Does anyone still collect pins?

WishingOnAStar

Original Poster
I started collecting pins when I got moved to Florida and got my first AP in 2008. I don't trade them nor do I wear them on a lanyard at the parks. I just enjoy collecting them. Most of the time when I buy a pin there is a memory attached to something that happened on that day. Like the time I got stuck on the Maelstrom, I purchased the Maelstrom pin. Anyway, have 30 or so pins now and was wondering if anyone had any good or unique ways to display them. Currently I have them just laying on a table.

nngrendel

I love the pins! I got my first pin in 2007 I believe. They were having the Year of a Million Dreams thing going on. My daughter and I was waiting in line at Mission Space and several CM's came and handed out a limited number of Year of a Million Dreams Lanyards with two special pins indicated Year of a Million Dreams on it. After that I started collecting pins on things I have done. Every ride that I get on I will get a pin or an event. I have Memorial Day from last year when we went and also Star Wars Weekend 2010. I was dumb and failed to get a pin for the MNSSHP 2010 when we went. :brick:

Last year when we went I attended a Medical IT Show here in Atlanta, GA. Orlando had a booth there that they were the host city for 2011 and I informed them I was going to be in Disney in a few months. They proceed to hand me a huge bag of POTC pins to pick from. I grabbed a handful of pins and for the first time had a great time trading with random CM's and visiting the Disney store in DTD to trade. Was a great time. Cant wait to go back and get more in 2012.

I do wear mine at least once in the parks. However I get the brass screw on backs for all of my pins before I do that. Its a nice conversation starter with CM's when Im there.

a2grafix

Sure do, but it has gotten tough to find what I like, which is Roger Rabbit / Jessica Rabbit or some kind of special military-related or Pleasure Island / Adventurers Club pin.

There are pins out there, but more exclusive and rare. I usually end up purchasing / bidding on eBay sometimes.

fbp

I collected a single pin. I wear it on my fall jacket. I just really liked the design and message of the pin.

I probably would have bought a mug/shirt/whatever with the same design and message if I saw it before the pin.

Have a Disney day!

I kind of want to collect pins, but they are just so useless. I can't do it. I like merch that I can incorporate into my life.

Like giant Mickey hand gloves.

durangojim

We used to but it became cost prohibitive and the designs don't seem as inspired as they used to. We'll buy 2 or 3 per trip now, where we used to buy 10-15.

rsoxguy

My wife works at a school and wears a different pin daily for the kid's sake, and her own pleasure. She usually buys one every time we go. Her "collection" is getting quite large. I often see many people buying them within the parks, so I would imagine that collecting pins remains a popular trend.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'll pick up a few here and there, especially at special events such as Star Wars Weekend, the Flower & Garden Festival or (this year) the Food & Wine Festival. And I usually will pick one or two up from the resorts we've stayed at. But I've never gotten involved with the trading scene.....

jlevis

Pins are like crack only more expensive. :ROFLOL: I have 4 lanyards hanging around the house plus a protfolio full. My wife collects them also. She is primarly interested in Tink and I look for Goofy, Mickey, Lady & Tramp and any with the imbeded photos of Walt. I wear a lanyard when in the parks but don't trade. We also collect Disney art but other than that we're normal. :lol:

I love collecting pins! It's one of my favorite Disney things. I don't know exactly but I have somewhere over 200. I try to collect ones of my favorite rides like Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion. I have two big glass display cases (like the ones you would put a sports jersey in) in my basement with them all in there. I have a book that assesses the value of each pin which I like to refer to frequently as a way to get some Disney magic when I'm not at the parks

mickeysaver

Between keepers and traders, we have about 1300 pins. Most are on bulletin boards. Some are kept on craftfoam sheets, some are on a hat, some are on lanyards, some are in Disney shopping bags, and some are in frame sets.

Obviously, we love pins. I refuse to wear a lanyard in the park when it's over 85 or seriously humid. Tomorrow will be the first trip that we have taken with the baby where I am going to attempt to pin trade too. I am hopeful that pin trading will add a little pixie dust to the day.

Bravo 229

I have a small collection, around 30 or so, which is comprised of a few rare pins and some special event pins. They're not particularly displayed anywhere, but I have some on a lanyard and one Norway Mickey pin from EPCOT that I put on my golfing hat - I guess you could say its my good luck pin!

Figments Friend

-

I confess that i am a 'Pin Freak'...and i never thought i would get into it. I started way back when Disney first introduced Pin Trading. Part of their brillant marketing reeled me in to sample it, and wahlah...i become a bonified Freak. I now easily have well over a few hundred.

I used to just buy, but then a few years ago i started trading with CMs and that is when the mania REALLY hit me. Not only was it a fun 'treasure hunt' finding different pins on different people, it became associated with individual memories. Just about every pin i own i can tell you the story of who it came from and the circumstances around the actual act of trading.

The past year or so i have mellowed out a little...and this most recent visit i only bought 5 pins. I usually buy 30 to 40...but it is too pricey for me now. I still buy groups of pins off of eBay before i visit the Parks though for the sole purpose of trading with CMs which is always a plus to a visit, so i guess i will always be a 'lifer' when it comes to amassing piles of painted metal!

I display almost all of my pins on lanyards, hanging from the back of a door in a spare room. The fancier or more 'valuable' pins i polybag and tack up on in a seperate space. I love looking the pins over once in a while and reminising about the previous visits.

Pins are so incredibly ADDICTIVE...but there are worse things to be addicted to!

:)

Minnie1976

I still collect them, but like you they represent something special. I have them on a lanyard and have it hanging in my bedroom. I don't take them to Disney nor trade them. I wear one on my nametag at work. Minnie Mouse's hat is going to be replaced in October for Mickey as a ghost.

mrsdanalind

I started collecting pins when I got moved to Florida and got my first AP in 2008. I don't trade them nor do I wear them on a lanyard at the parks. I just enjoy collecting them. Most of the time when I buy a pin there is a memory attached to something that happened on that day. Like the time I got stuck on the Maelstrom, I purchased the Maelstrom pin. Anyway, have 30 or so pins now and was wondering if anyone had any good or unique ways to display them. Currently I have them just laying on a table.

I went to the local office supply store and got a huge cork board. My pins are displayed on that covered by a thin sheet of plexiglass. As I collect more pins I add them, I've been told that I can't trade or sell them as they are my childrens inheritance.. I've been a collector since 1999 when they first started the pins, and I worked for Disney Stores. I usually get one or two a year, depending on what is available and what strikes my fancy. I will miss this year, but am hoping to find a family reunion one next year.:xmas:

rob0519

I bought a few each visit when the pins first came out. They seems special. Now there are so many pins and so many near duplicates that they hardly seem special anymore. I've yet to figure out a good way to display them, so they just sit in a drawer. My favorite pin is from Discovery Island before it closed. Probably because it was one of the first pins I bought and because there will never be another island pin made.

koryadams

-

I confess that i am a 'Pin Freak'...and i never thought i would get into it. I started way back when Disney first introduced Pin Trading. Part of their brillant marketing reeled me in to sample it, and wahlah...i become a bonified Freak. I now easily have well over a few hundred.

I used to just buy, but then a few years ago i started trading with CMs and that is when the mania REALLY hit me. Not only was it a fun 'treasure hunt' finding different pins on different people, it became associated with individual memories. Just about every pin i own i can tell you the story of who it came from and the circumstances around the actual act of trading.

The past year or so i have mellowed out a little...and this most recent visit i only bought 5 pins. I usually buy 30 to 40...but it is too pricey for me now. I still buy groups of pins off of eBay before i visit the Parks though for the sole purpose of trading with CMs which is always a plus to a visit, so i guess i will always be a 'lifer' when it comes to amassing piles of painted metal!

I display almost all of my pins on lanyards, hanging from the back of a door in a spare room. The fancier or more 'valuable' pins i polybag and tack up on in a seperate space. I love looking the pins over once in a while and reminising about the previous visits.

Pins are so incredibly ADDICTIVE...but there are worse things to be addicted to!

:)

how many do you own?

bobjl527

I wouldn't say that my wife and I are pin collectors. If either one of us find one that we like, we buy it. That being said, I have a box of pins that we bought back in 1999 and 2000. Still wraped in their celophane (sp?) and in a box in the closet. I haven't touched them in 10 years. We bought them at the Disney Store. I think they released 10 new pins every week or so and I think they were in celebration of the new millenium. And since we were married in 2000, she thought they would be nice to have. Anyone have an idea how much these pins are worth?:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom