Does anyone else avoid these boards when you are struggling with money?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
The reason being, as you can see I'm a Disney vet. But I do know how much it costs to go. I am truly a blessed man, I have a lovely wife, a soon to be three year old son and according to the ultra sound a daughter due in February. That being said, we are in a bit of a bind financially. We're keeping the wolves from our front door and such but at this very moment there is little chance (but still a bit of a chance) of taking a Disney vacation this year. I would have done it in the fall with a 6-7 month and a 3 year old, but right now financially I'm just doubting that can work unless 2014 is a really prosperous year. I know I'll work as hard as I can to make it happen but it may not.

That being said, I took a bit of a hiatus from these boards because it just gets depressing to know there isn't a trip in the near future. But with New Year's upon us there is hope and this board always take me back.

But do others avoid this board if there is no chance in the immediate future for a trip?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I come to these boards to virtually interact with many that I enjoy interacting with. These people happen to enjoy Disney as well. Hats off to @wdwmagic to foster a place that you can have fun with others at a level that goes deeper than our common interest.

So to answer the question, I absolutely come here when it's not feasible for a Disney trip.

rt06

I would compare it to something like the Travel Channel or National Geographic. It's a very good possibility I won't ever visit some of the destinations, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy hearing about it. Will I ever stay at the Grand Floridian? I doubt it, but I'll still read about it if the topic interests me. Sometimes there is an episode or a story I can relate to, and it brings a flood of welcome memories.

Someone once asked, "What is your earliest memory at Disney?" and having never really thought about it, it turned out my earliest memories involved my father. It's something that made me happy and sad at the same time. What other forum will do that to you?

Last edited:

Spikerdink

I know how you feel - for the past four years I have been shuffling bills here and there and missing some payments while I hoped to find more money next week. I used to go to Disney twice a year and now have been going every two for shorter periods of time. I come here to hear about trip repots, listen to rumors of future plans, and live vicariously.

In a few years you will have two big reasons to share your love of Disney and build memories that last your kids lifetimes.

My advice - splurge a little and buy a cookie jar with your favorite Disney character. Put any spare change you have (or find in the parking lots, etc) and make it your Disney fund. It will add up slowly, but you can see progress towards your dream vacation....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
If I slipped into a financial downturn, where I could not afford to visit WDW, I'd still come here to the forums to enjoy others' experiences and keep up with the news. The forum members provide some great information, insights, and lots of entertaining discussion.

Even if I was destitute, I could still dream about planning a happy vacation for the future. If nothing else, dreams are free! :)

smk

I read trip reports and I feel better. I have been so many times and yet each report somebody goes somewhere or puts a picture up and I think, hey, I haven't seen that or done that ever before. So, I get my fix here.

I cannot go again this year because I am saving to go to Italy, in two years. However, I will go back. I will eat peanut butter and jelly for weeks to save a buck if I have to. Nothing scares me anymore, we have been to the dark side and back out again and I refuse to let money get me down. My daughter and son-in-law are working their tails off, paying off student loans and barely have two dimes to rub together so when the time comes and my sweet grandson needs to go to WDW I (we) will take them all. Chin up, things will get better, and where there is a will, there will always be a way! Until then, make some pleasant dreams.

jackson2005

Money is always a problem. but after going with my grandchildren I would say you are better off to save and go when the baby is 18 months or older,( before 2 so you don't have to pay for her..) The kids would be at a better age for all to enjoy. I think all of us would like to go more often, but go when we can...

LondonGopher

Brother, I feel your pain. ;)

Because we have to fly from Europe, the cost of a trip is massive (especially now that more than half the ticket cost is tax...grr...politicians...£$^%&*&*^%!). DH has his own business and things have been rough since the economy collapsed. We only go "home" to America every few years.

Here's what's worked for me (I am not qualified to give YOU financial advice - just ask my husband :D).

I have a jar (love the character cookie jar idea above!) and DS and I put all our coins (under £1) in it. I also put in all "found" money and all unexpected monies. I take NO "paycheque" money or money that is ear-marked for bills or groceries...just "extra" money. That is the holiday fund. And just starting the fund and knowing that it's growing is enough to get me ready to plan (and excited to read guidebooks, TRs...).

And...this year we go to Aulani! It took DS and I two years to save the cash...but that's OK. My husband rolled his eyes for the first few months and the lady at the bank actually laughed at me when I brought in my coins to pay for the flights - but who's laughing now? :happy:

Sending all best wishes for a happy and prosperous new year!.

bjlc57

Brother, I feel your pain. ;)

Because we have to fly from Europe, the cost of a trip is massive (especially now that more than half the ticket cost is tax...grr...politicians...£$^%&*&*^%!). DH has his own business and things have been rough since the economy collapsed. We only go "home" to America every few years.

Here's what's worked for me (I am not qualified to give YOU financial advice - just ask my husband :D).

I have a jar (love the character cookie jar idea above!) and DS and I put all our coins (under £1) in it. I also put in all "found" money and all unexpected monies. I take NO "paycheque" money or money that is ear-marked for bills or groceries...just "extra" money. That is the holiday fund. And just starting the fund and knowing that it's growing is enough to get me ready to plan (and excited to read guidebooks, TRs...).

And...this year we go to Aulani! It took DS and I two years to save the cash...but that's OK. My husband rolled his eyes for the first few months and the lady at the bank actually laughed at me when I brought in my coins to pay for the flights - but who's laughing now? :happy:

Sending all best wishes for a happy and prosperous new year!.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom