Does anyone know what they are doing to Spaceship Earth?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
So, I shouldnt have gone out and bought stock in the Mark Monorail Company???:lookaroun
ROTFL
happy0071.gif

Action0286

I like how no matter what our topic is we somehow always get back to a fifth gate and harry potter. We could be discussing pin collecting and someone will make a ridiculous claim that the reason we haven't seen many Captain Hook pins lately is because they're saving them for the Villiansland Theme Park.

On a side note, I was at EPCOT last week, and a girl I was with asked one of the cast members working if they had changed anything lately (I told her they hadn't but she insisted on asking). The cast member said no they hadn't but a refurb was being planned for the summer. Now before everyone jumps on me, I know cast members aren't the most reliable source but has anyone heard this before? Maybe it has to do with the new sponsor or something. I'm sure it would be small considering the other refurbs going on then (mainly the Haunted Mansion).

sambahat

cm1988,
You must have the same source I have! While being shuttled between parks, I was told of definitive plans for an expansion of World Showcase via a Matterhorn project. The reason I did not mention it was that the Swiss government was paying for it and I felt that it did not belong in my original post which was concerned with the funding of the monorail expansion and influence on subsequent projects such as the SSE refurb.

This may belong on another thread, but other plans for World Showcase include a log flume based on the Brother Bear movie, a Japanese bullet train simulator (very cool sounding stuff), and a Germany river ride attraction.

Stay tuned...

I sure hope your trasportation driver provied you with the drop down screen with the detailed blue prints of all these plans.

Then again I have seen when you try to take a picture of said screen it comes out looking like the back of said transportation driver.

Vernonpush

cm1988,
You must have the same source I have! While being shuttled between parks, I was told of definitive plans for an expansion of World Showcase via a Matterhorn project. The reason I did not mention it was that the Swiss government was paying for it and I felt that it did not belong in my original post which was concerned with the funding of the monorail expansion and influence on subsequent projects such as the SSE refurb.

This may belong on another thread, but other plans for World Showcase include a log flume based on the Brother Bear movie, a Japanese bullet train simulator (very cool sounding stuff), and a Germany river ride attraction.

Stay tuned...
What about "The Ladder:The Ride"? I've been waiting for this one a long time.

Mickey Maniac

I would just like to say that you can't always trust Cast Members. For example, during the draining of 20K, a Cast Member assured me that a Harry Potter dark ride was going to be the replacement. I was like, "Are you serious?" and he was like, "Yup. Because of the new ABC/Disney [merge thing] Harry Potter is what they're eager to get started with the most. Construction will begin any day now."

Of course we all know that unless Disney is planning to demolish the Winnie-the-Pooh playground that they just finished in what, like 2005, then this isn't true.

BOTTOM LINE: Cast Members here just as many rumors as we do, and while a lot of their information is credible, sometimes it's farfetched, and other times it's complete fallacy.

It seems that Disney is waiting for approval to expand the monorails between all parks before any changes to Spaceship Earth. The reason is budget. Since the monorail expansion costs so much, there simply isn't any money left for the SpaceShip Earth refurb. As a matter of fact, that is why the SSE wand is still there.

The monorail expansion will accommodate the influx of new visitors once the new, fifth gate is opened. This announcement is expected later this year. The new park, by the way, will be a villain themed park.

Of interest, the monorail expansion at Animal Kingdom will pass through the newly built Hogwart's Castle from Harry Potter... sort of like the way the monorail passes through the Contemporary - very cool. This will be part of the yet-to-be-announced build out of Beastley Kingdomme.

So... once these changes are made, SpaceShip Earth will indeed be made into a roller coaster... although the name is still to be determined. There is some debate within Imagineering about how to properly theme the re-design. One camp insists on going forward with a "Stitch's Rocket Rods" while another group is pushing for something based on the Pixar short, Boundin (details are scarce).

My source is an unnamed veteran of the WDW transportation system.

Hope this helps.

Monorail Expansion = yes
Spaceship Earth changes into roller coaster = no
Beastly Kindom = um no
5th gate = yes

svickersart

I dont see a monorail expansion coming, very expensive, like a million $$$ a section. As far as Spaceship Earth, from what I understand the ride system holds up the sphere so it cant just be gutted out like space mountian and a new ride installed, they would have to tear down the whole thing and start over again. I have heard inhanced effects with the same theming. I think its the same with the Matterhorn at DL, the mountian is built on the ride so the whole thing would have to come down, they took this into consideration when they build Everest, they can remove the ride and leave the mountian.
Steve

DisneyMusician2

I can't see a monorail expansion...I would LOVE it, but I just can't ever see it happening. As for SSE, I would love to see some enhanced effects and other cool upgrades, with the same basic ride and definately and updated audio in the vehicles. SOmetimes its really just WAY too soft. That would be the major change I would start with

sambahat

Breaking News: The Wand is Permanent

My source (same transportation veteran) tells me that after reviewing plans to remove the wand for Epcot's 25th anniversary, it was discovered that during the original millennium celebration, the wand's supporting structure was built into the sphere's supporting infrastructure. It is now impossible to remove the wand without compromising the the sphere's structural integrity.

The roller coaster plans are still in the works, however.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My source (same transportation veteran) tells me that after reviewing plans to remove the wand for Epcot's 25th anniversary, it was discovered that during the original millennium celebration, the wand's supporting structure was built into the sphere's supporting infrastructure. It is now impossible to remove the wand without compromising the the sphere's structural integrity.

The roller coaster plans are still in the works, however.
Good to hear. What would the wand be without a new monorail spur going through the middle of it? I just hope they can time the exterior coaster portion to have a car fly past as each MkVIII monorail passes it on the way to Animal Kingdom.

ToTBellHop

Good to hear. What would the wand be without a new monorail spur going through the middle of it? I just hope they can time the exterior coaster portion to have a car fly past as each MkVIII monorail passes it on the way to Animal Kingdom.
...by way of the new Harry Potter Theme Park going in west of MGM.

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
I have to wonder about the monorail expansion...

Believe me , it would be great (especially if it went to the Beach club!!!), but in the early 1970s the monorail cost was $1 million per mile (remember that concrete is very expensive). In todays dollars it would be 5-6 million per mile. Comsidering the amount of miles needed, I don't forsee it happening, unless Disney could swing quite a few sponsors to help out with the costs.

I also had heard from a SSE cast member that indeed, the ride system adds support to the sphere, and the only way that they could build a "rollercoaster" would be to fit it into the current flooring system, which would make for a heck of a boring and slow rollercoaster.

I hope that Retroland is true..I want my 20K leagues back..and I want to go to Tokyo and abduct the Mickey Mouse revue!

As for Harry Potter, the day WDW puts anything HP in , is the day I've had my last visit there.

EthylCooper

It seems that Disney is waiting for approval to expand the monorails between all parks before any changes to Spaceship Earth. The reason is budget. Since the monorail expansion costs so much, there simply isn't any money left for the SpaceShip Earth refurb. As a matter of fact, that is why the SSE wand is still there.

The monorail expansion will accommodate the influx of new visitors once the new, fifth gate is opened. This announcement is expected later this year. The new park, by the way, will be a villain themed park.

Of interest, the monorail expansion at Animal Kingdom will pass through the newly built Hogwart's Castle from Harry Potter... sort of like the way the monorail passes through the Contemporary - very cool. This will be part of the yet-to-be-announced build out of Beastley Kingdomme.

So... once these changes are made, SpaceShip Earth will indeed be made into a roller coaster... although the name is still to be determined. There is some debate within Imagineering about how to properly theme the re-design. One camp insists on going forward with a "Stitch's Rocket Rods" while another group is pushing for something based on the Pixar short, Boundin (details are scarce).

My source is an unnamed veteran of the WDW transportation system.

Hope this helps.

*giggles*

You hit them all there, didn't you? :lol:

jmvd20

I think its the same with the Matterhorn at DL, the mountian is built on the ride so the whole thing would have to come down, they took this into consideration when they build Everest, they can remove the ride and leave the mountian.
Steve

It has more to do with the fact that the mountain at EE is a static structure and the ride is a dynamic structure. The ride structure has to move due to the load of the vehicles, the vibrations and movement of the ride would cause severe damage to the mountain facade.

Space Mountain

We heard a rumor there two years ago that they were taking out the entire ride and replacing it with a roller coaster. We asked asts memeber sin the ride about that last year and they said that wasn't true.

Does anyone know what is going on in there?

Its being moved to the Wide World of Sports where theyll add a giant golfer with a golf club next to it.

A giant Figment statue will take Spaceship Earth's place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom