Does anyone recommend Disney's travel insurance?

olive10tails

We are traveling in Sept, about to book our trip. We are taking our almost born child and are wondering if insurance is worth it, especially with a newborn--things can crop up and cancellations do happen. We have never purchased before, but you can never be too careful! Thanks for the replies!

autigger

Once you hit the 45 day window and are paid in full, what are Disney's cancellation policies?

What kind of refund am I looking at if I cancel just before or during my trip if I do NOT get travel insurance?

Upvote 0

wired

autigger said:
Once you hit the 45 day window and are paid in full, what are Disney's cancellation policies?

What kind of refund am I looking at if I cancel just before or during my trip if I do NOT get travel insurance?

Even if you take the travel insurance you have to meet the requirements for not traveling to get the refund, with disney's insurance, once you check in I don't believe you can get your trip refunded.

wired

Upvote 0

autigger

According to the Disney Website here is what I found to the the cancelation policies:

Cancellation and Change fees
<DIR><DIR>
-For a cancellation made 44 to 6 days prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $100 per package plus any cancellation fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.

-For a cancellation made 5 days or less prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $200 per package plus any cancellation fees by hotels or other suppliers. In addition, with respect to Grand Gathering experiences, no refund will be given for cancellations made 5 days or less from the experience date. No refunds will be given to no-shows.

-For a change made 44 days or less prior to arrival or that results in a rate change, there is an additional change fee of $50 per package plus any change fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.

-For changes, the change fees must be paid in addition to any increase in rate resulting from the change.
In addition: If your air travel has been ticketed, there will be an additional cancellation or change fee per ticket equal to the cancellation or change fee assessed by the airline.

Please note that (x) cancellation of a nonrefundable airfare results in a charge equal to the entire amount of the airfare and (y) cancellation of a refundable airfare must be made at least 1 business day prior to departure.

Travel insurance is nonrefundable once deposit has been received. Upon any cancellation, the charge for travel insurance will be added to the other applicable cancellation fees.
</DIR></DIR>
If you cancel, amounts paid, minus cancellation fees and other amounts owed, will be promptly refunded.

With the insurance it appears that I could be paying more than if I simply just incur a cancellation penalty?

Is this true? Am I reading this correctly?

Also, with the cancellation penalty, I don't have to prove that I am canceling for an "approved" reason?

Upvote 0

KeithVH

Here's another thought. Read the fine print. Not sure if all policies are the same. On our December trip, everything was fine until we got to the airport on the way home. Flight had JUST been cancelled (so calling earlier did nothing for us). Since it was a 7pm flight and the next one available wasn't until the next morning we had to go to a local hotel. Plus purchase an extra meal.

Well, since they got us a flight within 12 hours of our original one (10 hours to be exact), we weren't covered (not to mention really poor cust service). Not really Disney's fault but I'll never buy insurance again or fly that airline (the list I boycott keeps getting longer).

Upvote 0

wired

Yes and no. If you did it before the 5 days then yes, depending on the number of adults per reservation. The travel insurance is like $60 or so per adult.

Where the travel insurance works is if you had to cancel last minute, like an hour or so before you leave, because of a "authorized" issue, death in the family, plane crash, etc.... - just kidding on the plane crash....

It also covers you for lost items during travel, delay in travel, etc.

So I would say the question becomes, are you booking with a 50/50 chance that you will not go, or are you deciding based on weather, or something else.

The reason I started this thread was because we are heading down the first week in September, and with all the bad weather florida has seen lately I did not want to get burned. Which we are driving from Illinois, so having the option to pull out last minute could be an issue if bad weather hits and they close roads down.

With Disney directly, if you pay their fees for cancelling they could careless why you are cancelling.

wired

Upvote 0

newfanatic

Also keep in mind that the insurance covers more than just cancellation. We used ours to get reimbursed after my DS got sick on the second to last day of our trip. The insurance covered the doctor that came to the room and the medicine we bought from him. DS was fine the next morning, and we were able to enjoy our final day. The travel insurance paid the full amount over what our health insurance paid. Since Blue Cross only paid out $96, travel insurance paid out $220; almost twice what I paid for the insurance. Well worth it for me. :)

I did not realize that they would pay for that kind of thing until I got home. I called up, they sent me the paperwork, and everything was taken care of through the mail and over the phone. It took a while, but I got a check for the full amount.

As a side note, you can probably get a similar policy for less money through an outside insurance broker. We got it through Disney just because it was convenient.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom