was that. She was not nice about it either and she was quite snappy. We had never and still have never had any airline staff that was that unfriendly and rude - it was so out of character for the airline. Now the plane was only 3/4 full and we were one of only two pre-boarders, so it just didn't make sense to us why she picked on us - see SABOTY, I feel your frustration. I was further concerned that we were going to get kicked off the flight or something because we had said something back to the grouchy attendant. Well now in recent flights with just hubby and me we notice that the attendants call pre-boards and are very explicit about stating who can be in that section - so I think we were probably not an isolated case of being upset on their unenforced and little known at the time policy. But now that we know it - policy is policy and we follow it.

sweetpee_1993

Excellent line! Sorry things worked out poorly for you and your family. If you're looking for an alternative to Disney, Dollywood is really nice.

I dunno. I'm still sorta confuddled on that one. I'm wondering how Mr. Apple is more accommodating to triplets than Mr. Orange or vice versa. It's a figure of speech that apparently the OP didn't appreciate. :shrug: :lol:

I dunno, maybe Dollywood is okay with wagons vs. strollers and isn't particular about shoes on little ones. I think Six Flags is okay with wagons. :shrug:

lebeau

Disney with a toddler can be difficult. No way I'd attempt it with 3 of them. After our last trip with a 1-year old, we vowed not to return until she was potty trained.

I will say this, she was barefoot most of that week. We put shoes on her and she threw them off constantly.

One night at DHS, I had both kids sock-footed as we went from the playground that had just closed to the GMR. They were in a double stroller. But they stayed in their socks until after we finished the GMR.

I guess we just didn't stand out like triplets would have.

Sorry for your bad luck.

vulnadia

i'm going to disney in about a month with my 5yr old triplets-here is what we are doing-we are buying 3 umbrella strollers & will get the connector sets to link them together so that I can take them back to our cabin at ft wilderness by myself if need be- they have the boats/water taxi feature at that resort making it easier on us to access magic kingdom & the transportation center (the hub of getting where you need to go centrally located)
3 normal sized (i'm going for the smallest ones i can find) umbrella strollers should easily measure less than the 36inch requirement which is just basic wheelchair accomodation size-literally any wider & you cant get it up a handicap ramp-been there, done that with my runabout-i also have the blue graco i think is who makes it, limo-sized stroller which i hated because my kids would put on their best punch & judy act or 3stooges act in it-anything to bother each other from early age to present!
not sure how easy it will be with the 3 connecting strollers, but if you have 1yr olds they should easily fit & not put up too much of a fight adding in the developmental delay issues you cited...
as for keeping shoes on- kids always toss them-just smile at whoever gives you grief & say kids, they never can keep their shoes on & leave it at that-they should leave you alone afterwards, if not, they are probably triplet stalker types & want more info or to just gawk-yes to those who dont have multiples this is a HUGE problem for us...we get treated like the animals in the zoo & are often followed, have people throw themselves in front of us just to stare, sometimes they say ugly awful things about & to us over our kids & our kids realize it after a certain point & it creeps the kids out & makes them cry ruining whatever we were out trying to do in the first place!!! people are awful & not everyone is ready to offer accomodations for higher order multiples- to combat the firecode issue, book 2 rooms if you want, or get a suite or stay at the allstar-you can play around with different reservations on the site til you are happy with what you end up with-ours kept kicking us back to the cabins @ ft wilderness-it has the boatride option access which i love-my kids will get a kick out of it, we get our own trailer sized type spot with no wall-sharing so my kids can be obnoxious all they want & scream (i have one with full blown sensory integration disorder & he will be getting his gac for certain to protect those who would stare or be peeved over his groping grabbing or getting cuddly in the line-he is five & either makes new friends in a way that some folks are not happy with-he likes textures & ran his hand up someone's leg in line once when he was very small before we knew he had the sensory probs-they took it well, another instance someone in line freaked totally even though he was a toddler...he also gets overwhelmed by crowds (think similar to claustrophobia but different) & he tends to meltdown & tune the world out into fits of epic flailing arms & legs proportions-he cannot help himself & i do everything i can to head these off before it gets past the point of no return, but sometimes there are triggers i cannot forsee or even fathom & it just happens!!! im petrified of the well-meaning outside help, the idea that it the gac may get us uwanted attention from the mundanes & that my other kids will realize what is going on & say something back-they are 5 afterall!!! but i'm going to try this anyways- the resort is good for us & it will be a learning experience!!!
like i said, i ran into options for our triplet problem but the solutions were there if I played in the system enough! if you dont find something that works for you, just call the reps & explain the situation -AFTER you've calmed down- i freaked at first when mine were little & we kicked around all of us going on a school trip with my eldest who was 11 at the time-i stayed home because the trio were 1...things have changed since then, for the better- i soo get the wagon & length prohibitions on strollers though- had some old man actually turn around & almost sit in my limo-length stroller which would have crushed kian literally...he just got overwhelmed by the magnitude i guess & lost his balance-i caught him thankfully because it was walmart & there was nowhere to go, no way to turn the stroller away from them easily without tipping (they are anything but aerodynamic & most dont even have brakes on them if they do they dont work well!) i dont want anyone hurting my kids period-people already mow over them because they dont look down (usualy those who dont have kids of their own & they get mad because the kid was there) or folks seperate us when we are walking together-think redrover only adults forcefully seperating little hands being held trying to stay together in a crowd!!! so its scary even when they are older!!!
we have a dining plan & i purposefully downgraded to quickservice(it was free for regular) so we wouldnt have to worry about wait or meltdowns at the tableservices or having to leave because our kid melted down or my others were doing a comedy act which does happen because it might disturb others- sure i'm mindful of most situations, but in a kid-oriented spot i tend to err on the side of its for the kids & mine are beingkids-so deal with it...you were a kid once too & were tolerated rule of thumb- i may be a horrid mom, so sue me!!! i'm lucky in this case now though, my eldest is 16 & he sorta counts as an adult -i sure did my ride homework before deciding this was a go for us-a 14+child counts on rides as an adult enough to ride with younger kids making more rides accessible for my 5yr olds...hooray!!!
anyways, thats my triplet disney gameplan & we leave in a little over a month-will let you know how it goes if you want!!! anyone with ideas or even things that might not work in my gameplan please let me know so i can adjust! i'm not expecting royal treatment, but I have worked really hard to make this doable for my family of 6, 3 of which happen to be barely 5 one with asd/sensory disorder (the sensory is diagnosed the asd is in the proces-they are working towards aspie)...

vulnadia

& remember folks, triplets are people too-& not all of us can afford a nanny ...not all of us have grandmothers who can help us (we are fresh out entirely) & we just want to do normal people things too!!! they are multiples, they dont have the plague & should not be made to stay at home until they can blend with the singletons of the world & appear "normal"
we are not jon+kate or octomom...we do not get tv perks or anything...we are just normal people!!!

kellygirl

We just spent 7 days at Disney with my one year old twins and my husband who uses a wheelchair. My kids refuse to wear shoes also. They dont walk yets so they were in the double stroller the majority of the day unless we were out on a ride. They wore socks each of the seven days and we never had a single CM comment or tell us they needed shoes. We stopped and talked with a lot of people because we frequently have to wait longer to get on the accessible ride vehicle and usually have a lot of chats with the CM's working there.

That being said - it is tough taking a one year old to Disney - let alone two or three. We didnt ride a lot of rides - we were only in the parks for 4-5 hours a day to allow the kids down time and naps. We took this trip because we are DVC members and wanted the memories for us.

I am sorry your trip was so hard - I know how difficult it can be with 2 one year olds - not sure how I would handle a third!

My husband I have been going to Disney for years because of the accesibilty for him and the fact that it is one of the few places that we have visited that he can do almost everything in the resort. Everyone was also so accomodating with our twins - 2 high chairs in our villa, two pack and plays, the chefs at all the resteraunts accomodcated my daughters wheat allergy.

I hope you give it another chance and chalk it up to the fact that going on a vacation with 3 one year olds is a challange that might get easier when they are a little older (at least I am hoping it easier when 2 one year olds get older :lol:

Kelly

KerrriK85

as an ex cm, it is a policy to be wearing shoes at all times. working the rides, we were required to stop guests from boarding rides if they were shirtless OR barefoot. so many hygiene rules and safety issues.

consider this scenario: there is a piece of glass and your child steps on it, they would bleed out more than they would if their hand got cut by that same piece, so that glove on hands comment is silly.

ps, it is easier to single someone out breaking the rules when you are speaking with them or they are boarding a ride than it is to approach someone walking by. cms have specific tasks they need to do and cannot leave their spot. ive been bugged by smokers that get by me and i could not do a thing cuz they ignored me and walked out of my area.

also, what were they doing on the floor in a public location? someone could grab them or fallover them. maybe thats why they want more than one adult with the toddlers, they all need 24-7 supervision.. as a parent of 2 i know one person cannot keep an eye on all children at once. especially in such a heavily populated place.

vulnadia

brilliant...just where do you suggest a single mother of triplets come up with another responsible adult to look after her kids? (i'm not but i do have a friend who is in that position)???
not everyone has a mother or mother in law to help them or willing to help them!
kids toss their shoes on a regular basis-heck i've a 5yr old who does it when he's in the midst of a meltdown (yet another reason he is gac-bound)-some babies just will not keep them on no matter how much you repeatedly replace them-& then there are those who make it a game-
personally mine dont go barefoot in public past carseat-bound age (the point at which they outgrew their baby carrier/carseat) but some kids may have started out with shoes but just cant keep em on!
sure you shouldnt let yours run around rampant in a crowd, that's common sense, but there are times when what you think you see is actually something else!

When our kids were younger we really struggled over when would be the best age to take them. For our sanity and their enjoyment we decided to wait until the youngest child was a little older and easier to manage in a theme park atmosphere (she was still only 2, but she was much easier at 2 than she was at 1). While making the older child wait for their Disney vacation seems be a bit unfair, it turned out to be best for the entire family. Seeing that you have already felt some frustration, maybe waiting for the younger ones to be a little older might be an idea.

However it turns out, I hope you all have so much fun that you forget about the frustration you had in the planning part. :)

Martian Crab

One thing to consider, that happened to my wife and I: Some toddlers DON'T remember your Magic Kingdom trip at all. We took our kids when my oldest was 3 Y.O. & her sister was 2. Neither remembered anything about the trip when asked about it a few years later. If you think you are making memories for your young child, there is a chance they won't remember the experience at all.

lebeau

One thing to consider, that happened to my wife and I: Some toddlers DON'T remember your Magic Kingdom trip at all. We took our kids when my oldest was 3 Y.O. & her sister was 2. Neither remembered anything about the trip when asked about it a few years later. If you think you are making memories for your young child, there is a chance they won't remember the experience at all.

The vast majority of toddlers aren't going to remember a trip when they grow up. At best, they will remember hearing stories about it unless they have some kind of freaky "perfect memory" condition.

Martian Crab

The vast majority of toddlers aren't going to remember a trip when they grow up. At best, they will remember hearing stories about it unless they have some kind of freaky "perfect memory" condition.

Exactly. So why go through the hard work and expense of lugging around toddlers and their paraphernalia when ultimately they're not going to remember? Wait until they are school age and then go.

musketeer

Exactly. So why go through the hard work and expense of lugging around toddlers and their paraphernalia when ultimately they're not going to remember? Wait until they are school age and then go.

I completely disagree with that. We took our twin 1 1/2 year old girls in december. Of course they won't remember, but WE remember. I'll always remember the girls dancing their brains out to the live music at the Magic Kingdom. Or one of them saying, "whoah" over and over again while on the Magic Carpets of Aladdin. Or one of them covering her eyes when the gorilla approached the glass at the animal kingdom and not opening them for 1/2 hour following. And I'll never forget my kid who walked all around one of the stores at the contemporary pointing out every single mickey mouse on every piece of clothing saying, "mee mou....mee mou...mee mou"

And now, 5 months later, about once a day they look through the photo album and say things like, "mommy...swimming" when looking at my wife head put on a scuba diver's body at the end of spaceship earth. Or the picture of my daughter next to minnie at a character dinner with a look of equal amounts of bliss and terror at being that close to minnie.

I can understand where one might say to wait until they remember, but the memories that WE have from that trip are priceless.

Martian Crab

Obviously if you are doing the trip for your own reasons, go. My post was directed at people who think they're doing it to "make memories" for their young kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom