Does anyone recommend Disney's travel insurance?

olive10tails

We are traveling in Sept, about to book our trip. We are taking our almost born child and are wondering if insurance is worth it, especially with a newborn--things can crop up and cancellations do happen. We have never purchased before, but you can never be too careful! Thanks for the replies!

jkrat

I have always bought the travel insurance. We do have medical issues. I only had to use it once (in 2005), my daughter lost her Ipod on the plane. They had a check issued to me within a week of me submitting my claim. This was the insurance they offered through Disney. I had no idea it would cover lost items too, but it did. For us it was worth it. I hope this helps.
Take care Janet

Upvote 0

newfanatic

I know you can purchase similar plans for less money through other agencies, but I bought through Disney for the convenience. With two kids, I purchased in case we had to cancel. However, I ended up using it when my son started to run a 103 fever while we were at Disney. The doctor came to see him at the room, and provided the medication he needed. He was fine the next morning and we only lost half a day. I did not realize until I got home that the travel insurance covered this. I submitted a claim after an awful lot of paperwork, but got back every penny of the $221 it would have cost me. I only paid $109 for the insurance for all 4 of us. Yes, the insurance was well worth it. You never know what might happen.

Upvote 0

SteveUK

I agree that travel insurance is essential, but I also know that Disney are not the cheapest provider. If you read the documents carefully anyway, you will find that Disney are not an insurenace company but almost certainly acting as a broker and selling you a policy underwritten by another actual insurance company.

If you look around you can find very good deals on travel insurance. In some circumstances you can even get it free. I have bank accounts and credit cards that provide a level of cover for free. If I book with a certain credit card, they provide insurance free of charge. Look around for these deals. Disney may be the easiest or most convenient option, but I am pretty sure they will not be the cheapest.

Upvote 0

Buried20KLeague

The best part of the insurance through Disney is that hurricanes are covered. Not all policies do that. The fact that you're going in Sept, you may well have to deal with something like that. Makes good sense in my book, but for me, only during hurricane season. :wave:

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
The travel insurance for Disney goes by how many adults are in the room at a cost of $59.95 per adult. It does cover many things. Disney now has it covering airfare if you book the air on a pkg through Disney and the insurance is already on the booking or is added when the air is added. Keep in mind also that the insurance can be added at any time up until the trip is paid in full which is usually at the 45 day prior to arrival mark. If you add the insurance after the air, it will not cover the air. (or so I was told) Maybe JP can elaborate on this for us.

If you are wary that you may have a problem, then better safe than sorry. I would get it.

Here is some of the information on the insurance.

Vacation Insurance protects you against covered unexpected events. Our vacation insurance policy continues to offer great benefits covering many emergency and unexpected situations prior to and during your vacation. The policy includes the following coverage and benefits, subject to certain exclusions and limitations:

Trip Cancellation/Interruption (up to the total cost of your vacation package)
Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) ($25,000)
Emergency Medical Transportation ($20,000)
Medical Expenses ($10,000)
Lost baggage ($2,000)
Travel Delay ($600)
Baggage Delay ($500)
24-hour Travel Assistance via LiveTravel

The premium is based on the number of adults in your party and children ages 17 and under are included in the policy. Vacation insurance is non-refundable.

Upvote 0

missmia55

Sounds like we were in the same boat....I'm due for c-sec June 29 with baby #3 and will be visiting WDW the last week in September....From the way I was explained by my travel agent and other boards, the Disney insurance is only really worth it if you have existing medical conditions or are flying....since the coverage only really covers that....As mentioned before, there are better trip interruption/weather cancelations policies out there if you aren't already covered by something already. (USAA, AAA premium, "Plus" Car coverages, etc..) Since we were heavily covered by a number of other personal policies, and would be driving from NY we opt'd not to take the insurance....even when traveling with a newborn, 2, and 4 year old...lol

Good luck!

Brianna

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

I have NEVER used insurance and have taken about 50 vacations in my lifetime. If I lose ONE vacation, I'm sure I can afford the cost over 200 bucks added to each trip.

Upvote 0

wired

Kingdom Konsultant said:
Here is some of the information on the insurance.

Vacation Insurance protects you against covered unexpected events. Our vacation insurance policy continues to offer great benefits covering many emergency and unexpected situations prior to and during your vacation. The policy includes the following coverage and benefits, subject to certain exclusions and limitations:

Trip Cancellation/Interruption (up to the total cost of your vacation package)
Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) ($25,000)
Emergency Medical Transportation ($20,000)
Medical Expenses ($10,000)
Lost baggage ($2,000)
Travel Delay ($600)
Baggage Delay ($500)
24-hour Travel Assistance via LiveTravel

So how does it hold up with hurricanes? I am driving from Chicago in Sept, will it cover it if the hurricane is predicted to hit during our trip and we don't leave? What about if it hits while we are there?

Does any one have experience with this from last year?

Wired

Upvote 0

wired

JimboJones123 said:
I could use a nice break in a rough week to get rained on at the hotel!

Yeah, maybe if it was only my wife and I. :D

But add her Mother, one brother and his family and her younger brother. And my two young kids. It quickly would be come hotel hell.
:fork:

wired

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

We used to get the travel insurance, but not anymore--we've had trips every year since 1989 and never canceled, so we just save ourselves the $200. It's easier since we are all adults now, though--we can commit to a week at Disney and not have anything come up.

Upvote 0

wired

ISTCNavigator57 said:
We used to get the travel insurance, but not anymore--we've had trips every year since 1989 and never canceled, so we just save ourselves the $200. It's easier since we are all adults now, though--we can commit to a week at Disney and not have anything come up.

I would agree, for years, 10+, I never took the insurance, but with the storms be predicted being something like last year. And we are planning in to go in September, it is making me think twice.

To spend that kind of money to sit in a room and watch non stop Disney cartoons, MIGHT be fun the first day, but.... :hammer:

wired

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

wired said:
I would agree, for years, 10+, I never took the insurance, but with the storms be predicted being something like last year. And we are planning in to go in September, it is making me think twice.

To spend that kind of money to sit in a room and watch non stop Disney cartoons, MIGHT be fun the first day, but.... :hammer:

wired
I was under the impression that even w/ the hurricanes, guests really only had one day when they couldn't go in the parks, and by the day after the hurricanes hit (and sometimes day of), at least one or two of the parks was already cleaned and opened.

Upvote 0

Briar_Rose

We drove through Hurricane Bonny from VA and arrived at POFQ a few hours before Charlie hit in August '04. They restricted us to our hotel room that night but all of the parks except Animal Kingdom were open the next morning. AK opened the day after. The hotels outside of WDW didn't fare so well. We talked to several people at the parks that were without power and water at their hotels. WDW seems to handle most hurricanes in stride.

I would only be concerned if you are flying since you may not be able to get there and may lose a couple of days of vacation.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We have always gotten the insurance because you never know what will happen. A trip to WDW is a big chunk of change that we cannot afford to throw away. We have had to cancel just once, and everything was taken care of.

Upvote 0

brisem

We took it, because you never know what could happen. Going down in August and with the Hurricanes predictions, it's woth the cost for the added protection.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom