does anyone ride the astro orbitor?

danheaton

It's a fun ride largely due to the view of Tomorrowland and well beyond to the Contemporary and around the park. I used to ride the Starjets a lot as a kid, but what keeps me from riding the Astro Orbiter as much is the slow line. It seems to take forever!

LUVofDIS

Nobody rides it anymore; the line is too long.

If nobody rode it than there wouldn't be a line. LOL

We ride once per visit at night. The last time we rode it my wife sat in the ride ship backwards by accident. No she wasn't drunk, at least than she would have an excuse. I looked back and there was the back of her head. I had to call out to her and ask if she noticed something wrong. Luckily she had time to turn around. To this day we still laugh about it, that is I laugh and she gives me the "eye".

winstongator

I had probably gone 10 times before riding it. I thought it was just Dumbo/Carpets, but I much prefer it as a ride. Maybe because the view is better.

I love Tom Sawyer's island. We had a fun game of family hide and seek on it.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
You should try it once and see what you think. Personally, I loved that going up in an elevator as part of the queue was neat, and the view can’t be beat. However, my fat behind had trouble sqeezing into and getting out of the rocket.

Adam Snider

I did it once, I was walking to Space Mountain during MVMCP and people were getting on the elevator with no line so I jumped on with no wait. Only did it bc I have never done it before and now I can say I did it.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've done Astro Orbiter twice. It's neat to see everything from that high up, but I don't need to wait in that line again.

I've never ridden Dumbo though.
Man Dumbo is a rite of passage to lifelong Disneyworld obsession! I hardly ever ride the AO because I've always struggled with motion sickness and as I get older the motion sickness gets worse. The AO is actually pretty intense for what it is. I think it's actually a fun ride but I just can't deal with the dizziness I wind up with when it's over. As for Tom Sawyer Island, people that don't go there are severely missing out on a great time. It's probably the most adventurous place on Disney property if you really get down to it. You can go across a rope bridge, a barrel bridge, play in a fort, go through an old mine shaft, and use an escape tunnel all in one big place and sorta even manage to find a sense of seclusion from the crowds. My wife is not a big fan of it but pretty much on every trip I will go and take my little boy over there and we will spend time exploring it. The mine shaft is really fun with little kids because it's definitely one of the most charmingly spooky places in all of Disneyworld.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've done it a couple times since being a kid. It's kinda nice at night or during the fireworks.
I love riding Dumbo during the fireworks as well. A couple of weeks ago we got on Dumbo and as soon as we sat down we felt a little bitty sprinkle and then, all of a sudden, as soon as the ride started it was like the sky opened up and poured an entire ocean of rain down! S-O-A-K-E-D! LOL! It was literally right as soon as Happily Ever After started and I'd say that totally ruined that experience for tons of people who had probably been camping out for 2 hours for the perfect viewing spot too. It was just one of those famous FL storms that comes out of nowhere. It literally probably lasted about 5 minutes tops but for that 5 minutes it looked like it was raining from the ground up.

Simba's Mom

Riding Astro Orbiter back in 2008. Was one of the scarier rides. Way up there with very little holding you in.

Our take on it also, and for us it was also around 2008 that we rode it for the one and only time. DH and I made the mistake of getting in one rocket ship together, and it felt like the ship was tilting, I guess a combines weight of 300 lbs is too much. Plus I have a terrible fear of heights, so I spent the entire ride screaming "Why did I want to do this?" At least after that, DH easily got my to ride Space Mountain. When he suggested it, I just shrugged and said "It can't be any worse than this!" and it wasn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom