Does anyone else find Rise of the Resistance and Runaway Railway underwhelming?

Do you think Rise of the Resistance and Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway are overrated?

• Total voters

JohnD

Multiple versions are fantastic as long as its cohesive and makes sense in the context of that universe... but I guess that's just an opinion. With Star Tours, I can see how others, who may not be "die hard" fans, wouldn't mind as much and would have a good time despite the lack of story not making sense. (not to assume your not a die hard SW fan :) )

It's not like I don't notice. I do. For me, part of the fun is wondering what scenes will come up. MF:SR would be much better if it had more randomized scenes.

Parker in NYC

Wait...

You left New York and went to Orlando in December 2019 when the covid germination was only a mere WEEKS away?

Have you properly deconned everything yet? I’d get on it if I were you...
I didn't come to my senses until February. What can I say, I've always been a late bloomer. Though, earlier than most...who famously have had their bloomers in a twist since.

Cesar R M

Lacking???

How much more could somebody *REASONABLY* expect out of an attraction, anywhere? Rise is loaded with goodies and its effects are crisp.

What more do you want, considering it has the most immersion than any ride on the planet. I'm not saying it's the best ride (it's not) but it is loaded to the gills with things going on, great sound and eye popping visuals and close to perfect effects and quality AA's.

It's a mega E offering.

The one glaring drawback among the trackless style rides like Rat, Rise, Mickey, Mystic and Beast is they have no physical thrills due to the nature of the ride system.
Rise is an impressive combination of all technologies together. SO I agree with you.
I mean, you get to walk on.. get a preshow.. enter a simulator, enter another walk on show area with impressive screens simulated, then the effects of the detention scene before boarding your droid trackless ride. then these droid goes around, moves a lot.. then becomes a full blown simulator for the last scene.. not to mention the floor changes (elevators part..)

The Train's trackless ride also moves quite a bit, no idea why OP says they do not show much.
Its an evolution of the ride system.
What surprised me of the Train's ride is how the little train trams change positions every time you get in.
Train #1 might end in Train 3 position or Train 4 position by the end of the ride.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Have you experienced the most recent updates? I think it was about 2012 they added a round major updates, but they have added more updates/variations since that time. I think the most recent updates were made late least year or very early this year.

My group walked off the ride and all said, "Wow! That was way better than it used to be!"

I LOVE the idea of having multiple versions of rides. The idea is long overdue. I feel it to the point that it just sticks in my head how much better Muppets would be if they added different jokes. Even if just Statler and Waldorf told different jokes each time; the show would be vastly improved, and more like the original show.

Many times...

It’s still a simulator/jerkatron.

I liked bodywars better...to be honest.

Simulators were never a good ride technology...they just weren't. They don’t affect your body or really fool your senses. I still wait for Disney (since George is out) to have the fortitude...to use gravity on a Star Wars ride. Maybe...it will be a classic...and if that means it’s not in a warehouse and 6 year olds might have to wait until they’re 8...so be it.

DisneyTransport

Many times...

It’s still a simulator/jerkatron.

I liked bodywars better...to be honest.

Simulators were never a good ride technology...they just weren't. They don’t affect your body or really fool your senses. I still wait for Disney (since George is out) to have the fortitude...to use gravity on a Star Wars ride. Maybe...it will be a classic...and if that means it’s not in a warehouse and 6 year olds might have to wait until they’re 8...so be it.
…I like simulators...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…I like simulators...

You mean generally all ages, indoor, high capacity rides with severe limitations to what ride experience they can offer??

Maybe in another park...but Disney’s reliance on dark rides makes that a little redundant.

Which is why building 6 trackless in Orlando would be a bad move...we’re half way there, Bon Jovi

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Spider-Man still says Yes. Harry Potter’s Forbidden Journey nods its head in agreement. The industry buzz for Mario Kart is also pointing to Yes.
I think you know you’re comparing kiwis to watermelons.

Spider-Man still holds up (was on it in January in an unbeknownst spreader event)...

Forbidden journey is a kuka...that’s real movement...though understandably not everyone’s cup of tea.

Mario kart is an interesting case study...cause you know...it’s LITERALLY based on gokarts. Comcast May be inventing the square wheel there...keep it simple, stupid! (KISS)

tirian

I think you know you’re comparing kiwis to watermelons.

Spider-Man still holds up (was on it in January in an unbeknownst spreader event)...

Forbidden journey is a kuka...that’s real movement...though understandably not everyone’s cup of tea.

Mario kart is an interesting case study...cause you know...it’s LITERALLY based on gokarts. Comcast May be inventing the square wheel there...keep it simple, stupid! (KISS)
You might have misread my statement, or maybe I misread your sarcasm.

All three of those attractions combine elements of simulators with real movement, and they’re some of the best rides on earth.

Trackmaster

If I compare the experience to the last Disney ride to have such high demand, I think it’s worlds better than FOP. The ‘wait’ experience is far superior to ‘wiggle around’ on that one. Runaway Railroad honestly is a better experience pre and hopefully soon post Covid. I find that one to be colorful and a feast for the senses, although it’s not one id wait 90+ minutes for again. Perhaps RotR won’t be as fun on the 50th ride as it was the first or second, but I still think it’s going to be a priority for me at HS, unless I just haven’t rode ToT or Slinky in a long time and can only get FP for one.

After seeing what RotR and M&MRR do, its completely hard to believe that just a year and a half ago, Slinky was the ride that nobody could get a FP+ for. That little baby coaster that really does nothing special at all. Just goes to show how starved for attractions the park was, and how ridiculous people can be with their expectations when they were so OK with mediocrity before it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
After seeing what RotR and M&MRR do, its completely hard to believe that just a year and a half ago, Slinky was the ride that nobody could get a FP+ for. That little baby coaster that really does nothing special at all. Just goes to show how starved for attractions the park was, and how ridiculous people can be with their expectations when they were so OK with mediocrity before it.

The line in wdw is reflective of the lack of proper outfitting for 20 years...not the ride quality.

The “poster child” is mine train. Baby bump coaster with a good AA room. Nothing more and nothing less. That’s a C ticket in 2013...frankly.

Not just rides...be our guest is frankly pathetic...and I bet somewhere on this board it’s being discussed/coveted right now

Trackmaster

The line in wdw is reflective of the lack of proper outfitting for 20 years...not the ride quality.

The “poster child” is mine train. Baby bump coaster with a good AA room. Nothing more and nothing less. That’s a C ticket in 2013...frankly.

Not just rides...be our guest is frankly pathetic...and I bet somewhere on this board it’s being discussed/coveted right now

I mean, the counter-argument is where are people coming from, and why do people who decry the lack of proper attractions keep going? People keep coming. They keep spending more money. They leave happy campers. So at the end of the day, Disney might be doing something right I guess? Why do they have any incentive to change where pre-COVID, their business model was bangbusters and people couldn't get enough of it?

crawale

Now that we've had some time for these attractions to settle, I can't help but feel that these attractions are kind of overrated. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy them both, but I feel that they're lacking, especially in the department of how they use their trackless vehicle technology. I don't think that Rise of the Resistance does anything special, even with having its vehicles move in and out elevators, because the Tower of Terror has been doing that since its opening. Runaway Railway also feels a bit like an empty warehouse and everything is happening at such a chaotic pace that you have a hard time following exactly what is happening. I think that Ratatouille, based off of what we see with the version in Paris, is actually likely to be the best of these attractions coming to WDW because of its pacing and how it uses its trackless vehicles to simulate movement.
Rise of the Resistance is definitely a great ride - providing it doesn't break down. However Runaway Railway is most similar to Toad's Wild Ride in my book and far inferior to the Great Movie Ride - definitely many steps down.

Paper straw fan

I mean, I don’t argue with you, isn’t that most Disney rides? I mean they will never compete with Busch Gardens, Universal, or something like Cedar Point as far as pure adrenaline thrill rides. Especially if it’s a coaster meant for all ages. If anyone thinks GotG is going to be some white knuckler either I wouldn’t hold your breath. It’s basically going to be Cobra’s Curse from BG but indoors. You kinda have to hope the creativity makes up for the lack of intensity. And honestly as I creep into middle age I’m slowly starting to be ok with that. But agreed, that’s why a lot of people considered HS a ‘half day’ park before Toy Story and Star Wars (I’m not calling it Galaxy’s Edge) were put in.

Your counter argument is actually a good point too though, why are they going to change for the harder core fans, when there’s been more than enough people willing to shell out increasingly more money to go there. There is a slim chance post Covid they try a little harder to get people back, but my guess is they will be at capacity the day after a vaccine is released anyway.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

I mean, I don’t argue with you, isn’t that most Disney rides? I mean they will never compete with Busch Gardens, Universal, or something like Cedar Point as far as pure adrenaline thrill rides. Especially if it’s a coaster meant for all ages. If anyone thinks GotG is going to be some white knuckler either I wouldn’t hold your breath. It’s basically going to be Cobra’s Curse from BG but indoors. You kinda have to hope the creativity makes up for the lack of intensity. And honestly as I creep into middle age I’m slowly starting to be ok with that. But agreed, that’s why a lot of people considered HS a ‘half day’ park before Toy Story and Star Wars (I’m not calling it Galaxy’s Edge) were put in.

Your counter argument is actually a good point too though, why are they going to change for the harder core fans, when there’s been more than enough people willing to shell out increasingly more money to go there. There is a slim chance post Covid they try a little harder to get people back, but my guess is they will be at capacity the day after a vaccine is released anyway.

Yeah, its already pretty crowded even with no international tourism, and heavy domestic travel restrictions. I think that theme parks in general have wildly exceeded expectations given the circumstances.

EngineerMom

I haven't been to studios to ride either yet (planning on 2021).

My daughter and I road Smuggler's Run at Disneyland and we were like WOW. I cannot believe how lame the ride is.
The queue was great but the ride was very underwhelming.
To us it was star tours except not as varied.
Mission Space where - Oh press these buttons but it does nothing.
Very sad. We were hoping for more.

Hcalvert

I haven't been to studios to ride either yet (planning on 2021).

My daughter and I road Smuggler's Run at Disneyland and we were like WOW. I cannot believe how lame the ride is.
The queue was great but the ride was very underwhelming.
To us it was star tours except not as varied.
Mission Space where - Oh press these buttons but it does nothing.
Very sad. We were hoping for more.
I agree with you regarding Smuggler's Run. I find it boring and just go because my husband and son want to ride.

Last edited:

OG Runner

Disclaimer, I have only experienced Runaway Railroad, on Youtube. I am, to start with, impressed by the trackless rides. The technical
advancements that have made them possible are great. I rode rise in January of this year. The special effects in Rise are impressive and you can see the detail that was put into them. (You notice the projections of Kylo, Hucks & the Stormtroopers cast shadows) It is a fun ride that actually combines a number of ride systems. I definitely think it is exceptional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom