Does anyone else feel the urgency to visit WDW at this point more than ever?

ToTBellHop

We just got back and it was one of my favorite WDW trips ever. So we are excited to return next year but also happy to do other things inbetween.

There is zero risk of WDW closing. Parks and Resorts are very profitable. They’d spin off into their own entity in the worst-case scenario. Just don’t let Elon buy them…

John park hopper

Belly up, yes, that is always a possibility. Or just sold to someone and when they buy it they change the feel of things to suit how they view it. I went to Dollywood last year, and it is lovely, and there is no sign of it ever being anything but a charming theme park that immerses you in what appears to be the eyes of Dolly Parton. That being said, Dolly is no spring chicken, and she may have a lot of say in things now but she won't be around forever. I would suspect that when she passes there will be a feeling that things ought to stay the way she would have liked it. People who worked with her closely will still be employed there for another 20-25 years. But then what? A new generation will come in and say "Ah, I don't like this southern-style hospitality feel to the park, it isn't inclusive enough". And by then these people will never even have met Dolly and will start steering things towards their own vision, perhaps. It could happen, you never know.

It happened with Disney. Sure it took a long time, Walt died in 1966 and there were tons of people that were working there even into the 1990s that knew Walt. Roy Disney Jr. died in 2009 for example, and it seemed even in the Eisner era there was this "let's stick to what Walt did because it worked" type of feeling. But there is a whole new era not thinking this way anymore, and it shows.

All good things have to come to an end someday. It may not be in our lifetime but strange things have happened. In 1957 the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants both left town and went out west never to return to their original baseball cities. The Roman Empire comes to mind too. Great institutions can die and fade away and be a shell of their former self. There is still a lot of the old school Disney at the parks and that feel I would say can still be there, but my thought is that it is dwindling gradually.

As for the Covid stuff, there are these rumors of things starting up again, but they said that last fall/autumn as well. I think they will always dangle a carrot over people come the start of flu season as a "What if" sort of distraction. Personally as good of a job as they did selling that agenda in 2020 (I saw it for what it was from the beginning much to people's anger towards me) I don't think they can pull it off again, so I wouldn't worry about it. But yeah, Disneyland especially was closed for an entire year, and it is foolish if people don't think this had a horrific impact on everything from price increases to losing the magic and whatever.
As a kid in NY I was a huge Brooklyn Dodgers fan when they left NY I never was a fan again. What Disney has been doing is giving me the same feeling.

Sans Souci

I would recommend she visit Disneyland Paris instead.
She will be able to get a better experience, pay less, and have less travel time to get there with her boys in tow.

It is the most beautiful Disney Park on the planet.
WDW is a sad shadow of the majesty it used to be.

-

They've gone there a few times, but since they were coming to visit us next year, they wanted to take a trip to Orlando. I think they want to go to UNI, too. :)

iamgroot61

In the Parks
No
I think characterizing the company as being in a "tailspin" is a pretty grand exaggeration. From what I've read, their biggest concern right now is the streaming service(s). Their most recent financial report is publicly displayed on their website: HERE.

I have an opinion like everyone else about their live action remakes. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I thought the Little Mermaid remake was good but I think the company should be less concerned about ethnic/racial cast diversity than the excellent telling of a story. GOTG V3 made over $800M globally at the box office, roughly on a par with the other Marvel films. Again, hardly an indicator of being in a tailspin.

Overall, I love Disney, lament the high park prices like everyone else, love the parks, the music, the films, and most of the TV series that have been produced for and released on D+. The most recent SW entry, Ahsoka, isn't wowing me but while I'm a SW fan, I'm not that into the canon and the nitty gritty. The other series have all been pretty entertaining to me.

Iger is in the process of improving the profitability of the company and is trying to bring it back to a creative focus. I trust him to do that.

Marionnette

We just got back and it was one of my favorite WDW trips ever. So we are excited to return next year but also happy to do other things inbetween.

There is zero risk of WDW closing. Parks and Resorts are very profitable. They’d spin off into their own entity in the worst-case scenario. Just don’t let Elon buy them…
There is zero chance of the Parks and Resorts division being sold off. It's the only thing keeping the company afloat right now. Viewership is down across cable and legacy television, the overall box office receipts are disappointing at best and D+ is a black hole where any profits from the parks go to die. Disney has a history of using the parks as their cash cow. They're not going to sell it off.

John park hopper

Iger increasing profitability------raising prices, cutting services

creative focus--------build more DVCs, politically correct old rides
Iger's has to do a lot more

Weather_Lady

I can't say that anything to do with the financial health of the Disney company or its other branches plays any part in my desire to visit the parks. Any sense of urgency I feel is more about excitement to take a vacation, than it is about fear of missing something. I don't believe the Disney parks are going anywhere, even if the company is taking a financial hit from a few different directions right now, as a result of some poor choices (e.g., unnecessary and unwanted movie remakes and "franchise churning" instead of generating new content, nickel-and-diming park guests while simultaneously gaslighting them and telling them they asked for this kind of "flexibility," underpaying/overworking cast members, undermining the company's credibility by repeatedly announcing and hyping exciting new projects that never come to fruition).

My desire to visit WDW (or any other comparable theme park destination) is solely related to what's happening in the parks and resorts themselves at any given time: Are there any new attractions, shows, hotels, or restaurants to try? What attractions/restaurants/shows/resorts are gone or under refurbishment? What policies have changed that help or harm our ability to tour effectively? What amenities have been added or subtracted? What are current crowd levels, ride downtime statistics, park hours, and wait times?

The WDW I fell in love with as a child, or even introduced my children to 12 years ago, is gone, and the WDW of the future is uncertain. Like Edna Mode, I just have to shut out anything that "distracts from the now," and not let nostalgia for the past or worries about the future affect my decisions. :)

Last edited:

DisneyFanatic12

I won’t address the rude and baseless part of your reply, but regarding The Force Awakens, totally understand if you and the OP didn’t like it. However, that doesn’t change the fact that they do indeed have many post-Frozen hits.
I’ll even add one of Disney’s favorites to the list… MOANA! There’s been dry spells before, and it is sad to see, but it’s always come back. They way I see it, a movie is a form of art. In every different art piece, some people love a piece artwork and others think it’s ugly. Doesn’t detract from the fact it is art. I, for one, really enjoyed Turning Red but hated Soul. That’s the opposite of most other people. I know many people that HATE Black Panther, while the majority really enjoyed it! At the end of the day, a movie is like any other form of art, some will find beauty in a piece where others do not.

ppete1975

I always forget that The Eternals movie exists LOL. I don't think the movie or script was all that bad considering it's a superhero movie (not like the awful Wonder Woman 1984). The thing I hated most about The Eternals was the bad casting.
worst part is they tried to introduce 100 new characters and explain their backstory and have a plot of the movie. No way that was going to ever fit into the runtime and not feel rushed disjointed and lackluster.

ppete1975

The original story is problematic. It is inconceivable that it wouldn't be regarded as such in the modern era.
Which is why its prob best to leave it in the past and have new stories. Allow people to enjoy the classic masterpiece. And move on to new things.

ToTBellHop

There is zero chance of the Parks and Resorts division being sold off. It's the only thing keeping the company afloat right now. Viewership is down across cable and legacy television, the overall box office receipts are disappointing at best and D+ is a black hole where any profits from the parks go to die. Disney has a history of using the parks as their cash cow. They're not going to sell it off.
Oh, that was a worst case scenario for me. As in a scenario where the company collapses. In that scenario, the parks still wouldn’t close. Someone else would operate them. Far too much money to be made.

Disstevefan1

There is an old story about how Walt first rode Jungle Cruise and was livid with how the ride only lasted 3 minutes or so. He pointed out how they paid a lot of money for the animatronics and how the guests weren't getting the whole experience that he wanted. Imagine, a CEO wanting to emphasize how much bang for your buck the guests got. It isn't something you figure Bob Iger or Bob Chapek would say.
Good point. Walt cared about his guests. Bob and Bob only care about their legacy and their MONEY.
So do other people feel that there is an urgency to visit them now before things crumble?
Folks should go before it gets worse.

Smugpugmug

I plan on going Memorial day weekend next year but that's a quick weekend trip. I don't have any plans on going as part of a week long vacation anytime soon. Instead I'm going to Japan in 2024 and maybe Turkey in 2025. There's a big world out there outside of WDW.

Lilofan

I plan on going Memorial day weekend next year but that's a quick weekend trip. I don't have any plans on going as part of a week long vacation anytime soon. Instead I'm going to Japan in 2024 and maybe Turkey in 2025. There's a big world out there outside of WDW.
Turkey specifically Istanbul is a foodie paradise . Come hungry and enjoy the sights and sounds of this magical country.

JIMINYCR

Good point. Walt cared about his guests. Bob and Bob only care about their legacy and their MONEY.

Folks should go before it gets worse.
The major difference was that Disney was Walts from the beginning. He put in the work, the pain, lived through the ups and downs, put in his sweat, the personal risk, his reputation and name. Everything about the business was personal. His investment and the fear of losing it made it something more than an office, a job, a stock, a seat on the board. The two Bobs had it handed to them and its less personal and more about themselves and what they can get out of it than what happens to the guest. Eisner began caring until it became more about himself.
Thats the way many businesses go when the first or second generation of owners hand control off to one who has no connection to what it took to get there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom