Does anyone else feel the urgency to visit WDW at this point more than ever?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How often did we hear there were people standing in line somewhere to take our place if we stopped going?
I don’t know how often…but I know each time it was someone masquerading as an “adults” that couldn’t separate their lives from the small part their travel makes up of it.

Patcheslee

At this point, our last visit was 2019 prior to GE opening. We had to cancel June of this year to deal with medical issues which are now better. We've thrown around the idea of going next year, but DC is the only firm plan. It's sort of gotten to the point we aren't in a hurry because it's been awhile. Newness of areas wear off and whether we would have visited in June or a couple years from now, the excitement to experience something for the first time won't make much of a difference. At this point it seems a positive we canceled since Epcot will be more easy to navigate by the time we go. The original Genie+, while cheaper, had drawbacks that will hopefully be ironed out. Carribbean refurb will hopefully be completed, and we may get lucky with a 1900 Park Fare return. DD14 is well past the age it would have been cheaper to visit, and it anything less character meals mean it will be cheaper now.

TomboyJanet

The reason being is that Disney is in a tailspin right now. Their movies are just horrible and even when they try and piggyback on Walt's legendary success like Snow White, they make a live action "remake" and have the main actor just trash the original story and concept. Despite the fact that there isn't a Disney company without the success of Snow White in 1937. I am wondering if Disney is just too deep into things now where there isn't any turning back. This is a company that set the standard for animated movies and even had some classic live action films. I am trying hard to think of the last movie that Disney created that was any good. Or that had a lot of popularity. Would it be Frozen?

Anyway, the lack of creativity, the wading into political culture and the fact that there is just a deliberate breaking away from the roots of the company and and ignoring of the guest experience is just a couple of things that come to mind. There is an old story about how Walt first rode Jungle Cruise and was livid with how the ride only lasted 3 minutes or so. He pointed out how they paid a lot of money for the animatronics and how the guests weren't getting the whole experience that he wanted. Imagine, a CEO wanting to emphasize how much bang for your buck the guests got. It isn't something you figure Bob Iger or Bob Chapek would say. It doesn't seem like something Disney has really deliberately tried to do. If there would be a complaint nowadays from up above you figure it would be because there isn't a gift shop to gauge the customer on the way out.

It makes you miss the 1990s Disney experience that seemed to put a lot more emphasis on families enjoying their day. And there isn't a Roy Disney Jr. anymore, or a Michael Eisner to help flip things around. I am not saying it can't happen, but there has to be a major overhaul of things for them to go back to their roots.

So basically what I am saying is that with the quality of movies out my thought is the parks are the next casualties. I think the parks still have enough "old school Disney" mentality in them to make it worthwhile but I am concerned that they are next on the chopping block all in favor of profit, while sacrificing quality. So do other people feel that there is an urgency to visit them now before things crumble?
I agree with all of this except the politics thing because I think inclusivity is important (but not at the risk of losing Splash Mountain, I just mean well throw us a Lesbian princess for once hello? we're people too! well bi but close enough a kiss is a kiss right?)

But anyway, Lately I've felt like I'm rushing to fullfil a bucket list of riding my favorites again before the end of the (Disney) World. It started with Toad, Horizons, and Imagination in the late 90s and then just started rolling faster and faster and spiraling out of control. I never thought they'd come for Splash. I mean I had a feeling in the back of my head but I was like NAHHH It's part of culture itself. Even Spongebob referenced it. Even Elvira referenced it as Slash Mountain in her haunted carnival simulator ride. This is like knocking down the Eiffel tower and putting up a mall. They also seemed to systematically laser focus target everything I thought was special, like the fountains at Epcot, and the open roofs in the queue of space mountain. What was the POINT OF THAT?

Now it's like Star Wars Star Wars Toy Story Toy Story Marvel Marvel Star Wars Toy Story Moana Moana Star Wars Marvel. You have Maelstrom replaced with a watery meet and greet where you get defenestrated from Elsa's castle (Is it the haunted mansion?) You got Ratatouille's watch other people eat on tv the ride, you got Tiana's plothole waterfalls with no context in the story happy sappy nothing happens 2 animatronic (hyperbole) ride, and Great Movie Ride's elaborate masterpiece sets reduced to screens on walls.

My Advice is to cherish Thunder Mountain Space Mountain Country Bears Tiki Room Dinosaur Tower Rocknrollercoaster Spaceship Earth The Land and any others of the like before they become glorified gift shops with an exhibit worthy of manhattan temporary expiriences passed off as a ride.

DisneyFanatic12

I agree with all of this except the politics thing because I think inclusivity is important (but not at the risk of losing Splash Mountain, I just mean well throw us a Lesbian princess for once hello? we're people too! well bi but close enough a kiss is a kiss right?)
I can’t disagree with you. Either people agree that there can be 0 kissing in children’s movies, or kissing is fine. I don’t understand how straight people kissing in a movie isn’t “inappropriate” while a non straight person kissing is “inappropriate” and part of some evil conspiracy.
Now it's like Star Wars Star Wars Toy Story Toy Story Marvel Marvel Star Wars Toy Story Moana Moana Star Wars Marvel. You have Maelstrom replaced with a watery meet and greet where you get defenestrated from Elsa's castle (Is it the haunted mansion?) You got Ratatouille's watch other people eat on tv the ride, you got Tiana's plothole waterfalls with no context in the story happy sappy nothing happens 2 animatronic (hyperbole) ride, and Great Movie Ride's elaborate masterpiece sets reduced to screens on walls.
I personally think Ratatouille is as close to perfect for the pavilion as possible. It adds a nice area to the France pavilion that gives it dimension, and the ride might not be everyone’s favorite, but at least the expansion is great. I’d be happy with every country getting something similar. Some sort of Mulan ride in China, Lady and the Tramp or something in Italy, etc.. Epcot NEEDS rides and I think these sort of rides can be a draw for families while keeping most if not all of the cultural integrity.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

I personally think Ratatouille is as close to perfect for the pavilion as possible. It adds a nice area to the France pavilion that gives it dimension, and the ride might not be everyone’s favorite, but at least the expansion is great. I’d be happy with every country getting something similar. Some sort of Mulan ride in China, Lady and the Tramp or something in Italy, etc.. Epcot NEEDS rides and I think these sort of rides can be a draw for families while keeping most if not all of the cultural integrity.

But nothing about Ratatouille, the ride, is even remotely cultural. The only connection is that the movie takes place in Paris. It's not a ride about Paris, or France, French culture, or even French cuisine, it's about running around being chased by the villain.

TomboyJanet

I can’t disagree with you. Either people agree that there can be 0 kissing in children’s movies, or kissing is fine. I don’t understand how straight people kissing in a movie isn’t “inappropriate” while a non straight person kissing is “inappropriate” and part of some evil conspiracy.

I'm fine with Rat being a c ticket ride or maybe B I think it's fine personally I just don't want it to become a template for other bigger things. Kinda like how I don't want Incredicoaster to have incredibles slapped on to it like Hyperspace mountain in Paris

DisneyFanatic12

I'm fine with Rat being a c ticket ride or maybe B I think it's fine personally I just don't want it to become a template for other bigger things. Kinda like how I don't want Incredicoaster to have incredibles slapped on to it like Hyperspace mountain in Paris
I had never seen what is now Pixar Pier before it was rethemed. But when I saw it, that whole area seems extremely out of place. For me, that park has good (Grizzly Peak, Cars land), bad (Avengers Campus), and ugly (Pixar Pier). Avengers Campus gets a lot of hate for the architectural style, but that is what the movies take place in. Marvel movies take place in an alternate universe in the modern day, from how I understand it, and to me the land certainly fits that theme. Not interesting, but themed.

Runaway Railway and Remy are way overhyped, but once the “newness” of it fades, it’ll be a ride you can hopefully be able to ride whenever. Trackless is cool, and projections can be used well, but I agree that there needs to be a balance. If done well, I think some nice dark rides and maybe another e ticket would be good for Epcot. I vote for the Grizzly River Run type ride in Canada. It would be beautiful! Wouldn’t ever happen, but would be amazing.

DisneyFanatic12

But nothing about Ratatouille, the ride, is even remotely cultural. The only connection is that the movie takes place in Paris. It's not a ride about Paris, or France, French culture, or even French cuisine, it's about running around being chased by the villain.
I mean, Ratatouille is heavily influenced by French culture, but yes, the ride itself if not something like Impressions de France THE RIDE (which could have been really cool, obviously the name would be different, but that could be a cool concept). Frozen Ever After feels pushed to me. That takes place somewhere around Norway, and has some minor ties to the culture, but that’s much more of a stretch. Remy’s Ratatouille Adventures only flaw to me is that it only focuses on Paris, and a subset of Paris at that. Yet, it seems to work great as an IP in the land. It’s a good draw for families, and, to me at least, it adds to the overall quality of the France Pavilion. To me, the land is cultural and the ride more so fits in well and adds an attraction for families. Even if you dislike the ride, the extension of the pavilion really makes it feel complete in my opinion.

s&k'smom

If the planets align we hope to go September of 2024. Butttttt I think it will be a last trip. There are other parts of the world we want to see but price wise if we could swing going there we can afford other parts of the world. WDW will always be special to me we brought our kids up on the magic. I love being in the bubble staying at a resort but it is getting beyond our financial means.

Brer Panther

My Advice is to cherish Thunder Mountain Space Mountain Country Bears Tiki Room Dinosaur Tower Rocknrollercoaster Spaceship Earth The Land and any others of the like before they become glorified gift shops
Honestly, I'm the same way. There's a lot of "What will they go after next?!" going on in my head. I probably would've never been able to guess ten years ago that they'd ever close Splash Mountain, Dinosaur, or The Great Movie Ride.

FettFan

Where the company stands politically or socially has very little influence on our decision. Paying premium prices for a bargain basement experience is the major reason.

This. This right here.

Next time I’m in Orlando, I think I’d rather do Sea World instead.

wendysue

We used to go to WDW at least twice a year and have had AP's for a long time, though they are no longer worth it for out of state people. We loved handing off our luggage at O'hare and not dealing with it again until we got to our room. Then we would jump on the first bus that arrived and go to that park. We never made restaurant reservations, so that was not an issue. Just wing it and eat wherever as the food used to be pretty good. So.....this year I have had trips scheduled for May (moved to July) - July trip moved to August - August trip moved to September. - Now Sept. trip moved to October and we probably will end up not going at all. What used to be carefree and fun and time away from the real world has just become exhausting and too expensive.

comics101

Oh, that was a worst case scenario for me. As in a scenario where the company collapses. In that scenario, the parks still wouldn’t close. Someone else would operate them. Far too much money to be made.
At this point, I sincerely hope this happens. Imagine all those P&R revenues being used exclusively on P&R rather than subsidizing Disney+ and expensive acquisitions.

NelsonRD

I am, because the next trip being planned for 2024 is not about me. Our next trip, our girls will be at the age where they can experience everything without restrictions. I look forward to the girls riding space mountain, on the same track as I was kid, before it is redone. Having them appreciate the hotel, restaurants, sights, and shows a little more than just rides. I am looking forward to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom